Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ents!  (Read 1421 times)

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ents!
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:37:35 pm »

Now that we have big multi-tile trees, I was thinking that it could be pretty interesting if occasionally particularly large and old trees came alive when a wood cutter tried to cut them down.  Thoughts?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Ents!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:02:01 pm »

I think it should only happen in specific biomes. Maybe just good biomes to make then a bit more interesting.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:24:36 pm »

I think it should only happen in specific biomes. Maybe just good biomes to make then a bit more interesting.
Evil biomes: zombie ents
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:35:55 pm »

This would require multi-tile creatures, which is a pretty massive undertaking.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 08:28:47 pm »

Trees are already dangerous enough as it is, with branch caveins and fps drops and falling logs.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:30:08 pm »

In much earlier unreleased versions of DF the invading elves would have their druids waken trees into treants. It at least sounds like Toady would like to have them back in the game in some form.

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: mastahcheese
Will we ever see plants with the ability to move? Either those simalar to magical treants or as mundane as the common tumbleweed?
Knight Otu brought up grimelings, as plant-like creatures, and I'm not sure what the future will hold in terms of blurring the line between units and trees, etc.  The new trees are more interesting tile-wise, which'll let us theoretically thing about some strange options.  The whole treant question is more complicated now, of course, if they are supposd to be actual moving trees.  It's whiffable in a single-tile way.  But yeah, I'm not really sure what'll happen.
From a FotF reply.

Luckily one that is planned.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:13:24 am »

I'd like to see some non-hostile treants too. Perhaps they should be considered something sacred, rather than another beast to be slain.
I like the idea that elven druids use their magic to awaken trees, rather them being result of biome generation.
I wonder should/would they continue to produce fruit and seeds? I guess another part of this is should they be able to produce fruit/seeds on demand, or be restricted to a specific season.
It would also be interesting to see them hibernate during the winter. I'd also imagine them being immobile, it's hard to see them walking around and banging into the branches of other trees.

Personally, I can't wait to burn one down.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_tree , sapient trees were endowed with the ability to prophesise (Is that a word?) the future and were used for divination between mankind and various deities/spirits. I maintain the concept that rather than being hostile, they maintain a peaceful demeanour. I'm however changing my mind on whether the druids should have the ability to 'summon' them. The ability to generate an instant prophet seems a little... over powered. I'd think that the elven deities, or forces, or whatever, select trees to become ents.

I'm still looking forward to burning one down.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:24:13 am by kontako »
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:33:20 am »

Trees are already dangerous enough as it is, with branch caveins and fps drops and falling logs.

That would be interesting.  In the Ent's dying breath, it crumbles into a pile of wood logs and slams into any nearby dwarves.  Given that an Ent would be essentially a wood colossus, it's just a matter of multi-tile creatures, which I think toady is making anyways. 

Wagons are also technically a creature...
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:24:14 am »

I always found it odd that wood is not used as material for titans and beasts.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 03:53:26 pm »

Wagons are (or were) actually creatures, as there is currently (or until recently) no code for moving constructions.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 08:23:51 pm »

Roomcarnage Zombie caravans. :P

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 10:02:23 pm »

I'd like to see some non-hostile treants too. Perhaps they should be considered something sacred, rather than another beast to be slain.
I like the idea that elven druids use their magic to awaken trees, rather them being result of biome generation.
I wonder should/would they continue to produce fruit and seeds? I guess another part of this is should they be able to produce fruit/seeds on demand, or be restricted to a specific season.

If they produce fruit and seeds while living and wood when dead, they aren't "another beast to be slain", they are a GOLD MINE (well, wood mine) suitable for mass breeding and butchery!

Wagons are (or were) actually creatures, as there is currently (or until recently) no code for moving constructions.

And they are an extremely special case that's basically a total hack which kept falling out of the game in different versions (like early DF 2010) because their code is so utterly finicky and crash-prone.  (They basically only exist as "is every tile adjacent to this one also empty?" and vaporize into nothingness if they aren't.) Wagon code is essentially only capable of producing 3x3 "creatures" that have no attacks or other AI behaviors.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare