Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Forum Move Begins June 14th  (Read 27641 times)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: Forum Move Begins June 14th
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 06:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
<STRONG>I know this is kind of late, but will the new forum have a built-in expanded keyboard function?  A tool to type letters like Ç æ Å ô ▓ and ╣ right in the reply screen would probably get a lot of use.</STRONG>

Hmm, that would be cool, but there is no such feature. If it's strongly enough desired, I can check into making a mod to add in such a feature. I wouldn't expect it to take me more than a few hours of work (probably less) to whip up a decently polished modification to accomplish that, at least after the specific characters for it are decided on.

Tell you what: once the forum is migrated over, we can start a more in-depth discussion about it.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Janus ]

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

My question is simply will alt-number still let you use all 256 characters and will all of them show properly in the actual posts, since if I remember correctly, some don't.
Eh?
Eh!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by qwertyuiopas:
<STRONG>My question is simply will alt-number still let you use all 256 characters and will all of them show properly in the actual posts, since if I remember correctly, some don't.</STRONG>

I'm not entirely sure about that. The new forum will initially have the same standard ISO-8859-1 character set as the current forum, so if I were to hazard a guess I'd expect no change there.
It would be possible to convert the SMF forum to use the UTF-8 character set, but that could well entail a fair bit more work. I speak from experience having converted the Taleworlds forums to UTF-8 a while back, but the process there was made more difficult due to all of the foreign characters used in the extra language forums (particularly languages using Cyrillic character sets).
Still, not a conversion to be taken lightly and not normally something that would be needed.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 10:09:00 am »

I agree with the no signature pictures.  Avatars I'm for, provided there's a decent size limit on them.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

Wonderful, I didn't expect reforms to take place this swiftly! There is something positive in an autocracy. The community debate on "Should we have a new forum" wouldn't have concluded for years.
fox has become enraged!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

That's why we have Toady One, not Toady Many.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

All for Toad, and Toad for all!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 09:01:00 pm »

I lean more towards opposing avatars and sig pictures, but I also have right-click > adblock so it doesn't really matter.

I like the new forum look.

Also, Mount & Blade is awesome.

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

kuribo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unexplainedbacon.net
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by apache1990:
<STRONG>Avatars are kind of nice, if they were there mine would be this (like it is in many other places:    

Signature images are ok to me, but that's your decision.  If there were, then I could have another profession enabled though (making little sig images, :P).

Having the [code] tags available in signatures would be good though.  ASCII art!
(Note: it only takes like 15 minutes to make simple sig images, Skeeblix.)

</STRONG>

sup apache

I OFTEN BURN WHITE HOT AND DRIFT LAZILY ACROSS THE STRATOSPHERE EMITTING PIERCING SCREAMS JUST LIKE THE REAL SUN

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ShunterAlhena:
<STRONG>Wonderful, I didn't expect reforms to take place this swiftly! There is something positive in an autocracy. </STRONG>

Hush! China might be listening.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ShunterAlhena:
<STRONG>Wonderful, I didn't expect reforms to take place this swiftly! There is something positive in an autocracy. The community debate on "Should we have a new forum" wouldn't have concluded for years.</STRONG>

No, no, we shouldn't use democracy or autocracy.  We should resolve disputes in the civilized, long-established Dwarf Fortress fashion that has served us so well in the past...

Aquillion has gone berserk!

Aquillion throws a !!post!! at ShunterAlhena!  The !!post!! hits ShunterAlhena in the right lung.  ShunterAlhena's right lung explodes!  Aquillion has knocked over a -thread-!

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2008, 01:09:00 am »

Great, now when the new Fortress arrives with its moderatordwarf, Toady's going to order him to have us all Banhammered.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by kuribo:
<STRONG>sup apache</STRONG>

...the post you quoted is exactly why I need avatars.  I never originally saw the connection to the user who wanted that avatar and the avatar until you named him.  Then it was obvious.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

How exactly would this forum move change the forums?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »

I can't believe the conversion process is four forums long. The sheer technical ridiculousness of it is very fitting for Bay 12, though.

As for signature images, I made my case for them here (that is, allow them but remove them if they're annoying/offensive/stupid), but I'll be fine without them. I've never had sig images anway.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7