Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sea Monsters  (Read 4888 times)

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sea Monsters
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:13:49 pm »

Have you ever seen any sea creatures while swimming (or diving) in adventure mode?

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Monsters
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:30:49 pm »

Personally, no. But fun lurks everywhere.
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 07:22:09 pm »

Back in 0.34, I was attacked by three sea serpents (on separate occasions) while sleeping on a beach while training. They airdrowned. I later came back and raised them as zombies and used them to destroy a city.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:24:38 pm »

Back in 0.34, I was attacked by three sea serpents (on separate occasions) while sleeping on a beach while training. They airdrowned. I later came back and raised them as zombies and used them to destroy a city.
Swag
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:14:35 pm »

I always thought you only saw sea monsters when you went far enough offshore. That said, I've never gone far enough offshore to see any sea creatures.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:54:55 pm »

I have swum for days in an ocean in 0.34 (as a vampire) and I saw nothing but salty water.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 12:04:16 am »

I have swum for days in an ocean in 0.34 (as a vampire) and I saw nothing but salty water.
That would be so terrifying though. There being actual giant serpents in the water that might just come up and kill you at any moment as you just swim. Though, I guess in Dwarf Fortress there's no combat penalties for being in water so actually it would just be like fighting a normal giant serpent which isn't that terrifying.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 11:51:14 pm »

That would be so terrifying though. There being actual giant serpents in the water that might just come up and kill you at any moment as you just swim. Though, I guess in Dwarf Fortress there's no combat penalties for being in water so actually it would just be like fighting a normal giant serpent which isn't that terrifying.
Most land-based races are quite a bit slower in the water than they are on land, even if you are a legendary swimmer.  And if you aren't a particularly strong swimmer, getting knocked down while in the water could set you floundering which could really mess up your fighting.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 09:08:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But does movement speed actually effect combat in the newest version? Isn't that why undead are ridiculously OP in DF 2015?

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 12:32:59 am »

But does movement speed actually effect combat in the newest version? Isn't that why undead are ridiculously OP in DF 2015?
undead are supposed to be slow, but they can sprint forever because they can't get tired. They have a strength bonus from being undead and stuff. Plus they can't get tired from combat. You can run but not until you are tired.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 11:55:11 am »

undead are supposed to be slow, but they can sprint forever because they can't get tired. They have a strength bonus from being undead and stuff. Plus they can't get tired from combat. You can run but not until you are tired.

Once you get 15+ skills and superdwarven stats it matters less though since you can sprint basically forever as well. Just run away and throw stuff at them until they fall apart.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:07:26 pm »

Same thing happened me just two months ago. In my case, I didn't discover what was supposedly attacking me until the morning, which is when I was two dead Sea Serpents on the beach.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 01:41:55 am »

[Obligatory post about how awesome boats/ships would be in DF]

[gratuitous squeeing about how amazing a waterborne fort would be]
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 07:01:20 pm »

I always thought you only saw sea monsters when you went far enough offshore. That said, I've never gone far enough offshore to see any sea creatures.
oh no, they can bring the Fun to you in dwarf mode, I've had it happen
(it wasn't that dangerous though)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 03:52:33 am »

I made an underwater fort once, but the fact that I'd made a hole into an aquifer drained everything and killed FPS.
EDIT: here it is
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149165.msg6087132#msg6087132
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:57:22 am by Insert_Gnome_Here »
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.
Pages: [1] 2