Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.169.33a Released  (Read 7062 times)

absolutego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.169.33a Released
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

Yeah, 90~100 fps anywhere instead of about 15. Great work.

Sludge Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

What kind of machines are you guys getting 90+ fps running? I only get around 50-60 at start on a default sized area with a 3GHz Pentium 4 and a gig of ram.

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »

I've got a Pentium D 805 which is essentially a pair of cores based on Pentium 4 technology. Even though DF isn't geared for multiple cores it does help quite a bit. For one thing DF doesn't have to share a core with Windows, antivirus software, etc.

Also clock rate doesn't mean a whole lot. My D 805 runs at 2.66GHz per core and yet a Pentium Dual-Core which runs at only 1.6GHz per core beats it. The main problem we both have is the architecture that the P4 uses - NetBurst - its not very efficient compared to the Core 2 architecture that is so popular now.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Frobozz ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »

Correct. netburst (P4) is the worst thing since Cyrix and the MIII.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 02:39:00 am »

Yay! I had been lurking and waiting for a new release to start playing again in the last months! This sounds extremely good, even if it's only an alpha...but still, having the Z-coordinate is a massive revolution in the way the game plays, I assume. I'm currently generating my first world, can't wait to try it...   :cool:

Cpt.Timely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://about:blank and www.google.ca
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

w00t! new vers  :D

on a side note, i made a very nice fortress in an extremely nice region, but the caravan spawn is the ENTIRE map away (i made it an XL region, too), 13 floors down and 4 cliffs in b/w. to make matters worse, my dwarves are all about to die because the water in my brook is moving so fast that whenever they try to drink, the water moves 1 space down and they cant reach it. Rofl, i could have a dwarf almost dead from thirst drown in a brook :C
i have an excess of pig tails/plump helmet, but apparently 20 fresh-made empty barrels are equal to none in my brewer's mind and he is unable to make any for alleged "lack of barrels".
WHY ARE DWARVES SOOOOO DAMN STUPID?! >.<
despite all this, this is an amazingly bug-free game for an alpha. and u better take that vacation, toady, we cant have u dying of exhaustion b4 u can finish the game for us. so take a break before i hire the mafia to take the break to your kneecaps  ;).
wow, long post. last thing, the opening statement about the donations in the november progress report was amazing. very very nice peice of work there. u should get it published ;D.

[ November 16, 2007: Message edited by: Cpt.Timely ]

ord: It''s unpleasantly like being drunk.
Arthur: What''s so unpleasant about being drunk?
Ford: Ask a cup of water.
When i look in a mirror the glass cracks. See, even glass isn''t stupid enough to get between Cpt.Timely and Cpt.Timely.
Pages: 1 [2]