Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dolls and Ragdolls  (Read 1285 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dolls and Ragdolls
« on: April 28, 2015, 05:08:52 pm »

I was thinking that making ragdolls out of old xClothesx would be a good way to help reduce clutter in forts.  Basically, construction requires a clothier, and turns 1 unit of any worn-out cloth/silk/yarn item into a new but low-value toy.  This would give the clothier experience, and provide a good that could be either exported (albeit at a cheap price) or, if/when toys become more fully implemented, become a slightly-better-than-nothing toy for children.  As a higher-class counterpart to this, regular dolls and/or stuffed whatevers could be made fresh from yarn/cloth/silk and, of course, be worth much more than the recycled-material versions.  They'd basically have the same value and game-function as all other toys, of course, and their production would be one more use for the clothing industry.

If/when toys do become more important, it could also be cool for the dolls to have names bestowed upon them by their owners, and the other plush toys could be randomly-selected species; for example:

"This is *Urist McSnuggly*, a stuffed Giant Olm.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  Urist McSnuggly is made from expertly-woven cave spider silk.  The thread is midnight blue with dimple dye. "  Etc, etc.

Thoughts?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Dolls and Ragdolls
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:25:56 pm »

That is a very cool thought, and I like the forethought you put into the suggestion, I support it.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 04:09:34 pm »

I like this, I support this.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:08:19 am »

Toady mentioned using old damaged clothes to make paper, this sort of material recycling will definitely be a thing. There are plenty of uses for old cloth, and ragdolls are a good suggestion. Well thought.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 09:45:15 am »

If this required thread to make the ragdolls and took place at a clothier's workshop it would provide a reason to have a loom and c. workshop even if you don't want to make clothes... And the type of creature or thing it was made to resemble would probably be based on the maker's preferences. I could imagine a dwarf making a *pig tail fiber plush* out of -pig tail fiber socks- in the shape of a door...

+1 support

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:01:45 am »

I like this.

Solarius Scorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Intergalactic Radio Station
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 12:34:24 am »

Great idea. If you can't have a ragdoll trampled into the ground to symbolise war in your game, your game is not hardcore enough. :)
Dwarf Fortress: Strike the earth for all it's worth!