Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Story Of Id Matulcog (Updated 11/24/17)  (Read 6854 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
The Story Of Id Matulcog (Updated 11/24/17)
« on: May 07, 2015, 08:07:56 am »

To New Thread Readers (added 11/24/17): Welcome to Id Matulcog's story. Originally started as a sidestory to the legendary Deathgate fortress, I've been working to try and make this a standalone entry, with no knowledge of the source material required. Entry #9 mostly sets the setting and history up, and I'll try to explain anything relevant from Deathgate as it comes up.

When Deathgate's "Operation Helldawn" was convinced, one dwarf was spared the madness that swept through those cursed halls, and instead chose to leave before the end. Armed with what she could rummage out of the armory, a crossbow, and a spear, she set out to slay the llama demon that enslaved the humans, and try to encourage them to flee before it was too late. This is her story ...

Original post in the Deathgate thread three years ago

Ladies and gentleman, three years ago when I was an active player in Deathgate, I decided I was going to try and slay that llama demon. Real life got in the way, but I never forgot about Id Matulcog, and her desire to subvert Operation Helldawn. I've recently been inspired to give it a second try, and using the Deathgate 781 save, and Runesmith, I managed to raid the armory, and recreate my dwarf skill and attribute wise. The Violent Continents' story did not start with Deathgate; it had 750 years of woe, despair, combined with bits of dwarvish badassery, that on three separate occasions caused the age of the world to change.

We're going to explore that story, find sites of ancient battle (recreated as fortresses for Id to explore), and build up to a final, and invetiably bloody battle with that llama demon. With each update, I will post a list of choices that Id will consider, and whatever one wins is what she'll do (she may do multiples as well, depending on my mood). For sites she explores, I'll create a fortress, cave, or dark pit, with each marking a place from legends, an event from lore, or similar.

I've already confirmed that llama demon is present in the world and reachable with a separate adventurer, so, hypothetically, this is an achievable goal. But just slaying the demon would *not* be suitably badass. There is an entire world out there, and its about to come to life.

Canonically, this is a sidestory, taking place well before Murdermachines and Slaughterhelm.

The Journal of Id Matulcog - Entry #1

Ever wonder how you have an adventure? It takes two parts, you see. First, you need a stupid idea. Of course, if stupid ideas were enough, everyone and their grandmother would have epic adventures coming out of their beard. You actually need to follow through with them ...

As I stand here on the Doombridge, I can't help but think of one thing as I prepare to go through on this likely suicidal plan ...

That future archaeologists will find a perfectly preserved dwarf frozen in ice. Complete with a set of adamantine gear that shows how primitive dwarves were able to harness the king of metals, and fail to insulate it properly. $#!@# it's cold. Adamantine might be light, it might be strong, it might be basically unbreakable, hell, it comes out clean and shiny from a magma bath, but there's one thing it don't do.

KEEP YOU THE #!@# WARM!

*the next several pages are filled about the cold, and are colored with colorful metafors*

Ah, to hell with it. I ain't no quitter.

While going through the mounds of useless crap we have, I managed to liberate some coins that our once glorious civilization used. Doubt they're worth anything as money anymore but eh, you never know. Failing that, some chucks of adamantine should go well for buying actual money.

Also managed to find a nice set of armor, plenty of bolts, and an artifact shield that was crammed at the bottom of the bin.

Also grabbed a spear, even if I have fuck idea how to use it. I remember listening to tails of the great dwarves through history back in Fistmachines, of Nish Clapbronze slaying the great hydra Om Pantedspurt, or Muthkat Boatsreigns slayed the marsh titan. Dunno if those folks used a spear or not, but figure, big long stick is good at killing big things. Right? Can't be too complicated, pointy end goes in the thing you want dead, this isn't siege engineering, ya know?

Well, might as well get this show on the road. Hrm, what's that? I think its one of old swordmasters, what wa-

AIEEE, ANGRY GHOST, MUST NOT GET BATTERED!

