Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Animal Justice: A Threetoe Story  (Read 30366 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Justice: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 03:31:54 pm »

I found it particularly fascinating that it sounds like the queen's wooden sword could actually do damage. I guess we'll have to wait for the Artifact arc :D

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 10:40:27 am »

I'm picking up some CS Lewis vibes.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 11:59:55 pm »

I'm picking up some CS Lewis vibes.

why, because it had goodey-two-shoes animal peoples?  i dont know, i think it was pretty true to the way the game universe unfolds.

its hard to put a finger on my favorite threetoe story, but this one is certainly up there.  i especially liked forging the alliance with the birds, born out of hatred.  just like the alliance with the dwarfs, it might not be the most prudent long term deal.

also, i like how the villiany in the story is based on player actions in fortress mode. 

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 06:09:27 pm »

why, because it had goodey-two-shoes animal peoples?  i dont know, i think it was pretty true to the way the game universe unfolds.

Yep, that and because nature prevails in the end over those who try to dominate it, and they wind up destroying themselves (as in The Abolition of Man). Also communing with a powerful spirit. I liked it.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 01:16:41 am »

I wonder when we'll get another story from the one with Three Toes . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

overlordFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 03:50:35 pm »

Threetoe has been possesed by a fey spirit, threetoe has claimed a workshop. Threetoe has created a masterpeice!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 02:41:32 pm »

I wonder, once books and libraries are implented, will you add Threetoe's stories to DF somehow ?

They could be stories found in fey-mood-books, as opposed to the random generated ones
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 04:34:59 pm »

That's an excellent idea, IMO.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 06:22:22 pm »

Imagine that, as part of including 'random content' you can books based on important DF stories from moods.

Urist has been crushed under the story of Nist Akath.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 08:36:52 pm »

I kinda would hope for a Madlibs version of stories.

Mr. Dwarf has gone to the Workshop and was murdered by his evil twin cousin robovanhobotron!

Dwarf Fortress is a game that is at least 20% comedy at any time.

Actually toady COULD take Threetoe's stories and replace any names or objects with blanks to be filled in by the storyteller.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 10:48:29 pm »

Hold on, are you suggesting that elves have a soul? They they actually have a consicence?
I find your theories hard to believe sir.

:-*

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 11:24:35 pm »

And yet... Yeah, I'm still feeling that the racism of the elves and overtones of superiority-inferiority aren't really made up for this. Nice to have a reminder that we're utter bastards though. We forget, at times, that in this world, the elves have thoughts just like dwarfs- animals in this representation as well, to limited and varying degrees. Does Threetoe often come about through the forum?
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 02:27:10 am »

Mor story now!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

SeamanStaines

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 06:39:33 pm »

Frankly, I find the idea of Elves that think offensive.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 07:49:51 pm »

Personally, while on one level I approve of a story which gives the perspective of the oft-hated elves, the idea that the average Dwarf Fortress player is evil...I don't buy it.

Elves are basically willing to commit the greatest evil there is (war) over the destruction of non-living beings (trees, while alive in the biological sense, cannot think, and cannot feel emotions or pain, and so are dead in the only sense that matters) - and that alone. Then they eat people.

While I'm glad to see the elf perspective, I still insist that the Dwarf Fortress elves owe more to Zerg then anything else. And personally, I've /never/ ambushed/stolen anything from a caravan.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4