Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Should I go back on anti-depressants and how?  (Read 7317 times)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should I go back on anti-depressants and how?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2015, 06:17:55 pm »

There's a big difference between clinical depression (depression with a biological cause) and non-clinical depression (depression due to being sad about bad stuff happening). For the former, attempting to find an anti-depressant which helps is an appropriate treatment, and suggestions along the lines of 'suck it up' or 'try to do things to help you be happier' are unhelpful. For the latter, medication is unlikely to be an appropriate solution, and activities to reduce stress, improve self image, or just have fun, can in fact be helpful.

I'm assuming that since the OP's doctor prescribed antidepressants, that the OP suffers from clinical depression (or at least that's what his doctor believes). I also know from having several family members who have suffered from clinical depression that it can be really difficult for someone without appropriate training to tell the difference between the two, since being depressed encourages behaviors which contribute to an increase in legitimate reasons to be depressed.

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 06:29:21 pm »

yeah well the thread is named "Should I go back on anti-depressants and how?" which implies that op isnt sure which of those two is the case. otherwise this thead would make as much sense as "should i seek medical treatment for my broken arm, or brain tumor?". i mean, op wasnt just wanting proffesional diagnoses otherwise why would he/she post here?

if we would somehow assume that the clinical depression is the case, why would there be any replies in this thread except "do what your doctor says"?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 02:23:06 am »

So the anti-depressants don't really work...

So I am going back on Thursday where something will happen.

My Mother still won't tell me the full name of my psychiatrist so that I cannot get the medication that worked before (out of spite)... so I'll be on antidepressants for a while...

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 09:12:01 am »

Might sound odd, but I tried antidepressants off and on but never liked the 'false happiness' coming from a pill. What did get me out of my depression (and it was bad, with mania, and that was just bundled along with something worse) was a minimum-wage job with a lot of heavy lifting and exercise. For me, feeling ineffective and that I was wasting time is what really got me down in a rut. Having some co-workers to talk to and a reason to wake up every morning changed everything, and only took a few years to move on to a salary job. Now I don't know where you are in life, but the most important thing to making something of yourself is not allowing your flaws to define your life. Don't think in terms of "I can't do that, I'm depressed", or "I've wasted so much time". Try, fail, tell yourself that losing is fun, and embark again. It takes everyone some false starts. My own father, who I always thought was the archetypal company man, apparently spent most of his twenties in a trailer behind his parent's house drinking beer. You'd never be able to tell. Everyone is like that. We all screw up, but some of us dwell on it unhealthily long and others push off of it for the next attempt.

You sounded like me a few years ago, so there's my message in a bottle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 02:21:34 pm »

Update:

The second batch of antidepressants are working! and has VASTLY improved by depression... like 10 fold

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 02:24:55 pm »

Great to hear, Neonivek.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 03:06:43 pm »

yes, good to hear, and best of luck
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 02:36:04 pm »

Not sure if this was discussed. More information is required.

1. can you afford it? I dont know how expensive this is and how often you have to pay to see the psychiatrist.
2. what are the side effects of the medication?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 02:49:04 pm »

These ones have worked excellently and so far no side-effects that I can bring out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 06:14:53 pm »

I didn't get my refill in time and spent 1.5 week off my meds >_< goodness did I feel it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 08:30:26 pm »

I didn't get my refill in time and spent 1.5 week off my meds >_< goodness did I feel it.

Well at least you know it works right? Good on you that you found the solution. I assume you're feeling a lot better?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 11:32:33 pm »

Well at least you know it works right? Good on you that you found the solution. I assume you're feeling a lot better?

Yeah it is kind of insidious because I honestly thought I was better while I was taking it... all it took me was being off it for a little while to remind me why I needed it in the first place.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2015, 05:17:29 am »

Update:
I've decided to go back Monday to get a strong prescription... absolutely vital for December.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 08:27:28 pm »

Cognitive behavior therapy is another way to treat clinical depression which can reportedly help even after you discontinue it. http://pro.psychcentral.com/cognitive-behavioral-therapy-versus-medications-for-depression-how-do-they-compare/005268.html#

(I should note that I don't have any relevant personal experience)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2015, 07:30:22 pm »

Don't worry about "false happiness".  That's a red herring.  If you're suffering from clinical depression then that's down to an imbalance, which means by definition your depression is a false depression.

To answer your original question: basically you have to decide who you want to be.  Are you going to be Neonivek the Depressed; can you cope with that personality or not?  If not, then try Neonivek on A/D treatment A.  If that doesn't work (you're too hyper for example), can that be fixed by using a lower dose?  If not then treatment B.  If that doesn't work/isn't fixable, then treatment C...and so on.  Someone was telling me not long ago that is the choice they have to make; they don't want to be on pills for the rest of their life, but on the other hand they can't cope with being depressed, so the meds are the lesser of two evils.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5