Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Alcohol-like substances  (Read 1257 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
More Alcohol-like substances
« on: May 09, 2015, 10:29:07 am »

This discussion has been held before, but I don't see a particularly recent one, as in, after a bunch of US states legalized marijuana, recent. 

Off the top of my head, tobacco, cannabis, caffeine, coca, opium and shrooms would be reasonably obtainable medieval substances that dwarves could use.  I'm not suggesting to depict the kind of super drugs that we have in the modern world.  Most of these plants, including tobacco, have been bred or engineered to produce stronger effects than they would have in the middle ages.  The medieval equivalents should not be much stronger than alcohol (keeping in mind, alcohol can be pretty bad if you're not a dwarf)  Opium is strong, but was difficult to produce in abuseable quantity before 1400.  Caffeine of course doesn't grow on trees, exactly, the player would have to obtain and distill substances like coffee, tea, cocoa, kola or guarana to get at it.  Which I guess is also true of opium, I'm less familiar with that one. 

If I remember my war-on-drugs indoctrination propaganda correctly, shrooms are dangerous because they are wild and can have very different levels of hallucinogen per individual, but that feels like a dwarfy or at least rogue-likey caveat.  NetHack had a fun hallucinating syndrome that could be triggered by eating yellow mode, which I could definitely imagine having different levels depending on the severity of shroom.  One of the dangers of hallucinating in NetHack was that it could lead to accidental murders, and I could see shroom abuse causing dwarves to go into temporary Berzerk or Insane status or maybe even shroom induced weird moods.  So the player can either balance letting dwarves use the shrooms for happy thoughts against the occasional bad trip, or try to ban shrooms and prevent dwarves from jumping on them like they were socks. 

Speaking of which, it could be interesting to allow the player to put bans or quotas on the import or production of various substances, or limit their use to medical, religious, trade or recreation.  Dwarves that are addicted to a certain substance (maybe dwarves with an addictive personality, or a lot of stress) could try to steal some drugs from stockpiles or visitors could try to smuggle in contraband.  Assuming that the Dwarven Economy will not be revived for the purpose of contraband, maybe smugglers could appear like thieves or ambushes, a dwarf addict grabs an item of appropriate value  and brings it to the smuggler, the smuggler leaves with the item and the player gets a message "a smuggler has made off with a (whatever it was)".  Alternatively, the dwarf picks up a random item to trade for drugs and the smuggler provides the dwarf with a quantity of drugs based on the value of the item.  Tavern visitors could throw a wrench into the drug war as well. 

I had previously suggested aphrodisiacs, maybe those could function as a type of drug. 

Alfrodo suggested that DF substances like Golden Salve, Mog Juice and Liquid Fire could be treated as drugs.  In the Volsunga Saga, Sigurd roasts a dragon heart to eat, and the fumes give him the ability to speak with birds, and the birds convince him to kill his ally Regin.  Sounds to me a lot like the conversation about shrooms, so perhaps the blood or extracts of megabeasts could have hallucinatory effects. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: More Alcohol-like substances
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:52:58 pm »

This discussion has been held before, but I don't see a particularly recent one, as in, after a bunch of US states legalized marijuana, recent. 
It has multiple times no less and the last only a year ago. If you are going to ignore the posting guidelines on this board you should at least link to the previous discussions as they contain interesting information. If you had something new to add you can bump those old threads. Repeating the same discussions over and over can't be much help for Toady.

Previously most recent thread on it.
Largest thread on it. This one is especially worth checking as it has a massive list of ideas the poster collected into the OP as the discussion developed.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »

Ah, okay thanks.  I was searching for drug names specifically, I guess I should have just searched for drugs. 

You're right, that's some good info, but maybe more in-depth than I think it needs to be.  I'll give it a full read later. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 10:44:52 pm »

Toady has also explicitly put tea trees and coffee trees into the game.  I can't imagine he did so without at some point intending to make the only things those trees are known for also part of the game...

The only reason we don't have beneficial syndromes yet, as I recall one post of Toady's is that it's difficult to code in proper behavior.

Spoiler: Toady quote (click to show/hide)

Hence, presumably, we'll have magical plants that can be brewed into potions or whatever, and presumably at least some of them can make dwarves high.  (See also, this thread.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare