Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Why are you NOT a DF master?  (Read 13628 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Why are you NOT a DF master?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 08:48:05 am »

I cannot minecart.  Also, no magma pistons or any other big megaprojects.  Hell, I haven't even finished my any large-scale aboveground defenses outside of a fairly standard palisade-wall with a barracks and depot building built into the side.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 02:26:49 pm »

I can do aboveground stuff with relative comfort. I am very stoked for the taverns release. The first thing I do on most forts is build a tavern-like structure with an open dorm up top for new migrants to use before they get a room. I use minecarts for hauling a lot of stuff actually; I consider them essential for transporting blocks. I like making forts that use siege weapons extensively (the siege interface included in dfhack inspired this) and I have about all the basics down.

But! I've never made adamantium armour, have never broken through an aquifer, never brought magma to the surface and have only opened HFS once. No idea how mead works.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 12:45:52 pm »

I cannot minecart.
minecarts... what are they?  how do you use them?  these things I do not know.
Outside of dwarfputing and exotic weaponization I don't see any reason for minecarts and haven't gotten around to learning them.
Minecarts I find almost no use for.
Things like minecarts and hauling and the new military screen, I just never really bothered to get proficient with everything.
Still not completely comfortable with minecarts.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 07:49:15 pm »

I've never breached the Candy, never used power or minecarts, and never dealt with magma. I've done pretty much everything else. My current fort is an above-ground castle that has survived 20+ sieges at this point, plus droves of wearweasels and megabeasts.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 10:28:40 am »

Pumps: Made one once to purify a small pool of dirty water. Mastered it.

Aquifer: Flooded my fortress but I kept playing. Aquifer defeated.

Mine carts: Built my first cart, and a theif creature stole it. Well it went somewhere right? Mine cart pro.

HFS: Opened it up, and swiftly plopped a wall over the entrance. I clearly won here.

Evil Biome: Well I beat the HFS (see above) so I always assumed id just win here all the same.

Soap: My dwarves are too manly for such things, so I don't know why I'd make it in the first place.

Clearly I have mastered many aspects of the game; but sometimes I tend to shoot low on self imposed victory conditions.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 11:56:55 am »

-Even though I often build pumpstacks, obsidian traps, liquid pressure plate systems etc and aboveground megaprojects (which I rarely finish) I almost never use minecarts. I have built a few forts with minecart hauling paths in mind but never really got them working as efficiently as I wanted. (And dorfs and animals kept getting hurt by them even after tinkering with traffic areas) All I use the minecarts for is refuse chutes and weaponized carts.
-Also, even though I make most of my forts in terrifying biomes (often bordering joyous wilds when possible) I have never built a long surviving fort on a resurrecting biome. They almost always have a small patch of non-resurrecting biome available. I prefer husk or thrall clouds but I never seem to find them nowdays.
-No-pick embarks are fun but never on resurrecting biome
-I don't think that I have ever made mead or purring maggot milk.
-I never really mastered the adventure mode or bothered playing it for long. Only once have I retrieved the candy sword from a curious undergroud structure in adventure mode (darn hard to find. Shame that they got removed) and never actually cleared a human tomb (and lived) or become a necromancer as an adventurer.
-I never got my more complicated modding projects working properly. (How the heck can I make dorfs use the thread they get from shearing the beards from other dorfs? They refuse to weave beard thread into cloth no matter what I do)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:05:39 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 04:35:55 pm »

Aquifers, minecarts.

Although I did build a wall around hell, so that kind of makes up for it.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 08:42:41 am »

I STILL haven't managed to train an efficient militia without exploiting danger rooms. Even when 90% of my population is in squads of three training around the year, I always end up with dabbling recruits teaching the proficient axemen striking and biting. If it weren't for hunting wildlife and executing prisoners, I doubt they'd gain any skills at all! For the love of Armok, what am I doing wrong?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 08:13:47 am »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:39:18 pm by penguinofhonor »

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 06:24:44 pm »

Still never opened the clown car. By the time I reach the third cavern layer/magma sea, my fort has usually grown to to the point where either the FPS is terrible or I've had a new embark that I want to try.

Also it's scary.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 08:43:47 pm »

I died when I saw that ICP pic. It portrays my feelings exa-cat I need to type with these hands stop laying on my arms and torso. Anyway to answer OP:

Never...
completed an aboveground megaproject
started harvesting cotton candy without using DFHacks revealhell command
built a fort focused on efficiency instead of providing for all my dwarves
treated a noble properly
weaponized something not meant to be utilized in combat
farmed an animal for trade
purposely started war with the humans
had a King/Queen come to my mountainhome
successfully embarked near a Tower/in an Evil biome/on top of another settlement
participated in a succession fort that went past my turn. Though to be fair I only involved myself in one LFR fort since I don't trust myself not to screw up in some big way, and burrows bugged during a lizardman raid right after I scared off a Shedim army with my bristling beard. So obviously a dwarf had to go grab a shedim corpse and obviously he died wearing a pair of gorgeous plain socks of poor quality that everyone needed.

I've been playing since the ass end of 2D, and it seems like every time I start getting the hang of something I move on to a new version with niftier stuff and some squished bugs only to have the thing I get almost capable of doing to itself be bugged. But it helps me learn how to Dwarf in various methods, so I'm not complaining. I dunno why people get so attached to certain versions of DF. As my mom always said, "When one atomsmasher closes, another opens."

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 01:52:06 pm »

i have only played for half a year. non stop. not enough time to even learn the basics.

hell i cant even get my military to wear the right gear, and my ranged units refuse to even train their archery!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 04:01:21 pm »

Massive pump stacks and anything related to tracks. The former I've gotten some headway with, namely in the creation of small pumps and power generators but tracks? Haven't even started. Soap was also something I very rarely made, and I've never fertilized any farms, opting instead to just have massive farms.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 03:49:31 am »

I don't play DF hardcore mode. Prefer to start easily, avoid evil biomes (although not lately), don't do random stuff for FUN (unless drunk), and generally play pretty carefully. I hate losing my fortresses cheaply.

Never built a pumpstack as well. I generally tend to build stuff like walls and castles and traps and stuff with magma. And maybe an obsidian maker, and a windmill. That's about how I use mechanics. Vertical/horizontal axles ? Bah. So unnecessary.

Ballistae ? What's that ?

HFS is honestly easy if you are prepared. Just throw enough legendary warrior dwarves at it, and know how to properly make battlements. Though I haven't breached it in quite a long time.

Besides, I am far too absent-minded to be a DF master. It sounds like too much hassle to me, checking everything and controlling everything every ten seconds of game.

If the game is no longer fun, then it's time to stop playing like you do, after all.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:51:38 am by Naryar »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 10:40:07 am »

So far this has very enlightening.  I'm surprised so many haven't gotten minecarts working, though I suppose they are pretty complicated, a single mistake with engraving the tracks or setting up the hauling screen can cause the whole system to not work with no obvious indication why.

But It's very handy for getting large amounts of heavy ore down to magma level forges.

It should be noted that cart systems where you just push the cart down the track are awesome but impractical.  It's so much easier to build a minecart system where you have a dwarf guide the cart.  Fewer derailing, fewer cases of accidentally minecart shotgunning your dwarves with lead ore, and fewer bloodstains on the tracks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6