Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone ever attempted a Dwarf Fortress "server"?  (Read 2648 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever attempted a Dwarf Fortress "server"?
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:33:31 pm »

This is purely out of curiosity. Has anyone attempted to make a dwarf fortress server or anything similar. I am not a coder but the idea fascinates me. I imagine it would be rather difficult to implement seeing as the game is completely geared for single play. If there was such a thing, what are your ideas on it? Would you give it a go? I certainly would. What kind of things would be added by default (like warring neighbors for the claim of the surround land).

Warning! The following contains rambling: An idea just accrued. An rts style dwarf fortress game? A large embark area where 2 dwarf lords start out on each side (could be separated by a wall of rock/earth). They both start with 50 dwarfs of random profession. The object is to kill the other team while maintaining ones own fortress. Lots of strategy could come in. One side could block off the traders for the other. Purposely infect the others with werebeast? Oh the possibilities!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Has anyone ever attempted a Dwarf Fortress "server"?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 07:52:31 pm »

You would need to rewrite the entire game for multiplayer to work, and even then it would probably just be terrible anyway.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:40:58 pm »

Interesting, but looks very technical.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 09:15:39 pm »

Basically what you want isn't possible with any work that has been done. Even with the massive steps forward in creating DF servers no one has created anything where two different people could fully play and issue command at the same time (note this is obviously restricted to what I have heard about, so someone may have made a break through at some point). Your best bet for an RTS like feel would be playing succession forts where you trade turns.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 11:12:10 pm »

Interesting, but looks very technical.

It isn't.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 05:32:56 pm »

Idk how or if this is possible, but maybe you could mod the game to have multiple playable forts on one map, then create a program allowing players to remotely access the game (like a windows server type remote connection) and play. The main complication I see is that with the current way that the game identifies what belongs to the player (everything), it might be hard to have two players on one map, so I think a better alternative would be multiple players controlling one fort (for better or for worse) or multiple forts in the world, but not on the same embark location and the ability to send sort of expeditionary corps to enemy lands (though this might require Toady's support).
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:22:07 am »

Hypothetical question: Lets say my Dwarfy rts idea came to fruition, just as mentioned above and was stable. What interestingly dwarfy strategies can you guys think of to battle the other side? Or perhaps something you would imagine dreading. The other side having there kittenspolsion mature . . . into giant war tigers! (I would name one Hobbes) Or perhaps your fort getting attacked by a dragon while most of your militia is off battling those other dwarfs, again. Maybe your luck is so !fun! the other team seems to keep getting a breeding pair of Roc's. Did your militia captain just die from a very luck throw with a duck by a very desperate enemy dwarf archer out of ammo who just need something to throw near by (Urist Softnogin has bled to death due to a ballistic duck).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:26:49 am by ykcud »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 05:05:33 pm »

Is it possible to have both commands go to the same game; kinda like anchorn mode for starcraft?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:34:19 pm »

Hypothetical question: Lets say my Dwarfy rts idea came to fruition, just as mentioned above and was stable. What interestingly dwarfy strategies can you guys think of to battle the other side? Or perhaps something you would imagine dreading. The other side having there kittenspolsion mature . . . into giant war tigers! (I would name one Hobbes) Or perhaps your fort getting attacked by a dragon while most of your militia is off battling those other dwarfs, again. Maybe your luck is so !fun! the other team seems to keep getting a breeding pair of Roc's. Did your militia captain just die from a very luck throw with a duck by a very desperate enemy dwarf archer out of ammo who just need something to throw near by (Urist Softnogin has bled to death due to a ballistic duck).
When lead poisoning is implemented...
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 05:36:01 am »

Embark with seven pickaxes and seven wooden shields. Equip dwarves, tunnel to opposing side, murder murder murder, win. GG everybody. G fuckin' G.