*insert missing screenshot of Id running out of Deathgate chased by ghost*

MUST -gasp- KEEP -gasp- RUNNING -gasp- MUST -gasp KEEP -gasp ALL -gasp- LIMBS -gasp- ATTACHED -gasp- MUST -gasp- NOT -gasp- BE -gasp- SUBJECT -gasp- TO -gasp- THE -gasp- MAD -gasp FOOL!

Entry #2

I'm still bloody gasping for breath. $#!@, undead chased me straight out of Deathgate, until I got to "here". Whatever here is. Sign said Steedframes. Guessed that is a human town. I'm still feeling wheezy from running a bloody marathon, and sick from being under the sun, maybe this guy can help, he's looks like a blacksmith ...

Bogeymen? ... Why do I feel like this blacksmith is a few corkscrews short of a pumpstack ...

Screw it, I need a place to stay, I'm in no shape after that *exciting* chase across the Wordy Forest.

Well, at least they're hospitable. No one (to my knowledge) has left Deathgate in years. I couldn't even find a map, and my memories of the trip from Fistmachines is fuzzy. Maybe he can point the right way ...

Apparently a yak dying of old age, and troll spotting is a big thing around here.

Perhaps he knows where I can find a yonder demon (and I swear if he points me back to Deathgate, I'm going to see how well my pointy stick works on making a human kebab)

Well, there goes that thought that maybe someone else took over. Right, my entire half-baked plan to try and save these people from themselves is to become to be biggest badass thing around and prove to them that if they don't listen to me, they're all going to die horribly from demons shooting out of a volcano. Maybe with luck I can do some feat of awesomeness that will spread my name through the land so when the demon finds out I'm on the way, it can shake in its boots ...

I made sure that he actually meant wolf. Not wolf demon, or wolfman, or giant wolf. Just a bogstandard wolf ... why do I feel my ancestors are laughing at me?

---

What did Id do next?
 - Investigate his nemesis, one llama demon law-giver
 - Think about dwarvish badasses
 - Make wolf kebab over a warm fire
 - Do something else (post below)

Right, so there's our start. Now you, my faithful reader, you get to choose what we do next. I'll look at this thread on Friday evening, and go with the most popular choice, if necessary, creating a site for Id to explore, and try and post an update over the weekend.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:35:04 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Return to Deathgate - The Story Of Id Matulcog
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:01:06 pm »

PTW

Good luck

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 04:48:32 pm »

Entry 3

OOC: The Report thing is about a dwarf in Deathgate. The way I generated the adventurer save left Deathgate an active fortress with residents. Obviously something killed Kosoth, who was an enemy of the humans. Its not something Id did. In this version of DF, you could get fame for reporting things that happened in the world, and not due to actions you took ...

With dawn, and a set of directions to the wolves layer, I made my way southeast. Got to say, the longer I'm outside, the easier it is to be here. Of course, shit ain't as simple as just going to find this wolf leader; obviously his buddies heard me coming and decided to launch a preemptive strike.

I resisted the urge to grab my crossbow, and forced myself to use the spear; I'm going to have to learn how sooner or later ...

After killing a few of their buddies ...

The remaining wolves turn tail and ran.

Hehe, turned tail. I'm a fucking riot

Unfortunately, the battle ate into my travel time, and with the sun setting, the deranged blacksmith's warning about boogeymen rang in my ears, finding refuge seemed like a good idea. In the distance, I could see what looked like a castle.

OOC: I didn't many take screenshots exploring this castle, so this is mostly text, and legends mode

I hoped whoever owned the joint who let me stay the night. However, as I approached, it seemed the wildlife had different ideas.

Wish all problems were this easy to solve. Still, I am definitely starting to get the hang of this melee crud.

As I pushed open the door, I could make out faded writing announcing this place to be Singedcontest. Man, humans got weird names for shit.

As the sun began to set, I called out to see who was here. No one answered, so I started walking around the towers, looking for signs of life. Nada. Frustated, I barged into what appeared to be a central office, just to find nothing but dust and cobwebs.

"Da heck?"

Obviously the place had been abandoned, and the sheer amount of grime suggested it had been years. I reupped my grip on the spear, and kept walking. If this place had been taken over, the new management might not be friendly. Despite circling the area for several times, it appeared nothing but badgers lived here anymore. Feeling exhausted, and feeling like it was too risky to travel, I cleaned as much muck as I could from a corner, leaning against the wall, and slept.

Entry #?

"DAMNATION! IT'S THROUGH THE OUTER DOORS! QUICKLY, BARRIAGE THE INNER ONES!"

The flagstones of the fortress rattled as the tolls pounded on the improvised barricades. I shouted to Shebi to back away; the idiot is going to get himself killed standing there. Before he could move though, the inner doors went flying across the courtyard, and the fell beast, at least 50 feet tall charged Shebi. Unbelievably, Shebi managed to dodge out of the way.

I went running towards him, but a beast let out another roar, causing me to stumble.

"ID, GET OUT OF HERE!"

"NO!, I'M NOT-"

Before I could finish the sentence, another troll through one might punch, and Shebi was no more.

I thought for a moment I was about to get an express ticket to the halls of the stonemaker, for the beast would come for me next. However, the troll grabbed Shebi's lifeless corpse, and took a massive bite out of it ...

I'm not proud of it, but I ran for the gates, and into the snow hills beyond ...

---

I awoke screaming ...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:42:59 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 07:03:23 pm »

Continue on to find the wolf.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 03:41:10 am »

Entry #4

I'm still shaky. I dunno what the fuck that dream, or vision, or whatever-the-fuck-it-was, but I swear, it felt real. That troll, standing in this place. Fucking freaky as hell. I remember Shebi, gods below, feels like I knew him just like my friends or ... well, dead friends of Deathgate. Maybe this place is cursed, but as soon as I stop shaking, I'm getting this show on the road.

---

Another freaking wolf pack. Obviously this Sapi Clapowl alerted all the wolves in the world that one Id Matulocog is on her way to wreck his shit.

Wolf Pack: 0, Candy Spear of Death: 1

As I got closer though, feelings of dread started to overcome me ...

I crouched into hiding, and after waiting a good hour, nothing came along, so I packed it in, right before I ran into this.

The giant wood ape charged out of hiding, and despite my equipment, connected a solid blow twisting my wrist. However, before the beast could do me in, I managed to run my spear through its heart.

Night began to fall as I got close.

After quite a bit of searching, I found the beasts cave, and carefully moved in for the kill just to find ...

... that the stupid creature was already dead. Oh well, I can just say I did it, and no one will be the wiser.

With night upon me, and given everything else I've heard and experienced., I'm definitely not going to try travelling in case those bogeyman turn out to be real.

---

Wander, find food, follow pack.

Kill for food, raise young, fight for dominance.

Spot large creature. Shoots things that hurt. Packmates die, run away. Alone now. Bleeding.

Darkness ... alone ... cold ...

---

GAH!, WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THESE FREAKY WHATEVER THEY ARE?!

Ugh. Killing a wolf is one thing, being one was an experience I could completely have gone with out. I did gleam one useful bit of information. Not far from here is another cave to the northwest, and if I had a guess, another problem for me to solve. With dawn upon me, I set out again.

And found the cave I saw in the dream

I crept in and found the cave, and looked around the corner to find ...

Armok damn it ...

OOC: Yes, that's a goddamn clown in a cave which at some point visited Deathgate, slew a dwarf, and ... ended up in the wilderness?! Seriously, I might have shat a brick when this happened ...

EDIT: Well, I found the dwarf: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84451.msg2300285 - seriously though. WTF?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:53:42 am by NCommander »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 04:46:54 am »

PTW

And ... good luck.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 08:40:06 pm »

Entry #5

As Armok as my witness, I *did* not scream. I might have become stiff in places I didn't know I had, and my armor might need a good washing once I get a chance, but I did not scream. The brute, which was covered in blood didn't notice me enter, so I slowly, and *carefully* backed out of its cave, snuck away as best I could, and then went into a full blow run. Once I was sure I wasn't being followed, I set off towards the nearest hamlet I knew about, praying I'd get there before dark.

