Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it worth modding before the next release?  (Read 1887 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Is it worth modding before the next release?
« on: August 07, 2015, 03:38:59 pm »

So I've got a bunch of new things I want to try modding (like Furry Fortress 2: Bigger and Badger) but I'm hesitant to commit because I feel like the next version of Dwarf Fortress could be released any day now.  I get the sense from Toady's updates that he's gotten a lot done and isn't running into any unexpected delays, but I don't have a sense of how close he is to making the next release.  I don't know if he's going to tie up some loose ends and push the new release next week or get started on embark scenarios and have it done next year.  I'm really excited about taverns, temples, libraries and repaired sieges, so a big part of me wants to wait and play with the new stuff, but if the wait's going to be a long long time, I might as well have fun modding while I wait. 

I'm fairly confident that Inorganics, Plants, Armor and Weapons won't go through any major changes so I don't mind modding those. 

Creatures might get a few new tokens to deal with drunkedness, social/religious needs, but these things might work with the existing personality traits.  However, messing around with playable creatures strikes me as the hardest part to mod and the part I'd least like to redo. 

I feel like Entity tokens will surely change.  It's not a huge deal to rewrite an entity, but hopefully I'll have a lot of them. 

Do you guys have a sense of what will change and when? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth modding before the next release?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 05:37:47 pm »

yes

update will probably be save-breaking raw-wise, but:

1. drunkenness is almost surely a syndrome thing
2. updating creatures will be MAYBE one or two minor token changes
3. entity tokens will probably not require a rewrite, just maybe minor token additions

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:49:20 pm »

I agree. It's never worth it to wait.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 11:07:33 pm »

I made a mod for 34.11 and all I had to do was add my changes to the new creature_standard and entity_default files. Updates aren't always a big deal for raw-based mods.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 09:13:19 am »

If you were to create your mod using PyDwarf, which is for the greater part version-agnostic, then the update would have a minimal impact on your mod.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 12:42:05 pm »

Same deal with Rubble :) I do most of the work required for updates, mods just become magically compatible.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 06:34:31 am »

I use WinMerge to compare the raws between versions when I update my personal mod. Endlessly meaning to try Rubble or PyDwarf.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 08:30:08 am »

I just released the latest version of Fortress Defense, so I guess I have to say it was worth modding? We'll see how close to the new release Toady really is.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 08:53:44 am »

Thanks everybody, you've definitely inspired me to go for it. 

But besides to mod or not to mod, I'm just really excited to try the new version's features.  I really wish I had a sense of how close Toady is to being finished, like if he's just finalizing the last couple features or if he's going to add a whole new arc afterward. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 11:36:46 am »

It's the former, but don't hold your breath. The new version is always about 5 weeks away.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 04:14:39 pm »

Thanks everybody, you've definitely inspired me to go for it. 

But besides to mod or not to mod, I'm just really excited to try the new version's features.  I really wish I had a sense of how close Toady is to being finished, like if he's just finalizing the last couple features or if he's going to add a whole new arc afterward.

The release cycle seems to be about 2 years long, so I wouldn't be expecting anything new until fall/winter 2016. That does depend, of course, on what Toady's goals are and how close he is to completing them, but there's always more he can do between releases.

Once a release cycle comes to a close and a new version hits, there's turmoil for several months while he gets everything bug-swatted to the best of his ability, and finally a stable release (0.34.11, 0.40.24, etc.) will stick around for 20+ months until the next major update.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 04:32:00 pm »

Toady may be releasing updates faster now, so there may be a release by the end of this year, but we can never be sure.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 09:08:48 pm »

From his devlog, I've gotten the impression that the next release will be any day now.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »

The devlog talks of finalizing bits and pieces of the code, to the best of my comprehension. Most recently, the integration of libraries into dwarf mode.
Doesn't lend itself to an impending release, just to an impending shift in focus. That may well be towards more concrete bugfixing for release, but even in that case there could be any amount of time before.
My personal estimate puts the next release a bare minimum of a month out, still.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 05:52:55 pm »

The devlog talks of finalizing bits and pieces of the code, to the best of my comprehension. Most recently, the integration of libraries into dwarf mode.
Doesn't lend itself to an impending release, just to an impending shift in focus. That may well be towards more concrete bugfixing for release, but even in that case there could be any amount of time before.
My personal estimate puts the next release a bare minimum of a month out, still.
My personal estimate is a little different.

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 ...

Just kidding.  It's worth modding now because even after the new release, this will still be the "stable" version for the foreseeable future.  And what you learn fiddling with this version will be mostly transferable to the next.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map