Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Why did Bonnlean exile a group to the Caverns of Threig?

Religious reasons (e.g. heretics, heathens, nonbelievers, witches, &c.)
- 1 (25%)
Political reasons (e.g. an unpopular noble family, betrayal/treason by a faction, a faction was too strong, &c.)
- 0 (0%)
Economic/Guild reasons (e.g. a group in a guild was not conforming to the guild, a merchant family was outshining the rest, a merchant bought out the slums for a new warehouse(exiling the current residents), &c.)
- 1 (25%)
Racial reasons (e.g. ancient Bonnleans didn't believe in dwarf-human hybrids, or there were elves.)
- 0 (0%)
Rebellion reasons (e.g. the rebels lost and were exiled, or won and the rulers were exiled.)
- 2 (50%)
Other- Post more if you think of them, and I can add them to the list!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Let's write a Story! (Setting and Characters)  (Read 9322 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Let's write a Story! (Setting and Characters)
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 08:27:17 pm »

ohhhh....interesting...

the stench must be horrid though.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 10:00:14 pm »

A lonely beach. Once every several years, a figure of dark and living coral rises from the waves to speak with another of living tree-wood about the state of the world.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 11:12:50 pm »

Updated the OP.
There are a couple decent characters now, and a city that's waiting to have more history/neighbors. Any and all of this is subject to change. If you think that anything presented could be made cooler, more cinematic, or that it just didn't fit with the vein of what you were suggesting, speak up! Any and all discussion is welcome- this isn't my project, it's ours.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 09:26:39 am »

A weak king controlled by his advisors argues with his strong queen about how to run the kingdom. Elsewhere their daughter ignored by both her parents is being manipulated by the Kings advisor so that one day they may take control of the kingdom.

Basically
advisor=greedy and want the kingdom but they fight among themselves as well
Queen= loving and caring of the people and only wants the best for the kingdom but doesn't have time to look after her daughter
Princess= being taught by the advisors to give power to the people i.e them when she rises to the throne. But princess is much like her mother.
King=weak willed and generally seems like a saddening excuse for a king but you should feel pity for him as much as annoyance for his uselessness.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 03:16:20 pm »

In a shadowy underground realm, those who were banished plot and wait as their forces go over stonger.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 12:10:12 am »

Updated OP. We have two more kingdoms- Bonnlean led by Rileg and Altra, and factions in the Caverns of Threig deep underneath the capital where they were banished in the long past.

Also if anyone else wants to do names, it's really easy. Just google translate words associated with the character into other languages and put one or two together. Mortanus is a combination of the Latin for 'dead' and 'healthy' (I think.) You can get some cool names. (@endlessblaze)

EDIT: To avoid double post, putting this here: There's a poll to help define the world's overall structure.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:07:43 pm by Delioth »
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 06:57:46 pm »

I've got another few ideas, so have (another) city. A key trade spot this time. Now with more info!

A city amidst a plain teems with manipulated life. Trade caravans enter with compost and meat, and exit with a variety of plant-based items, from rose-tinted apples to Sea-green rubber that glows with magic power. The people seem to be happy and obedient, though they seem a little off, in a way that people can't quite identify. Perhaps it is the way that news travels just a mite too fast, or how they seem to know what you want just before you do, or how they don't seem entirely there.

Some of the plants common in the city/surrounding area:

Spoiler: Food/Production Plants (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special (click to show/hide)

Might write up how the internal workings of the city work later
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 07:07:29 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 07:00:27 pm »

K, not sure whether anyone else wanted to vote, but it's been a little while so I'm closing that one down. New poll for something else will be up shortly (Maybe magic in the world? Post suggestions of things that we need some agreement on for it to work if you can think of something. If I get an idea for one of those things, I'll put a poll up tomorrow probably.)

So, the results are in, and the top 2 parts are a standard continent and floating islands. So our world is a great continent of many names due to the many folks that call it home- some secluded and others bustling. However, all around this absolutely massive landscape both in the sky and in the ocean surrounding its vastness are islands, floating in space or water. Some are large, containing whole civilizations while others are small, maybe only as large as a small hut or a single tree's root space. Some say that beneath the great continent is an equally impressive cavern, open for miles and miles in every direction, weird ecosystems developing in the land under the land- just as there are many oddities in the land above the land.
Time is measured in different cycles on the continent and the sky-lands. The continent measures time based on cycles around the sun, years of time. The sky-lands measure time in cycles- the time it takes for an island to make a full revolution around the continent (The islands revolve in a great circle around the continent, like a disk revolving over a turntable.) Each island technically has its own length of cycle, but regions tend to just use the cycle of the largest or most important island in the region.

The Caverns of Threig lay connected to this vast underground and feel its influence, but the Threigian Caverns are not technically part of the underworld.

What oddities lie in this great underworld (Or in the caverns of Threig)? Setting includes races, flora/fauna, history- whatever! If you think of a creature that you want to be unique or everywhere, put it up- it's probably cool and entertaining. If you have a short story of history in the world, put it up- it makes the world start to come alive even more. Submissions to the setting don't have to be cities or specific people- they can be anything!

With that, I'm submitting a few things of my own, and then updating the OP with a misc. section for setting. (Or I might already have one... not quite sure. These'll go there, though.)

Spoiler: Creature-Stormwings (click to show/hide)

Help us write a story!

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 08:52:56 pm »

And just when I thought this was dead. Thank you so much for continuing this.
I got a few things for the Underworld. (Deoterrum might be a good name?)
Spoiler: Lutavis (click to show/hide)

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 10:43:12 pm »

.... I'm terrified now...

And yeah, I've been meaning to post for a while, but I've been formulating that civilization and creatures for a while, just figured I'd give plenty of time for anyone who wanted to poll. It also makes a bit more sense when there are islands in the sky- flying around aerobatically is less interesting when the skies are clear.

I also forgot to mention it in the last post I did, but I admire your work, X4Y4. It's amazing the things that sprout from your head. Everyone here's, actually- you all put out great stuff! Keep it up!
Help us write a story!

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 09:55:36 am »

.... I'm terrified now...

And yeah, I've been meaning to post for a while, but I've been formulating that civilization and creatures for a while, just figured I'd give plenty of time for anyone who wanted to poll. It also makes a bit more sense when there are islands in the sky- flying around aerobatically is less interesting when the skies are clear.

I also forgot to mention it in the last post I did, but I admire your work, X4Y4. It's amazing the things that sprout from your head. Everyone here's, actually- you all put out great stuff! Keep it up!
I've found that having a sort of seed often helps me come up with ideas. For most of the creatures, I used the Automorphica to give me a baseline, then work from there and develop into a fully-fledged creature. For the Central Mind, for example, I got a mix between seaweed and bamboo with a few mental powers- Mental Link, Mindblast, and Heightened Consciousness. I then tossed the mindblast and seaweed in order to get a basic idea for the creature, and then worked with it in order to get the result you can see as the central governance of Glasaigne.

Heh. I got a few more creatures that I'm working on, one of which is below. This one is nasty.
The Deoterrum is shaping up to be a harsh, deadly place.

I had a few more things, but the sheet I have them on is at home and I'm out of time for now.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 06:23:46 pm »

I'll put in a race to inhabit the Deoterrum- and probably another one or two today- it is a massive place, and there would naturally be multiple ways to handle the beasties that lurk in the depths.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:43:47 am by Delioth »
Help us write a story!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 10:35:27 pm »

Spoiler: The Querach (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A Tale of the Querach (click to show/hide)
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 06:38:04 pm »

Nice micelus! History, a race, and a small civilization- really interesting way to tell the story as well. I feel like that Querach might be a character at some point? Also someone now needs to write up that Grunberg University is/was a thing. What do they study? Where is it? &c. &c.

And as promised, another race for the Deoterrum:

Help us write a story!

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 03:32:08 pm »

Bump. Also, a character:
Help us write a story!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4