I wasn't that lucky ...

The Brute must have caught wind of my scent and came running, with a troll lacky with him.

I dodged behind a tree and started sneaking, and carefully peered through the foliage. Knowing this wasn't a melee I could win, I dropped my spear, grabbed my crossbow, and fired

The brute screamed, but stayed rooted in spot; perhaps trying to find me through the leaves. I offloaded a few more rounds.

I saw one of them connect, and the beast swerved to try and avoid the other ones. I lost sight of the brute, and a tense standoff occurred. I don't know how long I waited, but I eventually got the courage to stand up, and find the thing. However, it seemed to have retreated. Feeling fortunate to survive the encounter, I took off towards that hamlet.

As the sun began to dip in the western sky, I arrived, and introduced myself to the townsfolk

I figured this close to the cave, these folks must have had to deal with that wolf before. As expected, they were overjoyed to know the problem was solved. I asked them if they had more work for me, figuring one wolf would not be enough to boost my badass creed

Crud. Guess that one wolf was all the problems these humans were having. Time to get creative. I wanted to know what was nearby; I was starting to get an idea of the land, but the finer points still alluded me.

I bit my lip when the human talked about the goblins. Besides the demons, the blasted goblins had been responsible for the death of most of my friends at Deathgate. Just hearing the name Massivedemons filled me with rage which I just barely kept under control. I need to do something about them; but I had more pressing matters. Like crippling exhaustion. I asked permission to stay the night, settled in the corner. I had hoped that maybe those blasted dreams wouldn't come.

---

Entry #6

Well ... I'm not sure if I can call this an improvement ...

I know I fell asleep in the house. I knew I wanted to be woken up at dawn. I didn't have any of those ghastly dreams that have plagued me. Instead, my subconscious mind thought it would a lovely time to just get up and go for a walk ...

I must have the opposite of a horseshoe stuck up my ass.

Maybe I have a deathwish, but that opposum brute was weighing on my mind. When I was in Deathgate, we slew plenty of them from the Hellbunker. They're strong, but not invincible, and furthermore they're slow. I may be a siege operator by trade, but I'm great with a bow, and I'm fast. If I can just get its attention, and stay in front it, I could take it down.

Call it a dress rehearsal for that llama demon. An so, guided by what almost certainty a bad idea, I set off again to the brute's cave.

I snuck into the cave, and looked about ...

No one home ... I can't decide if this is a good thing, or a bad thing. Figuring it was something I could deal with later, and with the sun beginning to set already, I started heading back to Blazestaut. Before I made it though, the true nightmare began.

Gods below, that human wasn't kidding. I could barely see them, but at least a dozen shadows ran towards me. I fired off some shots from my crossbow, but quickly realized that this wasn't a battle I could win like that; too many targets, not enough bolts.

I grabbed my spear, braced myself, and lunged into combat.

One of the bogeymen spread its wings and took to the skies above, I ran backwards, making sure only one or two of them could reach me at a time

They clawed and bit at me, but the armor forged by the legendary armorers of Deathgate held. Without it, I would certainty be dead. I got into a pattern of running backwards, and attacking any one that was near me, causing it to recall from my strikes. They were too fast for me to hit with the spear (damn my inexperience), but it bought me breathing room!

Suddenly one of the beasts, obviously frustrated with their prey still standing charged. Panicked, I twisted around, striking the blade of the spear into his hand. Without sufficient force behind it, the spear became lodged in the wound. Knowing the spear was the one thing that could keep me alive, I fought with the beast for control!

The shadow made a hissing cry, and suddenly vanished.

I suddenly realized the sky was getting lighter, and the cackling began to subside.

Exhausted, I could only be thankful I was alive, and that the night long siege had taught me how to use my spear and shield before I could succumb.

