Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sea Monsters  (Read 4877 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Monsters
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 08:57:15 pm »

I made an underwater fort once, but the fact that I'd made a hole into an aquifer drained everything and killed FPS.
EDIT: here it is
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149165.msg6087132#msg6087132
I have a question for you, is it possible to drain the ocean (in a fort mode locality anyway) into an aquifer, or does it refill from map edges?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 09:25:30 pm »

I got a sea serpent at one point. I was so confused about why it was so close to shore that I forgot to throw my picks and hammers. Barely beat it, the thing was tough. Never fought one in fortress mode though.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 12:55:05 am »

I made an underwater fort once, but the fact that I'd made a hole into an aquifer drained everything and killed FPS.
EDIT: here it is
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149165.msg6087132#msg6087132
I have a question for you, is it possible to drain the ocean (in a fort mode locality anyway) into an aquifer, or does it refill from map edges?

It refills from map edges infinitely, and aquifers can drain infinitely. If you have the two in equal numbers, they can hypothetically cancel out, but your CPU will murder you for trying, because oceans tend to have a LOT of edge tiles to refill from. 

You're better off trying to obsidian-cast a local chunk of ocean, instead. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 10:52:11 am »

Can confirm. Waterfall on map and 3 FPS if lucky.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 02:45:23 pm »

How far offshore do you need to be to find sea monsters? I'm doing vampire diving but haven't found anything, even at the bottom of the sea.

EDIT: Actually just found some crabmen on a beach, so that's something.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:05:56 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 06:49:55 pm »

How far offshore do you need to be to find sea monsters? I'm doing vampire diving but haven't found anything, even at the bottom of the sea.

EDIT: Actually just found some crabmen on a beach, so that's something.

You don't.  You can get them standing on the beach.  In fact, shallower waters should be easier, as there's lest vast deeps for them to hide within. 

Adventurer mode is just generally much more barren than Fortress Mode tends to be, as you tend to have a lot of "ships passing in the night" where there's something spawned, but you just can't find it. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]