Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.22.123.23a Released  (Read 6413 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.22.123.23a Released
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 04:48:00 pm »

Ah, good.  Then it's the "intended" speed.  It should be straightforward to allow the maximum speed to be set lower than that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 02:23:00 pm »

On my laptop, it doesn't seem possible to set a refresh higher than 60Hz...is there a setting somewhere in DF to disable vsync waiting?  I'd like to get that 95-100 FPS speed if I can--it sounds great!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »

DF doesn't know about vsync...  I don't know what vsync is, though somebody talked about it up there.  I don't know how to make DF think about it, if that's something that happens.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »

fyi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vsync

Vsync is something that limits frame rate to the monitor's frame rate.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 01:00:00 am »

OpenGL should have a function to enable or disable vsync, which you could have DF call.

I expect it's enabled by default. If it's disabled, you might see visual tearing, but games can achieve a higher framerate. Of course, you can't actually SEE X frames if the refresh rate is lower than X hz. It'd be showing partially updated frames instead.

Personally, I always have vsync on. But you could make game cycles independent from graphics cycles, and have the game run at a (usually) consistent rate while the graphics run at whatever speed they can accomplish. To do that you'd need to do both in separate threads, and use something to make sure the graphics aren't trying to render something while the game is changing it.

[ January 10, 2007: Message edited by: SL ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

Any idea then why my laptop won't go over 60 FPS?  It's not processor limited, I don't think, since it starts the game at 60, and keeps a steady 60 even when I have over 100 dwarves and a huge complex (except during floods when it goes to 30 or so temporarily, but that's a known issue).
Pages: 1 [2]