---

What Did Id Do Next?
 - Fight The Night (fight bogeymen to level up)
 - Get Revenge (visit a goblin site)
 - Explore Sites of Dwarvish Badassness
 - Visit Your Ancestral Home (explore Fistmachines)
 - Do Something Else (post below)

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 12:57:35 am »

> Fight the night / Level up somehow

There's plenty of time for revenge, but if our body and skill isn't up to it, we're not gonna make it very far, are we?
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 05:49:12 am »

OOC: I can't sleep, and inspiration is not forthcoming on creating either Fistmachines, or either of the goblin sites. So, here's more Id ripping stuff apart

Entry #6

I survived the night, and became stronger for it. Although its risky, I've decided that these bogeyman are my best bet at learning to fight, since if I can't fight what goes bump in the night, what chance do I have against a llama demon with nearly 700 years of murder and death behind it?

So, I stood my ground, and waited.

I didn't have to wait long

As the bogeymen surrounded me, *everything* slowed down. I could see the crickets on a nearby leaf chirp. Each star above twinkle one after another. There was *clarity* of a type I never experienced before ...

I could see my enemy, and in that moment, my enemy knew fear.

Just it came, that single moment of clarity left me, but I felt renewed, alive even, in a way I never experienced in Deathgate.

The bogeymen could feel it. One of them tried to blind me, but failed

With a single swing, I ended the last one, and the bogeymen were no more.

---

Even hours afterward, that feeling of  clarity from the martial trance has not completely subsided. It's like for a moment, I could see every possibility, every possible twist that fate could bring. I can't help but think back to my time in Deathgate. I was one of the lucky ones, I lived over 20 years, and was one of the few dwarfs that could remember a time before we breached hell.

When I oversaw Deathgate, I read the "journals" of those who had held the position before me. At best they could be described as the rambling of madmen and I wrote it off as just the words of dwarfs driven mad by the death of our civilization. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now?

Now I think something far more sinister is at play ...

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 05:24:19 pm »

OOC: As a note, Id has yet to get thirsty or hungry once in her adventure. I feel like this is the work of Terry ...

Entry #7

I've settled into a new routine of sleeping during the day and fighting the monsters at night. I felt a restlessness that has caused me travelling from place to place. I've found that in my downtime, I keep thinking of Terry and the madness of Deathgate. In those brief moments of clarity I find in combat I feel like I can understand, but when the moment passes, everything becomes hazy. For the moment, I've decided to focus on tasks I *can* accomplish.

Out of curiosity, I asked if there was anything I could do to help

To my surprise, the local humans pointed me towards an outlaw that had been bothering them for some time. In furhter discussions, I've found my battles with the bogeymen have not gone unheaded.

One of the humans though brought up my former home ...

I can't help but wonder if Anima's plans have started, and even if they have, I have a sense of dread whenever I think of Deathgate. I have been fortunate to avoid the madness, but if I were to return, I do not think I would be as lucky.

Pushing Deathgate out of my mind, I set out for the camp, I didn't make it before dark however, and once again ...

Once again, a fleeting glimpse of that clarity, followed by many dismembered bogeymen. One of the beasts though was exceptionally tendentious, and I felt exhausted. I decided to rest for an hour under the stars before making the final push for the camp. I nearly paid for that mistake with my life.

By sheer dumb luck, a group of buzzards had been nearby (possibly attracted to the deceased bogeymen), and ambushed the ringleader before he could behead me.

No one, and I mean, no one, messes with Id Matuacog. I was going to teach these humans that.

After dealing with the initial ambush, I set off for their camp.

I left no survivors.

I do not feel any remorse or guilt at riding the world of these bastards. I will do to the same to any who harm me or those who I care about. I may have a date with the llama demon, but I still have to pay past dues to the goblins.

They will pay ...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:39:46 pm by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 03:05:30 am »

So, OOC moment. I'm *trying* and failing to generate a decent goblin site. The amount of modding I can do is very limited, and the lack of utilties for DF 31.25 is frustrating; dfusion is broken in five different ways. Furthermore, creativity is lacking; I just can not envision what a decent goblin mount must look like.

In canon (and legends), there are two dark fortresses, Massivedemons, and Reignfiend, and one dwarvish mountainhome in the form of Fistmachines. None of these actually exist in game, they have to be created.

The raws for goblins are broken for playing as a civilization. The biggest problem are a lack of nobles which prevent forming a military of any type, furhtermore, the lack of noble positions means wealth can not be reported which (in turn) prevents goblins migrant waves beyond the first two. In addition, they lack PACK_ANIMAL or WAGON_PULLER animals, and trying to retroactively add these to the trolls don't appear to fix them. Its possible looking at the fixwagons code for DFHack that might fix trade for the goblin civilization as an unintended side effect but I'm unsure. I might be able to use worldtinker to fix it though ... maybe ...

Dwarves work fine, and appear to get normal immigration despite Deathgate itself no longer receiving migrants. I could build a goblin site with "dwarves", but I can't easily turn them into goblins with the hacking utilties available at my disposal; I might be able to cook a DFHack plugin that could mass convert everyone into goblins but that may screw up historical figures and break things in curious ways. I could just *pretend* the dwarves are goblins when I do a live-retire, though this would have the unfortunate side effect of making Id an enemy of the Basement of Murder. Maybe retire the save when a siege is active and have the "dwarfs" be goblins that were babysnatched; given the history of the world, it would be IMHO fitting.

I'm somewhat open to ideas here, and if anyone wants to volunteer to build a site for Id to explore, I'd be appreciative; I can upload the save with Id retired in a human hamlet (I've already confirmed retiring and unretiring for her works as expected, she even keeps her kill list). Alternatively, Id could choose to abandon her revenge, kill the llama demon and end the story, though IMHO, I think that may be unsatisifying ...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:13:20 am by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 09:39:12 pm »

NCommander points at the thread!
The thread begins to move!

So ... I didn't mean to let this sit for two years without an update. Between life, and other things, this just fell to the wayside, but I never forgot it. I recently used Id in the lore of Archcrystal when I modified the save, and it made me think about this thread. When looking through a bunch of old files, I actually found the save file for this, and decided to finish Id's story. I've already played through to a conclusion so what just remains is a write-up.

So without further ado, let the story be told. I'll likely update this daily, and then possibly start a new adventure. Please leave a post below if you've enjoyed these posts, it's motivation to continue on.

Entry #8
===

Despite my earlier statement, I've decided to head west for a time. The further away I'm from settlements, the less frequent the dreams have become. Something inside me keeps pulling me out that way, and I feel like there's something I needed to see. That's not to say my travels have been uneventful. Far from it. As I'm writing this, I'm passing through a region of the world known as Omreapap.

Only two days out from Blazesaut, a pack of goblins and a troll from the Rhyming Nightmare decided that any dwarf in the wild is fair-game.

I'd say it was an exciting and close battle, but honestly, I've faced demons, I've seen hell, I survived the Mad Fool. Swish, swish, stab, dead. None of these chumps had anything on me. Especially given I'm training to fight demons and night creatures. I've decided to travel for only half days, using the mornings to rest and recover. The reason?

I'm teaching the night to fear ME instead. Though boogeymen have not been my only advisories thus far.

I've heard of cursed lands where the dead walk freely, and other such abominations exist. Places where no dwarf should ever tread for long. I always thought them to be legends to scare younglings.

The simple fact is the world is a scarier place than most realize. As you might have guessed, I won my battles, but I was frequently beset by these monsters as I went. I can't help but wonder if perhaps Deathgate itself was simply a symptom of a larger problem. For as long as anyone has been alive, Windy Plane has had demons walk the land, and death and despair all around, but this wasn't always the case.

The earliest records of our world speak of the two great powers ruled the land, and eventually how the Basement of Murder eventually earned it's name, and what eventually lead to the decline and ruin of the world. These beasts rampaged across the world, killing any who crossed their paths until a champion came forward and single handily changed the course of history. Dwarven kind became renounced because of two dwarfs in particular. Nish Clapbronze, and Muthkat Boatsreigns.

Nish became a legend because he refused to roll over and die and proved that mere mortals could take on nightmares and win.

As dwarfs fought legends across the land, for a time no one believed that

For his deeds, he was named general, and continued questing across the world, with a desire to rid the world of these terrors.

Eventually, he engaged in a dual with the hydra which at the time was considered one of the strongest powers in the world, and won.

There were no witnesses to the battle, but a few say that the swamp in which they fought had become stained with blood. It eventually became known as the Swamp of Healing, as a sign that the world was starting to  And with that, our world passed into the Age of the Marsh Titan, and Nish became a true legend, even after his death at the hands of the cyclops Abo Copperglitter.

In this period, the Confederation of Exalting eventually drove the elves to extinction, and the goblin nations began to grow without restraint. With our mountainhomes buried deep, we were essentially untouchable, and during the intervening period an unease peace fell upon the three groups. Nearly two centuries later, the story picks up with Muthkat Boatsreigns.

A simple farmer by trade, what I can recall, she was attacked by a troll as an infant, and long desired to make her mark on the world just as Nish had done generations before.

She decided to do this by hunting down Cethire Dentree, and making her legend by winning.

Thus forever ending the nightmares on the surface. The thing is, the world should have entered a golden age, where people flourished, and legends were no longer needed. It might have happened in another place, or in another land, but here? Here, the years of rampages and attacks had left everyone weak, and from our lofty highs, the world entered a time that our best scholars began to call "The Twilight Age".

Dwarvenkind was permanently weakened by fighting from the Rhyming Dances, and from the rampages of both titans. I think something in our psyche must have broken. Our population fell to just a few thousand by time Deathgate was founded. I think, had we been stronger, or more numerous, maybe we would have seen that golden age. Or maybe I'm just rambling.

I feel like I'm seeing small pieces of a larger puzzle, but for the life of me, I can't put them together. I don't claim to be some sort of genius or scholar. Hell, I only remember these stories because I've heard them since the day I was born, but I can't help but feel this is all connected.

---

Last night, I had an urge to head northeast. I don't know why, but I feel like I might find what I'm looking for ...

Maybe the pieces of this puzzle will begin to take form.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:22:32 pm by NCommander »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 10:02:28 pm »

You should definitely post the Archcrystal sections here too - those were great snippets.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 10:45:12 am »

Entry #9
===

The dreams have started again. Not much I can really say, what little I can remember is fleeting and vague, just brief images of light, trees, battles and tall humanoid with pointy ears. Elfs, I think.

Elves have been extinct in the world for almost five centuries; the humans exterminated them to the last. From what I seen, the humans declared the war on the basis of morality; an ironic statement to make given the Confederation’s leader.

I know what I'm looking for now. Maybe I’ll find answers there.

---

I've arrived. Actually, I’ve been here for the past two nights. The former capital of the elven civilization, the Forest Retreat Rakedroot.

To be honest, I was expecting something … more, but all I’ve seen thus far are a few trees, and tored up grass.

It’s a little hard to believe that this was the site of some of the more fierce fighting in the Windy Plane. Back in Fistmachines, elves were always discounted as a bunch of nature-loving fools, whose refusal to accept industry lead to their own annihilation. Having seen their battles first hand, despite everything else, I can at least say that despite their nature, they fought as well as any dwarf would under the circumstances.

I saw it myself. 26 elves vs an army of 446.

In my dreams, I stood as one of the 26, brothers in arms under the banner Cequova Embracerack. We knew that the odds were very much against us, but we refused to go quietly into the night.

Course, given what they faced, there was only one possible outcome.

We (or perhaps they), had huddled around their home tree at the center of the encampment. Cequova had rallied us up around one single chokepoint. With their magic, they could create arrows faster than the enemy could deplete them, and all of them were accomplished bowmen. One hit, one kill.

