Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Ulitmate Marksdwarf Guide - Get Them Training Much More Frequently  (Read 55808 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Ulitmate Marksdwarf Guide - Get Them Training Much More Frequently
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2015, 06:51:38 pm »

This has been immortalized on the wiki at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_Marksdwarf_Training_Guide with confirmed information being added to it.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2015, 10:54:54 am »

Thank you kind Sir, this helped a lot.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2015, 04:52:21 pm »

How so stairs in the way affect archery training? You could try to abuse that.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2015, 03:38:06 am »

Thanks for the guide, it's been quite a help! :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2015, 10:58:00 am »

PTW, Excellent guide :D

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2015, 10:38:27 am »

So in the current version (40.24) I'm noticing with a training barracks assigned they will have demonstrations but they won't spar, out of ammo or not.
No sparring seems to mean no armor/shield training.
I don't recall having an issue with this in prior versions. Normally I give all my military full steel armor & a wooden shield, marksdwarves too. To me, the benefits of armor & shield outweigh the drawbacks by far.
I'm hoping it is just because they haven't had a lot of time to train and will get around to it, curious what others have observed.

Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 11:08:54 am »

So in the current version (40.24) I'm noticing with a training barracks assigned they will have demonstrations but they won't spar, out of ammo or not.
I don't recall having an issue with this in prior versions. Normally I give all my military full steel armor & a wooden shield, marksdwarves too. To me, the benefits of armor & shield outweigh the drawbacks by far.
I'm hoping it is just because they haven't had a lot of time to train and will get around to it, curious what others have observed.
The sparring wont start until they reach ~ weapon level 5

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 02:15:49 pm »

Is it definitely confirmed that marksarves on a patrol route will not dash off for melee when they run out of bolts? I'm tired of trying to find solutions on my own for this.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2015, 02:50:43 pm »

The sparring wont start until they reach ~ weapon level 5

Actually it's more like 2-3. But hammerdwarf would be the appropriate skill which they would not gain with only crossbows.
I'm seeing mixed results now across different savegames. That particular game I had a full squad of marksdwarves and I hadn't seen them spar or train armor/shield.

Another I'm actually seeing armor/shield demonstrations. The squad of 4 started with armor 5/shield 3 (custom 20 embark) so it seems like someone needs to have a few levels of skill to give a demo. I've got them armed with hammers and daggers (lot of dead kobolds) and they like to use all 3 sparring, but in actual combat they are just as likely to bash with the xbow as anything else so as most others have said it is not really recommended. Even a steel xbow only weighs 3 so it's not much of a melee weapon.

As for training, will they ever stop? Like at legendary +5? Or do you need to take away their access to archery ranges at that point. The sheer amount of ammo they can consume is ridiculous.

A couple other thoughts. I have noticed, and this is with DFHack armory-fix enabled, that assigned ammo will be moved by haulers to chests in barracks assigned "store squad equipment" and that the squad will then pickup that ammo as needed. I don't remember what vanilla behavior is, but this is definitly worth using to your advantage if you use dfhack (especially if you don't use QSP).

The armor thing. Steel gloves and boots weight the same as leather (not positive about bronze since it is heavier than steel) so if the metal isn't an issue then you're better off with them. Helmet is slightly heavier but being the lifesaver it is I think it's worth it. Body armor, the weight difference is significant but in my experience it doesn't seem to matter. Also greaves and leggings weigh about the same but the greaves give superior protection. So in a nutshell, depending how well setup one is to ensure their marksdwarves can't ever take return fire or melee damage one may want to consider better armor for them (or even no armor if they are always going to be behind fortifications).

Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2015, 06:35:54 am »

Sparring is melee training and crossbows aren't melee weapons. I don't know what exact requirements must be met, you might need to equip them with melee weapons in addition to their crossbows. I've kept my marksdwarf squad on duty for years, and they never sparred (crossbow and shield equipped; two hammerdwarfs in the squad, but no hammer demonstrations for the marksdwarfs(x), only the hammerdwarfs spar).

(x) which should come as no surprise to anybody - weapon demonstrations are only given if the student already has experience in the skill (can be dabbling), and shooting a crossbow gives no hammer skill. What weapon is equipped is utterly irrelevant.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2015, 01:25:11 pm »

Something I don't quite understand - how do I get my marksdwarves to pick up bolts reliably? I've got a bunch of old silver bolts sitting here and a bunch of marksdwarves not shooting a demon through some fortifications.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2015, 06:33:37 am »

Something I don't quite understand - how do I get my marksdwarves to pick up bolts reliably? I've got a bunch of old silver bolts sitting here and a bunch of marksdwarves not shooting a demon through some fortifications.
They won't reload while they can see an enemy. Best bet is a patrol route from there to an ammo room, I think. Note to self: Putting this here so I can always find it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150323.0
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:14:02 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2015, 09:22:45 am »

Yeah, okay. I think they reloaded after an extra marksdwarf came that had a full quiver.

Malakhaj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2016, 09:03:41 pm »

Hey there,
can someone confirm if setup in this guide still works as of 0.42.05? Have scheduled orders, training room, bolts and everything according to the guide but i still have 1 or 2 dwarfs doing archery training. All other just stand around with soldier (no activity ).

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2016, 09:10:22 pm »

Hey there,
can someone confirm if setup in this guide still works as of 0.42.05? Have scheduled orders, training room, bolts and everything according to the guide but i still have 1 or 2 dwarfs doing archery training. All other just stand around with soldier (no activity ).

For the most part, yes, but the "Train: 1 minimum" thing has been fixed. Leave it at ten, that might help. Also make sure you have enough archery targets.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5