Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Person Tribes  (Read 1457 times)

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
Animal Person Tribes
« on: May 01, 2015, 05:31:13 pm »

I think that surface animal people should form tribes on occasion. Something like "The Tiger Men in The Scaly Forest united under a strong leader." They wouldn't be civs like the underground animal people(due to being recent creations), just groups like bandits.
Re: Animal Person Tribes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 06:02:05 pm »

They could be recruited as mercenaries or gladiators.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:34:16 pm by AlexanderTheIncompetant »
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:13:25 pm »

I think that surface animal people should form tribes on occasion. Something like "The Tiger Men in The Scaly Forest united under a strong leader." They wouldn't be civs like the underground animal people(due to being recent creations), just groups like bandits.
I think there plans already in place for an independent group to more-or-less spontaneously form a new civ under the right conditions.  It remains to be seen if the responsibility of actually running a city-state moderate their ethics and values.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 06:15:28 pm »

I think there plans already in place for an independent group to more-or-less spontaneously form a new civ under the right conditions.  It remains to be seen if the responsibility of actually running a city-state moderate their ethics and values.
But this is about animal people spontaneously forming a group. The forming a civ one would be a related idea,

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:32:07 pm »

But this is about animal people spontaneously forming a group. The forming a civ one would be a related idea,
Right, with a strong leader type, a cluster of similar individuals (at first, probably restricted to the same intelligent species) spontaneously form a group.  With some time and success, the group evolves into a civ.

Dawn of Civilization, and after year 1.

Would probably need entities in the raws to serve as templates, with tags that prevent them from being placed in the initial wave.  Normal entities could be templates as well.

So will you tiger man start a bandit nation, or a land of honor duels, or a babysnatching band of brutes, or ... ?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:33 pm »

Right, with a strong leader type, a cluster of similar individuals (at first, probably restricted to the same intelligent species) spontaneously form a group.  With some time and success, the group evolves into a civ.

Dawn of Civilization, and after year 1.

Would probably need entities in the raws to serve as templates, with tags that prevent them from being placed in the initial wave.  Normal entities could be templates as well.

So will you tiger man start a bandit nation, or a land of honor duels, or a babysnatching band of brutes, or ... ?
That would be determined by the leaders personality. A strong leader has influence over his people. Same with gods. Could be anything from a titan, to a mythical being, to your adventurer, to the founding ruler.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 08:10:35 pm »

I look forward to a time when we must worry that one day, from the Eastern steppes, a single young man shall unite the tribes, and form a mighty Tigerman Horde whose feared markstigerman-on-giant-tiger cavalry sweeps through all the lands of men and dwarves...

To be honest, I've been hoping for something where we could actually "adopt" beast-people into our forts for a LONG time.  (I even had a mod a while back where castes were used to make dwarves interbred with four other races, including minotaurs, spider-people, and snake-people.)  Most of them are short-lived and have nothing special in terms of stats or skills, but with modding, they can be interesting...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Revenant342

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:25:43 am »

"Want more FUN?  You're now fighting kzinti."

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 09:30:25 am »

The tigermen I mentioned are friendly to Dwarves, but hate Elves. Just to have something exclusively hostile to elves.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 09:52:55 am »

The tigermen I mentioned are friendly to Dwarves, but hate Elves. Just to have something exclusively hostile to elves.
The entire race of players seems to be unswervingly hostile to elves :)
Just got back, updating:

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:23:47 am »

The entire race of players seems to be unswervingly hostile to elves :)
Yes but we aren't exclusive. We play the field.