Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: You are the bridge crew of a Galactic Imperial light cruiser (completed)  (Read 34148 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: You are the bridge crew of a Galactic Imperial light cruiser
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 07:52:58 am »

"Yes, that's a good suggestion. I say we first plot a quick jump in the direction of Ryloth, in case whoever the late captain was waiting for gets here. I don't wanna be around when a pirate ship drops out of hyperspace. Then, we can get our things in order, make sure all hands are accounted for, before moving on to Ryloth proper.

Sargeant Taricus, I take it you were in charge of ship security?"

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 07:56:36 am »

GM comment
Adding characters as they're submitted.

@Taricus: check your PMs. (Also, are you armed/armored right now or wearing your corps uniform?)

@everyone, replace reference to "ID badge" with code cylinder

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 08:12:32 am »

"Probably just the best one qualified for it. Stormtrooper officer, Sergeant major rank sir. Anyway..." he said, reaching down over the commander taking the credstick and code cylinder off the late commander's body.

"I can likely go through his quarters with these, and go through the rest of his personal affects to see what he was up to. Once we return to base we'd have to turn all of his things over to the ISB though."

((In Officer Fatigues at the moment, so only the standard sidearm on at the moment.))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 08:14:25 am »

Bridge Officer Snail: Major Navigator, Minor Communications Officer

I'd say we save coordinates of our current location. Whatever the late captain wants to do here might come in question later.
I do stuff, I guess

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 08:22:27 am »

"Yes, of course, misread your rank squares for a second. We can go through the late captain's belongings, but lets wait with that until we are out of the immediate area, and in safer terrain."

Bridge Officer Snail: Major Navigator, Minor Communications Officer

I'd say we save coordinates of our current location. Whatever the late captain wants to do here might come in question later.

"Excellent suggestion. Doesn't the nav computer log all our positions already though? Either way, can never hurt to have a back up. I trust you can handle that?"

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 08:30:55 am »

Midshipman BFEL: Major Electronics Technician, Minor Programmer

Er, apologies for my interruption earlier Liuetenant, I may have overreacted a bit to the Commanders...end.

If I might make a suggestion regarding ship security? I may be able to mock up a way to use the crew's code cylinders as tracking devices...

Pull the Lieutenant aside and make suggestion
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Of course. But it'll take a while to get back to civilised space so I may as well do it now. It shouldn't take too long from my regular duties at any rate. At the very least I'll keep the cylinder and credstick on me to prevent anyone else using them."

Pick up and pocket the late commander's credit chip and code cylinder, and secure them into my jacket so that no-one else can use them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 08:51:30 am »

what do we need to do to plot a course and go places, just order the appropriate npc? Oh, and check if I have my cose cylinder and stuff on me.

There are no npcs aboard the ship. Crew+passenger capacity for your vessel is 26. For scale, it's about 7 meters longer than the Millenium Falcon, though it has a significantly different form factor. The bridge is about 20 feet across.

I'm going to assume that any character with at least one skill that would make them relevant on the bridge would be capable of at least minimally piloting the ship. Looking at characters so far, Snail555 is a navigator so he's obviously your best choice. Radio Controlled, you're a tactical officer. Even if flying isn't your specialty, I think it's reasonable to assume that you'd be able to fly the ship.

Yes, your code cylinder is where it should be.

who is on the bridge right now?

Looks like you, BFEL, Taricus, Ituem, IronyOwl, Zanzetkuken and Snail555 at the moment. Mastahcheese was here a moment ago but left.

Do we have any stormtroopers?

Taricus is a stormtrooper. Guess we'll see if anyone else signs up as one.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 09:05:59 am »

Taricus is a stormtrooper. Guess we'll see if anyone else signs up as one.
(Just remember we only have the two suits!)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn update

(GM Comment: feel free to roleplay and discuss among yourselves all you like. I'm not going to quote everybody who posts to tell you that you told somebody something, but "Turn Update" in bold like this means definite actions have been taken.)

Pick up and pocket the late commander's credit chip and code cylinder, and secure them into my jacket so that no-one else can use them.

Stormtrooper Seargent Taricus takes Commander Tells' credit chip and code cylinder from his jacket, and puts them into an interior jacket pocket of his own.

save coordinates of our current location. Whatever the late captain wants to do here might come in question later.

Snail555 makes note of the ship's current location in the Nav system. Logging of previous positions is done automatically by the ship's computers, and a skilled navigator like yourself could probably find your way back without them. For example, that Pulsar 25 lightyears away has been feeding you EM pulses for the past 16 days, and relative star positions have all been visually recorded. Based on that data, and given some time you're pretty sure you could get back to within a couple hundred million kilometers of this position even without specific coordinates. But you take note of the precise coordinates anyway, just in case.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Review what protocol for transponder failure is. Surely we have other identification methods. Comm codes for example, as I doubt our communucations are unsecured.

Review what Imperial procedures call for the wiping of the transponder. Mutiny, Piracy, scuttling ...

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile

Snail plots course for Ryloth and inputs them into navigation computer.

And that's done. If anyone want a jump back to proper civilisation with proper cups of tea it's one button press away. Well, sorta. From there we can jump to most outposts way easier.
I do stuff, I guess

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Question, doesn't plotting jumps take some time, with longer jumps needing more calculation time? Or can we assume instant plotting?))

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Question, doesn't plotting jumps take some time, with longer jumps needing more calculation time? ))

Yes, but minutes, not hours.

Or can we assume instant plotting?

Not instant, no. If you're being shot at, don't expect to insta-plot and jump to warp to escape. But when you're sitting around in a non-combat situation chatting each other like right now, I'm not going to post a turn update to say that you "start plotting" a course and then wait a real life day to tell you how long it will take to get there. Proper narrative flow, and all that.

Review what protocol for transponder failure is. Surely we have other identification methods. Comm codes for example, as I doubt our communucations are unsecured.

Review what Imperial procedures call for the wiping of the transponder. Mutiny, Piracy, scuttling ...

10ebbor10: I don't have a character submission for you. Would you like to play? Post major/minor skills and rank and so forth and then go ahead and have a walk onto the bridge moment like Ituem did.

To answer the question:wiping the transponder code generation software (along with any other sensitive data) would be standard procedure in any instance where the ship is expected to be definitely lost, abandoned, etc.

Perhaps I was not sufficiently clear, but like Taricus pointed out the Imperial code software and the ship identifier hardware are not the same thing. They are separate systems. Even a ship that's not a naval ship still has a transponder that identifies it.

Think of caller ID on a phone. It's all automated. When you make a phone call, you don't have to specifically do anything to turn caller ID on, that data is simply sent along with the conversation, and whomever's on the other end can see it. In the case of a military transmission, the Imperial code software provides a layer of authentication. But in your case, not only do you lack the code software, your ship's identifier that even any civilian vessel would have, is off.

So when the base comms officer received an incoming transmission with not only no authentication, but also what is effectively a great big "Caller ID blocked" on it, he just assumed it was a prank. It's not that the loss of the code software is a huge problem or that nobody could possibly believe you that you might be an Imperial warship, but right now you look like you're obviously trying to hide who you are.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15