Poll

Placeholder

k
- 0 (0%)
no
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OwnedWind - "Now a succession fort" edition!  (Read 2608 times)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OwnedWind - "Now a succession fort" edition!
« on: May 07, 2015, 08:19:24 am »

Previous thread - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150099.0
(You can catch up with all the progress of OwnedWind there.)

Hello, all. I've been slightly inactive due to life, so I thought by popular demand I'd just throw this up as it is!

If you don't want to read the thread, here's a tl;dr
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The current year should be either 554 or 553, I haven't actually played in awhile. I left the fortress in pretty good condition, but I have no doubt the community will have things to criticize (Which is appreciated, and wanted)

[Some things]

Branches: I expect not everyone will agree with playstyle, so I've come up with the idea of branches. I'll manage branches, and you can PM me if you want a new branch established. A branch is the same as any succession fort, but if a player doesn't agree with the main branch's fort, they can ask for a new branch to be started.

Priority: You're allowed to enter the line-up if you've already gone, but you're given less priority than those who haven't gone yet, so anyone who has already gone is basically shoved below those who haven't gone yet. However this isn't constant, once you enter the line and are put in your proper spot, you won't be moved to the bottom if a new comer enters.

Color Codes: If you're new, your name is put green on the line-up. If you've gone already, you're blue. If you're banned from the line-up (Somehow) your name will be put in the ban list.

[Rules]
1: You can play for up to an in-game year, then you're to throw the file back up where you left it so the next person can play it. (tl;dr: Play for an in-game year, give it back.)
2: You're free to download the files as much as you want, but please don't post your save unless you PM me and get approved for a new branch of the fortress (tl;dr: You can download regardless of being in line, but don't post save unless approved)
3: Enjoy doing whatever you want, and try new things, but try not to deliberately (IE: Flooding the fort with magma just for fun, etc) destroy the main branches fortress.  :P However accidents are allowed to happen, obviously. (tl;dr: Let the fun happen, not the other way around)
4: "Journal entries," "Status updates," etc. are expected. We'd like to see the progress you make, instead of having to download it to find out. (tl;dr: Post updates)

[Line-up]
Demonic Spoon
95Noodles
jwoodward48df
Snail555
maxcat61

[Ban List]
I doubt I'll ever need this, but if you somehow manage to upset everyone on the thread and fail to obey the rules constantly, you'll be banned from the line-up forever.  :'(

[Branches]
Current Branches
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:17:48 am by Klitri »
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: OwnedWind - "Now a succession fort" edition!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:34:01 pm »

Gimme a turn, though I'm against the idea of branches. Half the fun of succession forts is having to deal with the screwups of your predecessors.

So a couple of questions and/or notes:
* I see the GCS died
* And we have a necromancer siege, hoping I'll manage to catch a few of them in cage traps. Always wanted a pet necromancer
* Did you ever manage to catch that werehorse or are the goblin prisoners from a siege?
* Your "water filtration" doesn't work from a quick inspection
* The "water filtration" pumps are dwarf-powered?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:16:17 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 03:26:11 pm »

Gimme a turn, though I'm against the idea of branches. Half the fun of succession forts is having to deal with the screwups of your predecessors.

So a couple of questions and/or notes:
* I see the GCS died
* And we have a necromancer siege, hoping I'll manage to catch a few of them in cage traps. Always wanted a pet necromancer
* Did you ever manage to catch that werehorse or are the goblin prisoners from a siege?
* Your "water filtration" doesn't work from a quick inspection
* The "water filtration" pumps are dwarf-powered?

Yeah, you're added. :)

* GCS indeed died at the last siege.
* Yep, I forgot about that  :P
* No, those are goblin prisoners, feel free to do what you will with them ! (Magma)
* The water filter does work? I'm not sure what you mean by it doesn't work  :P It doesn't work like I intended it to though.
* It's not actually automatic yet teehee
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

95noodles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 04:50:38 pm »

I too would enjoy a year of this fun! Also we shouldn't have branches, if we fail I say we say some dwarfs retreat and settle again. Same world. Can't wait :P

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 12:48:03 am »

* The water filter does work? I'm not sure what you mean by it doesn't work  :P It doesn't work like I intended it to though.
The tiles the wells are drawing from have dustings of mud. Wells need to draw from water tiles that are at least 2 z-levels deep to prevent them drawing muddy water.

EDIT: And finally almost done re-organizing the dwarves into hauler commoners and actual skilled craftsmen. >_< Thank Armok for Dwarf Therapist.

EDIT2: And the werehorse has been killed by skeletons, there goes my planned supersoldiers program.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:51:58 am by Demonic Spoon »

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 02:28:11 pm »

I figured I'd messed up. Oops  :P

Also yay, I've never been good at micromanagement so it's good that it's all organized, I was just assigning what was needed whenever.

Tragic! At least the beast is no longer a threat. :)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 06:40:15 am »

PTW.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 04:51:12 pm »

Ach, this looks like a good mountainhome.  Aye'll take a shot at overseeing it for a year, ye ken?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 01:04:31 pm »

Interesting sidenote, in a different (sadly lost due to computer crashing) continuity, the world descended into the Age of Goblins.

I'm hoping to complete a actual in character update sometime soonish, got somewhat bummed out due to losing a lot of progress (including another captured GCS) from the aforementioned computer crashing.  It seems to have been a one-time event that hopefully won't repeat itself, still not sure what caused it though.

In the meantime here are some highlights:

A cyclops appeared. The undead horde quickly killed it and it was raised as a zombie. The weird part is, I don't think the undead horde had any free necromancers left so it is definitely odd.
I managed to capture a necromancer, but have so far failed to get it to raise corpses when behind a window+fortification. Could someone share some secrets to getting necromancers to work? If not I'll just continue experimenting with different setups.
Discovered two more cavern layers (and the tippity top of a adamantine vein in the third layer), walled them off.
The undead horde was destroyed by a labyrinth of atom-smashers.
A goblin siege showed up, for some reason they don't like pathing through my labyrinth and get stuck in a big blob at the entrance which makes atomsmashing them harder.
Artifact Mechanism and Artifact Bone Table.
I made a apiary.
So many mussel shells. Like seriously.
I think we might have a vampire because people kept mysteriously dying in the lost continuity (I think his killcount was at least like 5). I've had no luck in finding it so far though. Thinking of making a witch test chamber (drowning chamber. send in dwarves, vampires can't drown so he'll survive). I think the main problem is I've been too lazy for look for discrepancies in dwarf ages and so on.
I accidentally flooded the fort a bit in the lost continuity, nothing major, in the end I managed to evaporate it all but I was panicking a bit when the dining hall was underwater. I haven't made that sort of elementary water pressure mistake for literal years.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:15:55 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 04:55:21 pm »

That's a lot of lost progress! It sucks to hear its all gone :(

Luckily your week isn't finished, so if you wanted to finish until then you still have a few days.

I believe monsters behind fortifications don't activate anymore, I'm pretty sure it's a new recent bug.

You have about 3 days left (?). :)

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 08:37:16 pm »

Sign me up please!
I do stuff, I guess

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 04:48:20 am »

You know, necromancers can stealth, that may be why you didn't see any necromancers who could have raised the cyclops.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 05:40:42 pm »

You know, necromancers can stealth, that may be why you didn't see any necromancers who could have raised the cyclops.
That might be it! I saw three necromancers in the beginning but two of them mysteriously disappeared partway through the siege, I though they'd just wandered off the edge of the map.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 06:13:35 pm »

Add me to the list please.
Also, why not keep to the standard 2-weeks, 1 year turn length?
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 07:39:39 pm »

Add me to the list please.
Also, why not keep to the standard 2-weeks, 1 year turn length?

It's currently a 1-week turn, no matter if a year has passed or not. I just want to make sure I'm allowing everyone a chance  :) If this is the standard, I might change it to this.
Pages: [1] 2