Simple as that.

On the third night of the siege though …

I’ll recount what I saw below.

---

“They’re pulling back!”

Eriya was beside me, and excited pointed out as the humans began to retreat to the wastelands beyond. I had taken third watch as Cequova and the others slept. Two druids behind us worked the lands, shaping arrows for our quivers, and enchanting our armor. The fields between us and the Confederation were covered in fallen dead.

“Why would they pull back? They’ve got us outnumbered ten to one …”

The ground rumbled as those a single force had hammered the weight of a mountain upon it. A single imposing figure stepped into the clearing. Without delay, I took my bow, and fired at it, but the figure paid no mind.

You truly think you can win? That Gaia will protect you? I give you one chance. Surrender, swear allegiance, and serve as members of the Confederation.

For a moment, the moon broke through the clouds, and I saw what was speaking. A massive demon that towered over any other being I’ve ever seen before, twisted in the shape of a llama. I felt it in my bones, it was nothing short of an abomination of life with a terrifying power.

I turned to Eriya, “Wake Cequova, now! While we have time.”

The young acolyte raced behind me, and moments later, Cequova, already in full battle dress stood along aside. “By Gaia …”

”My patience wears thin, treefolk … perhaps a demonstration is in order.”

A deep sucking sound whistled through as the demon inhaled, and blew out a mist. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end. Cequova shouted, “No one approach it!” The mist blew around us. Bethen it, grass and trees began to wilt and die as though their life was simply snuffed out. As though it were alive, the mist blew upwards, and began to surround the home tree.

The leaves died, the bark decayed, and the wood splintered. All of us could feel it. In a single breath, it had destroyed our home. Rakedroot was no more. No one spoke, all of us were afraid. There was no way we could face-

In a quiet whisper, Cequova spoke to me, "Id, get the others. I'll buy you time. Get out of here, try to regroup at Swampspattered."

He stood up taller than I've ever seen, as though possessed. Or maybe he had nothing left to fear. I couldn't disobey him, I could merely watch.

"Law-giver, may I speak to you under parley to discuss terms of surrender?"

The demon laughed, "Very well. I shall allow this."

Cequova gripped his sword, and stepped out to face his destiny. As though I was under a spell, I had the others group around me, waiting for the critical moment. Moments ticked by in silence, and then Cequova shouted "FOR RAKEDROOT!"

In the confusion, I got the others, and charged in the opposite direction towards the weakest parts of the human lines. I was not going to let Cequova's sacrifice end in vain.

I heard the devil scream behind me, Impotent elf. I am Weirma Dreamroar. I shall make you suffer for this!”

We ran into the night, fight off what we could. I never saw Cequova again …

---

When I woke from the dream, I couldn’t speak, think, or even scream. I saw the devil that I’ve dedicated myself to kill, and I saw what it could do. I curled up under my blankets, and tried not to cry.

I couldn’t help but think I set myself upon an impossible task. That devil would end me, and that would be that. As I stood there shivering, I wondered if maybe I should just go home when I heard it

You are stronger than you know …

The voice came from all directions. I couldn’t tell you if it was male, female, or even what species. It was beyond description.

Startled, I grabbed my spear, and looked around, “Who’se there?”

I jumped around searching between the trees. I couldn’t find anything.

As long as believe …

“Show yourself!”

I only heard silence. Scared by an advisory I couldn’t see, I grabbed my gear and ran into the night, leaving Rakedwood behind …

End of Entry #9
---

*phew* another one. Please post if you've enjoyed this. Next time, Id travels north, and begins to comes to terms with the path she's chosen. I'm a little sad we lost the interactive elements of this story, but the fact of the matter is the actual Windy Planes world is a pocket world, and there's not much in it. If I actually do a full blown adventure run in a new world with Id, that element will return.

EDIT: For reference, here's the Arcycrystal section Bearskie referenced: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156319.msg7619646#msg7619646. That takes place long after this story.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:32:10 pm by NCommander »
Pages: [1] 2