Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Things that could be made of other substances  (Read 3952 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Things that could be made of other substances
« on: May 03, 2015, 12:03:11 pm »

Ever think to yourself, why can't I make X out of Y?  Let's make a list. 

Metal Beds  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89407.30 
Cloth Beds
Stone Beds
Glass Ammo
Cloth Armor
Stone Hammers
Wood Statue/Sculpture
Cloth Quiver
Cloth Backpack
Soap Crafts
Metal Slabs
Clay Slabs

And I've thought that Tapestries could work like Cloth Statues.  Maybe created at a Dyer's Workshop, or made at a Clothier's shop but requires dyed thread. 

In the Metal Beds discussion, there was the idea that beds are constructed either as a multi-input item, (like traction benches or lavish meals) where a wood/metal/stone/etc. frame is combined with a cloth/etc. mattress to create a bed, or as a multi-part construction (like a well or screw pump) where the user selects a bedframe and mattress when making the bed as a construction.  Other objects could be created the same way, for example, users could create wooden or metal staffs and then combine them with metal bars to create spears and polearms. 

EDIT: We could also get into new substances like coffee or tea. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:13:18 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that could be made of other substances
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:21:16 pm »

I agree with you on most of these fronts. Albeit, I believe that there was a thread on "making anything out of anything" earlier. (Which ran into the issue of having goblins charging your fort with peat swords and willow war hammers, which I ran into when I modded the game to have all metals to be made into weapons.)

Cloth bed = Hammock?

While we're there, might as well say leather beds, too. (Cots?)

Cloth Quivers and metal slabs already exist, but have the mysterious property of only being made offscreen.

We already have cloth armor in the form of clothes, which does provide some, but mostly marginal protection. Mostly wouldn't be changed by having a "+<<+Cave Spider Silk Breastplate+>>+" or a "*Linen Gauntlet*"

Cloth backpacks, makes sense, and we do have pouches of cloth, I believe.

Glass bolts would work against animals and unarmored enemies. But they would break on contact with even bronze armor, good concept.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 01:42:22 pm »

Wood slabs were suggested before too if you mean to make a collection/mega-thread. Previous mega-threads linked to the individual threads.

Edit to add:
Almost anything you can make from glass you could make from ceramics.

Stone Bins as we can make other stone boxes (coffers, cabinets).

Metal Axles might make sense, but may not be period appropriate.

Toys can't currently be made from any material beside stone, wood, metal, or glass.

Ceramic Goblets

Goblets could also be carved from large enough chunks of bone, horn, ivory/tooth, shell, gem, and maybe even pearl. Skulls from large enough creatures would work too.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:52:30 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:35:38 pm »

Stone beds?
 Also things that shouldn't be:
 Charcoal workshops. seriously. wtf.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:37:20 pm »

Stone beds?

Soap workshops are fine though?

Stone beds make about as much sense as wooden beds without sheets now. I'd sleep in a stone bed.

I've always thought as beds as always needing to be wooden as sort of a balance thing. You need to cut/import wood so your dwarves don't sleep on folding tables. (They're actually comfortable if you're tired enough.) But I guess if the oft suggested "beds should have sheets" could sort that out with a cloth/leather requirement instead.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:06:10 am »

I really don't want to step on the Metal Beds' post too much, I've brought up glass/stone beds in that topic too.  Add your voice to that discussion here:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89407.30  (this page starts the 2015 posts)

I like Vattic's idea of skull cups.  That would be also relieve us from totems totems totems totems totems totems totems and more totems. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:09:42 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 04:22:55 pm »

To carry that metal beds forward...

I'd love for some different bed types to be added.

Bedroll - 3xCloth: Portable, carried by military dwarves
Haypile - 3x Cave Wheat?: The lowest quality stationary bedding, slightly better than sleeping on the ground
Cot - 1 Stone/Metal/Wood + 1 Leather: Stretched leather over a frame, low quality bedding, unhappy thought if not military
Simple Frame Bed - 1 Stone/Metal/Wood + 1 cloth: Normal bedding, equivalent to current bed
Luxury Bed - 2x economic stone OR 2x Metal + 3x Dyed Cloth: Luxury Bedding, extra happy thought for sleeping on and 2x value modifier

This way you could get OK bedding with just wood and leather or just hay but wood + cloth is better. Leather is pretty easy to get normally.

Also, we have feathers in-game, but they have zero in-game use.  (Most birds don't even drop them... Only the really large ones do.)

Feather pillows and mattresses! A high-quality bed could take something like wood/metal for a frame, cloth and padding (wool, cotton or straw or other plant matter, or feathers) to make a mattress, and then be combined into a bed.

