Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: biggest moments of "oh s**t" that you had in MWDF  (Read 8611 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: biggest moments of "oh s**t" that you had in MWDF
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 08:10:53 am »

1) Flying FUN! came down the main staircase when a hatch cover was blocked open by a bolt, went down 5z levels straight to the metalworks and took out my legendary weaponsmith and lvl 9 armorer, then flew away.

2) Discovering that surface fires WILL destroy stone bridgegates and disassemble mechanisms when peat is the subsoil.

3) Before Meph nerfed the Forest Spiders, learning that a half-dozen or so invading at once were well-nigh invincible. 

4) The many face-palm moments from finding out the hard way that unnoticed path to the Caverns. 

5) Discovering that “wall” cornerstone built to enclose the magma was actually a pillar …
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: biggest moments of "oh s**t" that you had in MWDF
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 02:00:26 am »

I think I have a four-way tie for my biggest moment.

The first would be the first time I found a Red Marker for obvious reasons. I didn't even know that was in the game at the time. Those things essentially besieged my fort from the outside. It kind of turned into a survival horror game for a bit as room after room is broken in by those things, picking off dwarf after dwarf. It didn't end well for that fort. Even after I made the proper building for destroying the marker, the ritual killed my dwarf and didn't destroy the things it made.

The second would be the first time trying to harvest souls caused dead monsters to revive and then proceed to attack and kill at least one of my dwarfs. For some reason, the shrine of armok causes corpses to be fully resurrected instead of harvesting souls sometimes. The first few times that happened to me the rezzed corpses weren't hostile for whatever reason. Then when one of the rezzed monsters attacked and killed a nearby dwarf I was really surprised.

The third moment would be when I noticed my map suddenly being engulfed by fire, a map without any barriers to stop the fire from engulfing my main workshop hub. I am fairly certain that the cause was probably the flame ammo an archaeologist dug up and a hunter equipped. I've been instantly forbidding those things every time they get dug up now. So yes, I now religiously inspect any discoveries my archaeologists make the moment I get the message it happened.

The fourth moment would be the first time I encountered a seige with spell casters. When I enabled the jotun, I didn't expect them to have fire ball casting mages that would set my map and dwarves on fire.
Pages: 1 2 [3]