Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vanity Survey  (Read 5470 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Vanity Survey
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 01:21:48 am »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 01:23:21 am »

After I get enough names, idk it may be fun to have an awards ceremony or something.
Please don't.
+1.

Please don't.
+1
+1
+1

Terrible idea for various reasons, mainly that the quality of a GM is subjective.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 12:36:19 pm »

I think it would be a good idea...  :'(
Black lives matter.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 01:25:40 pm »

I'm not entirely sure why it'd be such a terrible idea. It's not like it has any major impact or official standing; it seems more like just a shout-out to people who run games that other forumites like.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 01:45:29 pm »

Perhaps, because ego's are easily bruised?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 02:03:36 pm »

Well, this is a vanity survey. Its whole purpose is to fish for compliments to one's games. If somebody gets awards, that inverts the entire purpose and merely reaffirms the inferiority of the same people who'd follow this sort of thread. Possibly unrelatedly, it's also mildly embarrassing.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 02:51:45 pm »

I'm not entirely sure why it'd be such a terrible idea. It's not like it has any major impact or official standing; it seems more like just a shout-out to people who run games that other forumites like.
Because it would be a load of meaningless, cliquey bullshit that promoted self-congratulatory board elitism. If you want to circlejerk there are plenty of fine orgies devoted to that sort of thing.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 03:16:58 pm »

Because it would be a load of meaningless, cliquey bullshit that promoted self-congratulatory board elitism. If you want to circlejerk there are plenty of fine orgies devoted to that sort of thing.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

To me the problem is the difference between knowing that individual players appreciate your games, or at least recognize that they play them, which this thread is fine for, and being told that among all of those running games you are special. The first keeps you going, and is important for maintaining motivation. The second is highly artificial and can easily create unnecessary tension between individuals.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 03:26:10 pm »

No need to get all salty. I was asking for the reasons behind people opinions, not for a load of vitriol. It seems like a harmless (tasteless, yes; harmless, also yes) idea to me, so I was curious why everyone disagreed.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 03:28:55 pm »

Well, I would also have seen the original intent of this thread, to give some of our gm's a motivating "pat on the back". It also might serve as an indicator of interest, as I have to confess to never really having looked much at the "Roll to dodge" forums, nor piecewise's childboard. By accounts in here, I really might be missing out on something.

Either way, any kind of award or ranking or somesuch, would have a very negative effect. For one, it is comparing apples with oranges. And melons. And grapes, pears and what-not. As the creativity and spread of game-types on this forum is frankly very broad - in a good sense - comparing them to each other, is not something we should really do.

In short - personal opinions are fine and dandy, but parading them around as some sort of fact, is not.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 03:49:31 pm »

PTW
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 04:05:56 pm »

To me the problem is the difference between knowing that individual players appreciate your games, or at least recognize that they play them, which this thread is fine for, and being told that among all of those running games you are special. The first keeps you going, and is important for maintaining motivation. The second is highly artificial and can easily create unnecessary tension between individuals.

Maybe I'm biased. To me, any negative impact this thread may have has already happened.

Look, I'm sure you're all aware of the dumb brain thing that happens where you can hear any number of positives, but a single negative leaves a bad aftertaste in your mind. You, Urist, have been mentioned five times in this thread already. I have not been mentioned once. That doesn't mean that Teovanth (which I have been working on for two months and have spent an absurd number of hours drawing and writing in an attempt to improve my abilities) is bad or that people dislike me (I mean, they might and I don't know it, but I don't think that's the case); it just means that you and your games are well-liked. Which is good! And it's good that people have an opportunity to encourage you by mentioning it.

But by omission (and I'm aware this is illogical and absurd; I'm just explaining my reasons why I don't have the same view on the awards as the majority of you), I've already felt any sting that I would feel if GameBoyBlue said 'Hey Urist! Congrats, people like your games!'

tl;dr: The awards don't matter. The moment people voice their opinions in a format that only allows them to give one answer per question, it does the exact same thing you're all concerned the awards will do.
Pages: 1 [2]