Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small UI and Tweaks changes *revisited*  (Read 825 times)

yxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small UI and Tweaks changes *revisited*
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:55:41 pm »

Hello,

I have made a list of small visual and tweaks changes that I like to thing they are a wish list.
I know that there are other older post with the same topic name, but they have zero response
or a new post its made (like this one), I hope ppl uses this post since I had searched until page 40 (+or-) for similar post
and added them to the end of this list, so we can keep just a single post for all the small or little changes
suggestions ('little' in our opinion ;)).

no more intro.

suggestions:

Visual / Menu / Descriptions:
+More description of what its doing a dwarf: "dump item"/"store item", also it says 'item' to body parts and corpses ('V->G')
+An option to see the inventory or full body description of a dwarf from the dwarf description menu ('k'->unit)
+Some message when a dwarf gains some levels in a skill (master, legendary)
+Add someway to know which are the new messages in the battle report since the last time
+Someway to know how much grass left in pasture (like 1/20 tiles have grass - with all the vomit I cant see)
+When a lever has the option do now (!), it cover the letter 'A' of active
+Sort the menu 'V->I' over a unit, body parts appear in random order from one unit to another
   +In the same list of items from the inventory, expand the list to more than just 15 items, it should list all
      the items that allow the screen resolution. (like the 'k' option over the ground)
+An new option in the 'Clothier Shop' or the manager (j->m) to make a full set of cloth (socks, tunic, shirt,... etc)
   +option to make loincloth (currently I got those by siege/raids) (maybe my civ hasn't discover it yet ?)
+The cursor should keep or maintain the last position in the map, Example when you are changing from 'T', 'K', 'V' it always
 reset to the center of the screen.   
+When an enemy its attacked and lost a body part and sails off in an arc:
   +the body part flies away but the cloth remains in the same spot, like you cut an upper leg it losses the shoe, the sock, etc.
      everything should fly together
   +The battle report announce the lost of the objects before the attack has been done, Ex:
      enemy losses hold of the sandal
      enemy losses hold of the sock
      Urist hacks a enemy in left foot and the severed part sails of in an arc!
+Add a confirmation option to 'SEIZE' (s) and 'TRADE' (t) in the trade depot menu

Funtionality:

Stockpile / Areas:
+Someway to know what animal Im adding to a pasture
   +blinking animals? +allow us to set them a nickname? +every animal has a number in his name?   
+Currently my game has "pile of vomit" all over the map (outside), it last too long... there is pile of vomit of ages ago
   + an option do designate an area for cleaning    
+Built objects (door, beds, etc), 'Q' had the option 'engrave/encrust this' with ->  bone, gem, etc...   
+Option to set/assign 'content' to chest, armor stand, weapon stand (armors, gems, weapons, coins, etc) something like it
currently works for chains/cages

Workshops:
+socks/mitten/gloves/small item cloths, should be made like 2-3 pairs (4-6 units) per cloth, currently making just
   2 units of socks take the same amount of cloth to make a cloak/tunic/robe ...
+butchering should give amounts of leather, example a cat: 1 leather, a elephant: 50 leather
+Remove the restriction to the "Butcher's Shop" of 20 tiles (?), it should be able to butcher any valid corpse/body part.

Others:
+An option to ask for bees to mountainhome
+Leather cloth should wear out more slowly than other material (cloth/yarn/silk)
+dwarfs can/could use backpacks to haul items in the fortress.
+multi-hauling should stop grabbing objects when the dwarf its too encumbranced

Similar older posts with a brief description of what is suggested:

A LOT of suggestions!: - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142129.0
+Hoard!
+Arsonist!
+MultitileBeasts!
+Natures Wrath!
+Use Toys and instruments...
+More disease!
+Family friendly rooms!
+Non suicide Hatching!
+Honour!

tweak thread description: - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143312.0
+Change message: "Urist McDwarf cancels weave 'x' into cloth: needs 1 unused collected 'x' thread", tweak
descriptions of thread so that once part of it has been used for suturing, the description now says something
like "partially used" and/or "mostly used"

A couple small UI improvements..: - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143322.0
+add or remove all dwarves from burrows
+add or remove all animals from a pasture
+In testing arena, pressing enter after placing a creature should auto-spawn a duplicate of the last created creature

Quick and dirty UI fixes: - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145157.0
1. Ability to select multiple items in depot interface
2. Cleaning

Tweaks Thread: - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148429.0
+Boxes and bags should be separate on the stockpile>furniture options

sorry for my english, repost, and or ideas that already exist somewhere or are in the dev page, just ignore those :P
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:16:57 pm by yxe »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Small UI and Tweaks changes *revisited*
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:59:49 pm »

I know this is'nt well known anymore, but come on guys! it's right at the top of the suggestions forum. You literaly have to see it everytime you log on!

Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress is a fantasy game. You can check it out at www.bay12games.com. Feel free to discuss any aspect of the game here.

Support Bay 12 Games!

The Dwarf Fortress Wiki

BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION

Check our development pages. You can find everything in one place at this link.
Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old. However, please do not bump threads just to show support.
WHEN REPLYING TO A SUGGESTION

Try to make a contribution. If you like a suggestion, say why you like it and try to refine it if possible. If you don't like a suggestion, say why and be civil about it.
Be respectful.  If you don't intend to show respect, do not post.  If there is a problem, use the "Report to moderator" button on a post in the thread.  Do not handle it on your own.
New posters will not always follow the guidelines above, but if you aren't making an honest effort to be helpful, do not post.  The best option is to ignore redundant threads entirely, especially if somebody helpful has already replied.
Joking around is fine up to a point, of course, but don't be abusive or derail somebody's thread entirely.

Consolidating is fine, but do that at the end of an exsisting thread! This defeats the purpose of consolidating.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:03:18 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

yxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:53:06 am »

Why all that angry man ??? ...

to be fair, none of those topics suggested to make a *consolidation* as you named it. One topic with the name 'suggestions', and nobody cant create a new topic at all.

I did make the effort to search and group similar post and there were some others single post with one idea, or ideas that already are in the game, that I didn't add at all. And I ADD some new ideas.

also from the same message that you quote, you could read the following:

Try to make a contribution . If you like a suggestion, say why you like it and try to refine it if possible. If you don't like a suggestion, say why and be civil about it.
Be respectful.  If you don't intend to show respect, do not post.  If there is a problem, use the "Report to moderator" button on a post in the thread.  Do not handle it on your own.
New posters will not always follow the guidelines above, but if you aren't making an honest effort to be helpful, do not post.   The best option is to ignore redundant threads entirely, especially if somebody helpful has already replied.
Joking around is fine up to a point, of course, but don't be abusive or derail somebody's thread entirely.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:48:03 am »

Helmacon isn't posting angry... and honestly, your response to Helmacon's seemed more angry.  Nor is this post, for that matter, typed in any emotion other than resignation.  People informing you of these things (including Footkerchief if he bothers to come around) are doing this in the spirit of helping you make better suggestions in the future, should you choose to stick around, rather than an affront to your Honor.

There already is a "consolidation" thread for Interface, in any event. (Typically, these are called "megathreads" around here.) The Total Interface Overhaul (Now with Sparkles) thread. It's really good, and covers a lot of ground within its chosen topic.   

Those other things are mostly random, and don't  particularly conform to a single discussion.  If we actually DID just have a free-for-all "suggestions" thread, then it'd be a massive chaotic scene where nobody would be able to easily see whatever else had previously been said in the thread, the same way the Future of the Fortress thread tends to be a sprawling mess.  Megathreads are more conducive to organization of other sub-threads discussing individual ideas than promoting a single cohesive idea, since threads about single ideas are more easily scanned for their debates on the specifics of the idea.

The reason why it is suggested people search for topics like these is that those threads have the benefit of already having many of the points of argument already discussed, and people who have participated in those arguments likely will have refined their arguments due to the feedback and criticisms.  When you blow past all that and start a new thing of your own, you're functionally re-inventing the wheel of the argument, and all you'll be doing is reliving the same argument again and again. 

The thing is, everyone has a complaint about the interface.  That's why this forum is flooded with a ton of suggestions, usually by people who had very low post counts when they posted them, that involve long lists of minor suggestions like these that tend not to generate much discussion, since it's the same argument the last hundred new people had, as well. 

When people have already argued against the same points a dozen times before, they tend to just link back to the last time they argued against it, since you can't muster the energy to keep repeating yourself.  In fact, back when I was more active, I used to just have a form I copy-pasted saying much the same stuff for every "random grab-bag list" thread by a person making a first-time suggestion that argued for every random thing they thought about all at once. 

If you want to advance an idea more seriously, pick a topic of focus, do research on it, show your work by preemptively addressing the criticisms of others, and showing how whatever you are suggesting could actually be implemented quickly and efficiently. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare