Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Play As Elves?  (Read 11537 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Play As Elves?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 11:31:50 pm »

The way i think of necros is that its sort of possible to already make a necromancer fortress in vanilla by getting any other race to read forbidden knowledge and cerculate it around. So my vote is elves :3

Doing that is a bit buggy though because the undead won't be fortress members and still attack anyone that hasn't read the books themselves.

Also when Meph was talking about his reboot plans 2-3 years ago, it was more like a Frankenstein (movie) thing where there was a bunch of oppressed peasants that did all the labor, the tyrannical nobility that did the administrative work and experimented on the peasants for fun and profit, and the "undead" and/or mutant armies that did all the fighting. So the player would have to balance keeping their nobles happy with various extravagances, keeping their armies extensive by making peasants into monsters, and keeping their peasant population at a sustainable level so they could keep doing those other two things without worrying about a labor shortage.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 03:50:44 am »

The solution is Adventure Mode: Elf Gameplay
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 10:32:04 pm »

Hi, I dont post much on the DF forums but I had some thoughts on playable elves. Mostly, in a#ition to the tree cultivation/branch harvesting I think they should have somr ability to shape trees. And at the rlvery least a way to migrate them away from a small area.

Also. How about allowing them to dig but with lots of negative emotions from darkness and make some sort of lighting system? Though that could be complicated. Maybe some way to encourage open pit mining instead of tunnels. Just my thoughts.

Eligiblefoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 08:44:21 pm »

I just copy the elves from the All Races Playable mod and add in certain things like wooden picks and hatchets as well as certain jobs too. Without being able to dig into the caverns the game gets kind of boring and you need to be able to cut trees to clear an area or else building a fort is kind of a pain.  I also do the same with Goblins. Now if I can figure out how to copy some of the Orc features into the Goblins and I'll be set.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 03:59:22 pm »

I've thought about doing that, Eligiblefoot. I think Elves probably still need some weapons/armor grade wood to be fully realized.

Eligiblefoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 06:36:03 pm »

I think a good mix between vanilla elves and a lord of the rings type Wood Elf would be a good mix. That way they can still be tree huggers but also use more advanced technology. No wood burning but I don't see any reason the elves wouldn't buy coal or lignite from other races. The way vanilla Elves are just makes them kind of boring to be honest. I think maybe a kind of Lord of the rings wood elves would be a good example to go off of.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 06:48:56 pm »

I think they need more depth than ARP gives them, certainly, but I don't think you need to give them dwarf tech to do that. I'm fine with restricting elves to wood, but then give then some way to turn that wood into something like iron for armor and weapons, or petrified stone for furniture. Let elves 'grow' constructions instead of building them from logs.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 10:39:02 am »

I think I messed something up. I added brewing back, but I can't seem to actually brew anything. There are never any Unrotten Drink_MAT-producing plants, even though I have tons of them.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 11:54:30 am »

Something I've noticed from the All Races Playable version of Elf Fortress: Elves really need something to trade to their own people. I was in the awkward position of only really being able to make wood crafts, and I couldn't trade anything wooden to my own people.

ARP lets elves generate wood from seeds at the Crafter workshop. Either Elves need to be able to tell the difference between ethically sourced wood and blood wood, or elves need something else to trade in the early game.

Dark_Author

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 07:54:33 pm »

I would love if playable elves made it into the new masterwork.  Hope you are still considering it.
Girls play DF, too!

Yisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 12:27:00 pm »

This may not be the right place for this but it seems like the Grown Items added to the elves in 43.05 and 44.05. Could solve the trading problem. I don't know how possible it would be to change the carpenters shop to take a new item (saplings) and grow them into what ever you needed. This would also have the advantage of being more elfish lore wise and would add uniqueness to there play style.
Yisin

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 04:23:50 am »

Something I've noticed from the All Races Playable version of Elf Fortress: Elves really need something to trade to their own people. I was in the awkward position of only really being able to make wood crafts, and I couldn't trade anything wooden to my own people.

ARP lets elves generate wood from seeds at the Crafter workshop. Either Elves need to be able to tell the difference between ethically sourced wood and blood wood, or elves need something else to trade in the early game.

This is a old thread, but to the point of a future Elf masterwork pack in the future, i did manage to hammer out a solution in the form of trading wood back into other consumables like obsidian boulders (which needed for mugs + sharpness required for swords, axes and picks), and created an economic loop of growing plants (which seeds can be generated from reactions rather than foraged though foraging is encouraged) wherein the actual seed and animal products harvested by elves goes back into a ethical-matter conversion to build upon ARP's alchemist.

Teneb donated some elf work to Meph in the present year of this post, and i wonder what theirs is like.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Code spoiler is the bulk of my reactions, minus equipment (which is pages of things being converted to wood or metal for lack of metalsmiths to use forges), and the ones where combinations of seeds and wood converted into metal bars, which the balance came out kind of iffy on that one with my adventurers equipping elf-metal because i messed up some of the valuations that made it more preferable than copper while elves were distributing it. Waiting for deliberately extended elf plants to grow and mature definitely justifies it how strong they were in play.

Quote from: Some ideas for Elf Masterwork
> Possible directions include creating natural groves as a form of neutral arena, spawn animals ontop of siegers for instance or within range of cage traps with a big enough offering. Usual overlap with merchants.

> Do some script hackery to trick custom farmland tiles as to work out the best fertile places to put certain workshops or perhaps using the sapling spawning script.

> Elves can cut trees if you give them axes, they really just don't just like it (more fun since emotionality rework for guilt tantrum spirals) and could probably recieve a disease from doing so similarly to humans cave adaption reactions or handling particular types of wood. Crazed pseudo werebeastism nature curse anybody?

I dont think anybody counts elves the most likeable race but i definitely would like to see meph bring them to the new release of Steam DF in the masterwork mod.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 06:02:33 pm »

Kicking a dead horse maybe, especially with a double post (which i dont feel would have improved the previous post as much as it would have made it too hard to read) but i had some more clarified thoughts as to a suggestion towards properly theming the gameplay of the mode.

I only mentioned it breifly but the propostion that farm tiles could be used as a fertile land indicator stands with the intent of having elves split between two different workshop building types, ones that are naturally derived and require this "check" as to assume that they are naturally grown and the more conventionally built types either to accomodate traders or vital workshops.

> Crafting Trees (noun) - Accepting reagent reactions to activate or after time disperse their own resources slowly nearby, the workshop built upon fertile land to mimic the implied function of vanilla DF elven forest retreat groves players can visit but not interact with in adventure mode

> Different kinds and sizes of groves - 'Arena' like groves that spawn multitudes of animals, with a greater input of reagents (see below) and being able to upgrade groves along different paths, pathing into more diverse natural creatures or allied supernatural ones like ents

• Sacrificial groves - Can spawn deer for a price as easy to hunt game to be released into the wild but in a inverse to the succubi hybrid demon den, the shrine will turn all surrounding non-intelligent animals into objects meant to represent physical embodyment of their souls, with (hopefully) a scripted size check to ensure the largest animals like elephants offer more powerful souls than badgers which are meagre and small.
  • This might be helpful as to be a antithesis to how necromancers are meant to harvest souls from citizens, but necromancers use them for evil purposes and elves use them for... probably not evil purposes within context.

In all besides additional content to fill the gaps (such as any range of conventionally built and maintained workshops like advanced bowyers to respect their ability in marksmanship) it would help distinguish elves into a 'niche' and a archetype of the abstractly arcane, as the main races of the masterwork pack (excluding kobolds and succubi) play like each other industrialised to the norm of DF but leaning upon certain strengths of their philosophy and technology.

> Obviously if the player doesn't embark somewhere thats initially fertile on the surface such as a glacier, it is their own responsibility to either irrigate the ground or search for the caverns as a challenge which ties in nicely to the advised spots for elves to mingle without putting any caps on player's creativity to working around problems.

To conclude i would forsee elves as a defensive masterwork civ that relies upon spawners as a form of defensive buffer, and companions helping lead strong attacks in raids though its not outside the realm of possibility to obtain equipment for elves befitting their human like stature for them to lead the way as combatants by trade or invader drops either.
Pages: 1 [2]