Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War Dogs are sparring  (Read 2496 times)

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War Dogs are sparring
« on: June 29, 2015, 12:30:25 pm »

I was recently looking at my combat reports when I noticed that there were several unusual ones. Specifically, "The War Dog (name) is sparring." Only one is really recent though.

This I'm pretty sure is a result of the fact that I've assigned a war dog to each of my hammer dwarves (yes, I understand there are reasons not to do this, but I did it anyway for fun, except that they unfortunately burrow with the civilians during alerts.). I figured that maybe the dwarves accidentally hit one and it showed up as a sparring message, but when I looked it didn't really confirm or disprove that:

Okay, well maybe I'll wait for new reports like that in the meantime and try to find out for sure.

But then it gets even weirder. One of the war dogs that had previously been involved in a sparring session now encountered an Ibex, and the following report was given:

The dog apparently was still trying to spar, at least for one attack. I don't know why it snapped out of it afterward, but I wonder whether the flags can be messed up even more than that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:
Here's some of the older reports, however I can't see what's in them anymore.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:33:39 pm by Poldon »

Stovepipe Arnold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Dogs are sparring
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:49:58 pm »

Yeah, military dwarves will initiate a sparring session with anything that stumbles into the barracks. I've had a hammer lord get into a sparring match with a stray cat before. They usually only last for as long as it takes the non-military party to get the heck out of dodge.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »

War dogs sparring are simply war dogs being in the way of sparring dwarves, more specifically in the way of a charge attack made by a sparring dwarf.

But yeah i've seen a jabberer "lightly tapping the target" and inflicting no damage when attacking a baby (he killed it afterwards). That's weird, maybe it's the combat lethality in effect ?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 01:20:25 pm »

War dogs sparring are simply war dogs being in the way of sparring dwarves, more specifically in the way of a charge attack made by a sparring dwarf.

But yeah i've seen a jabberer "lightly tapping the target" and inflicting no damage when attacking a baby (he killed it afterwards). That's weird, maybe it's the combat lethality in effect ?
It appears to be standard practice for wild animals (and apparently work animals not acting on orders) to start off with a light tap to initiate combat.  This would appear to eliminate any advantage from ambushing... has anyone noticed if ambusher predators act differently?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 03:20:12 pm »

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:22:11 pm by VerdantSF »

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:01:42 pm »

I also suspected the combat lethality, actually. And okay, the sparring's probably not unusual either. It was just weird to discover both at once.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 11:06:05 am »

It appears to be standard practice for wild animals (and apparently work animals not acting on orders) to start off with a light tap to initiate combat.  This would appear to eliminate any advantage from ambushing... has anyone noticed if ambusher predators act differently?

Noted in report 8257, "Combat reports use "lightly tapping the target" for attacks that (unintentionally) cause no damage".
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:36:29 pm »

I had a motherless baby spar with the military one time. After that kid grew up, he was a military genius.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 02:40:18 am »

So this must be how the dogs train...
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*