Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Why did Bonnlean exile a group to the Caverns of Threig?

Religious reasons (e.g. heretics, heathens, nonbelievers, witches, &c.)
- 1 (25%)
Political reasons (e.g. an unpopular noble family, betrayal/treason by a faction, a faction was too strong, &c.)
- 0 (0%)
Economic/Guild reasons (e.g. a group in a guild was not conforming to the guild, a merchant family was outshining the rest, a merchant bought out the slums for a new warehouse(exiling the current residents), &c.)
- 1 (25%)
Racial reasons (e.g. ancient Bonnleans didn't believe in dwarf-human hybrids, or there were elves.)
- 0 (0%)
Rebellion reasons (e.g. the rebels lost and were exiled, or won and the rulers were exiled.)
- 2 (50%)
Other- Post more if you think of them, and I can add them to the list!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let's write a Story! (Setting and Characters)  (Read 9206 times)

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Let's write a Story! (Setting and Characters)
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:09:26 pm »

Hey guys! I've been wanting to do a big storytelling experience with you guys and your awesome creativity, so here's the first post! Everything from the setting to the characters will be determined by you, me, and the rest of the community who participates.

Technically this will function as a pseudo-RPG in the style of D&D or Pathfinder, but I'm making up a much simpler system (It is storytelling after all- this way there aren't any dice rolls that I'd want to fudge just to make the story turn out better/more interesting. It also makes it more difficult to just make someone who can just faceroll over any challenge they meet.)

ANY characters are currently being accepted, but don't get too attached. They aren't characters for individual people to play, they'll be characters that participate in the story. They also might not fit into the position of being a main character (In fact, I know a character that'll be participating due to him being a mainstay in any RPG I run, but I'm not yet sure whether he'll be significant or a comic relief or what). (NOTE: to those in After the Rifting, I fully intend on going forward with that, I just haven't figured out what to do with you guys. This'll probably jog my mind into that.)
Uniqueness is prized in the characters- whether they're a wereshark sahuagin or a half-fiend aasimar, anything goes. Run-of-the-mill people aren't unique enough to be represented heavily in a story, but anyone with a bunch of flair will most certainly be noticed.

You can also post tidbits or ideas about the setting, they're all being accepted as well! Like I said earlier, this is a collaborative story- the setting is determined by us together as much as anything else! Nothing about the world is set-in-stone yet, although I personally would like an at least quasi-traditional setting- there will be elves, dwarves, goblins, &c., but they might be on floating islands or inside a giant stalagmite, anything goes.

Information Starting Here:

Spoiler: System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Setting(IN PROGRESS!!) (click to show/hide)

Creatures
Spoiler: Creature-Stormwings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shield Bears (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shard Hounds (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stormlions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:33:27 pm by Delioth »
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Let's write a Story!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:09:43 pm »

Sentient Races

Spoiler: The Querach (click to show/hide)

Places

Spoiler: Daskios' Union (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jarnheim (click to show/hide)

Materials
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:25:31 pm by Delioth »
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:18:49 pm »

Cool. I'll make up a character when the sheet is put in. I'll make him a pseudo antagonist of sorts probably.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:24:43 pm by Peradon »
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 04:19:08 pm »

How's this?

A many-armed creature clothed shabbily, with an old coat and hat. It lives deep in the woods and spends its time replacing bits of random critters with clockwork.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 04:28:44 pm »

A Giant vein of sapient Crystal that only wishes to Open a bakery (Which sells pastries infused with random magical effects)
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Let's write a Story! (Setting and Characters)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 06:53:35 pm »

Just finished writing the system and an example character. Characters are fully open for suggestions, and so is the setting. Anyone can submit as many characters as they like. If you post a ton of characters, they might not all make it into the story as it's told, but we can try to fit everyone in for an appearance. Also remember that the characters aren't necessarily yours alone- they're all the characters in a story, and actions can be suggested by anyone for any character. If several suggestions are made for one character's action, the owner of that content will get slightly higher priority for that character's actions.

Of note; the final goal of this story is a piece of writing on-par with a book or some similar output. I'll be writing everything as though it were a book, and if this manages to come to a conclusion, it may be published somewhere as a collaborative piece. In this case, I'll ask for contact/credit information from anyone involved. If no credit information is given, I'll give you credit as a Bay12'er who contributed with your forum name as your identifier (You could opt for this as well, if it's all you want.) If it does get published in some miracle of our time, all proceeds will go directly to Bay12 games. I'll work it out with Toady if that happens.
Help us write a story!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 07:02:22 pm »

That's very noble of you. I am very excited to see this project through.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:23:22 pm »

Eh, I figured it wouldn't be cool to take other people's OC and make profit for myself off of it, and that even if I could manage to find payment info for every single person who contributes to this the payout would be tedious at best for everyone involved at that point. I also figured that Toady is a worthy cause for anyone who frequents these boards.
Help us write a story!

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:24:48 pm »

PTR
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:37:51 pm »

well.....I have some ideas that have been floating around my head for ages.

I could write a book or make a tv show for them....if I could come up with more than to chapters.

i could probly help if you guys can fill out any blanks i leave.
or ignore me, that's cool to, either way i would love to see how this turns out,

when bay12 is involved, it will be awesome.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 07:38:59 pm »

A man steps into existence. He bears a large burden. In fact, his backpack is larger than he is, but he bears it easily. He is Ragvous the Traveling Weapons Salesman, and he sells weapons of a wide variety. Especially frying pans, martial arts handbooks, and magic wands.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 07:41:51 pm »

it is here, our story begins, in the small village of ((idk, i am bad at naming))

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 07:47:42 pm »

Well then! I was expecting to set the setting, get some characters, and then start the action. Whatever works too, though. I'll be updating the OP until we really have a defined setting. Do as you wish, I'll keep track of any action that goes down.
Help us write a story!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 08:00:25 pm »

i think we are still kinda brain storming, idk, im just going with the flow.

our thoughts shall pool, our wills connect. as a whirlwind of ideas settle into a beautiful mixture.

but yha.... anyways....

im thinking this merchant guy is carrying an artifiact sword, and (for such and such reason) he gives it to a kid with hidden immense magical energy, because plot conviunce.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 08:25:01 pm »

Eh, might as well throw in a couple ideas.

Somewhere, a sheltered city run by the living and staffed by the dead celebrates a hero's passing. One warrior lost, one undying defender gained.

A champion leaves, gleaming armor inlayed with living bone. He turns one last time, nodding in respect to the dim shapes of his precursors dotting the walls.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4