Personally, I think it would be better to use something like Gnomoria does, and make beds of higher quality restore fatigue faster (shorter breaks), restore fatigue to a better state than you'd get with just sleeping in the mud or straw on the floor (less frequent breaks), allow injured dwarves to heal faster at a hospital in a better bed, possibly have syndromes for sleeping in the mud too much, and of course, the happy thoughts.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 05:21:46 pm »

Stone beds?

Soap workshops are fine though?

Stone beds make about as much sense as wooden beds without sheets now. I'd sleep in a stone bed.

I've always thought as beds as always needing to be wooden as sort of a balance thing. You need to cut/import wood so your dwarves don't sleep on folding tables. (They're actually comfortable if you're tired enough.) But I guess if the oft suggested "beds should have sheets" could sort that out with a cloth/leather requirement instead.
For the workshops, all materials like that I think shouldn't be allowed. Or should have a penalty such as soap dissolving in water, charcoal burning faster and breaking if someone leans on it... This also applies to stuff like bridges, although the new materials would basically make them unusable or even dangerous, considering average dwarven IQ.

As for everything regarding beds, I think we should be able to build them in all materials that would support the weight of a dwarf (or have unusable *-soap beds to trade to elves-*) I mean, it would be useful for noble's demands, high value rooms and just giving a more dwarven feel to the fortress.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 05:34:44 pm »

Ceramic ammunition would make sense, as it can hold a sharp edge, and the fact that it would shatter on the first use wouldn't be terribly limiting, so long as it could hold up just long enough to get through armor.  Probably useless on steel, but effective against most unarmored fleshy creatures.

Ceramics in general have limited uses, which makes them not terribly attractive, and sort of a forgotten stepchild material. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 08:25:57 pm »

Ceramic ammunition would make sense, as it can hold a sharp edge, and the fact that it would shatter on the first use wouldn't be terribly limiting, so long as it could hold up just long enough to get through armor.  Probably useless on steel, but effective against most unarmored fleshy creatures.

Ceramics in general have limited uses, which makes them not terribly attractive, and sort of a forgotten stepchild material. 
It is however fire resistant, so it could have some uses, mostly in armor, though mostly for exploration than combat.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 10:22:09 pm »

Probably best we stick with beds that can be made at current workshops.

Stone Hammers make sense. But considering how easy it is to power-level stonecrafters, and how easy it could be to import a little pitchblende or run across a little cinnabar...

This is a masterpiece cinnabar warhammer made by Urist McActuallyABrownreclusespiderman, on the item is an exceptionally crafted image of a Dwarf and a Goblin in goblin bone, The dwarf is pulverizing the goblin, This refers to the absolute pulverization of the goblin Smuntsu Eelhell by the dwarf Logum Izegroder in the year 137 using this hammer.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 10:44:37 pm »

The real question is...

Why can't I make anything out of Chitin?

Chitin is like a carbohydrate, so logically you should be able to make it into *Giant Tick Chitin Biscuits.* Or perhaps even *Giant Tick Flour.*

Or Armour in its raw form (Falmer Armour, anyone?)

Or perhaps even being woven into clothing? (Insane)

Chitin armor would go pretty well with bone armor and the like. But in my time squishing bugs, I'm not quite sure I'd want to have chitin as armor, it might be about leather/wood tier.

...maybe I should start another thread?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:49:57 pm by Alfrodo »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 11:14:25 pm »

About stone hammers, supposedly the combat calculations aren't based only on density.  Rock will shatter before metal will, so supposedly a stone hammer would be ineffective against metal armor. 

About Chitin, there should definitely at least be chitin crafts.  Also we simplify it to "chitin" but chitin isn't the only component of arthropod exoskeletons.  Lobster and crab shells combine chitin and calcium carbonate, which is extremely tough. 

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:24:11 am »

Chitin is like a carbohydrate, so logically you should be able to make it into *Giant Tick Chitin Biscuits.* Or perhaps even *Giant Tick Flour.*

On this note; Chitin is actually a large component of Fungi, which dwarves eat in droves. So they really already consume Chitin, although I've never heard of any society making meals out of pure chitin.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 05:24:24 pm »

About Chitin, there should definitely at least be chitin crafts.  Also we simplify it to "chitin" but chitin isn't the only component of arthropod exoskeletons.  Lobster and crab shells combine chitin and calcium carbonate, which is extremely tough. 

Those are just "shells" in the game terms.

We're looking at bug chitin, not crustacean or anything. Think "Giant Thrips Chitin."

I'm making another thread for this. It looks like the thread's going to derail to chitin.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:26:18 pm by Alfrodo »
Pages: [1] 2 3