Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [SG] War for Mars  (Read 10336 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
[SG] War for Mars
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:55:08 pm »

So, I hear you want to know about the Martian War? No no, don't tell me, a journalist... That constant note-taking gives you away my friend; maybe you should buy a recorder, hah. My name? Yes you can have my name, my name is Gavin Dak. Back then... Yeah, the year was still 7XXX. I started the war as a private, I was a member of the 51st Earth Expeditionary Force. It formed in the same year we were dispatched to Mars to put a stop to the rebellion.

I had just touched planetside only a few months ago and hadn't met a single Martian partisan, though I'd heard many stories of their exploits. I was not fresh however, I'm also a veteran of the Outer Wars, which were some years hence at the time. I was quite happy in my military career, I had not even reached the rank of corporal. But in the course of that dire campaign, I was raised immediately to that of lieutenant and led my fellows in a desperate battle against a fierce and hardened enemy. I'm going to tell you the story of how that came about.

Ah, go ahead, ask a few questions before I get started. It's a long story and I don't want to be interrupted if I can help it.

So you were in the infantry? [Choose One]
- Yeah, I was just a regular grunt.
- No, I drove armored vehicles.

This is a short game to hold me over while Void Black starts up. It's also a test! Of...things! Also, I'm terrible, because I do letters nearly the same way every time when I pixel. :P

Credit for the intro goes to this Napoleonic memoir for the intro, which also inspired the events of the game.

---

This game is about being a leader. The following factors are vital and should be considered when giving your men orders:
Spoiler: Unit Factors (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Soldier States (click to show/hide)

Code: (Unit Type) [Select]
[Cover]   [Equipment/Vehicle Weapons]
Name | Role | MC:Stable  EXP:Recruit  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | Weapon [Ammo]
Spoiler: Unit Types (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:41:14 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] War for Mars (Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »

In a time before time, I had a name.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] War for Mars
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:20:07 pm »

PTW for now.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:47:01 pm »

+1
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:51:10 pm »

I was the guy that fired the nukes.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 05:52:28 pm »

+1
+1

What did you do, exactly?
- We were a mechanized battalion. We did a lot of recce amongst the highlands with our GEVs (ground-effect vehicles), there was also some availability of special jump-capable power armor and most of us were trained with it. The Martians only had wheels and treads aside from a few captured vehicles, but in spite of the tech advantage we learned to hate those sandy, red hills. They were rife with hidden rebel positions and camouflaged AA and artillery sites. Our first few days were spent being harassed and ambushed, but we learned quickly and began to hit back. It wasn't until then that the real war started for us.
- My company was a line infantry detachment aboard an overland battleship, the UFOB Tokugawa. We operated along the northern plains acting as a support detachment for the ship. It was an experience not unlike living in a rolling condominium. The ship was a mobile base, we would act as pickets when it was parked. It's far more exciting than I make it sound, they also deployed us for assaults during the sieges of the domed cities you see. We only had the third highest casualty rate of any United Federation unit involved in the Martian war, but that's because they didn't count all the men we lost to PTSD in that hell.
- I was a member of the air cavalry. We inserted more times than any airborne unit in existence. We made every kind of trip there was: fast-rope descent from a VTOL, RIPs (Rapid Insertion Pods) shot from low altitude aircraft, hell we even used silk chutes once. That suited us just fine though, we were primitive, the combat was so close during urban drops that some of the men carried short-handled battleaxes. We were the best, dropping into any location and conducting what we at least perceived to be vital missions, nearly always cut off from the main force. We sabotaged infrastructure, kidnapped leaders, assaulted forts, and grounded the Martian aerospace forces single-handedly.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »

- I was a member of the air cavalry.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 05:57:50 pm »

- I was a member of the air cavalry.
+1
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 05:58:00 pm »

((A bit undecided on suicide skydrop or suicide city siege... Well, battle-axes sound good. Very good.))

- I was a member of the air cavalry. We inserted more times than any airborne unit in existence. We made every kind of trip there was: fast-rope descent from a VTOL, RIPs (Rapid Insertion Pods) shot from low altitude aircraft, hell we even used silk chutes once. That suited us just fine though, we were primitive, the combat was so close during urban drops that some of the men carried short-handled battleaxes. We were the best, dropping into any location and conducting what we at least perceived to be vital missions, nearly always cut off from the main force. We sabotaged infrastructure, kidnapped leaders, assaulted forts, and grounded the Martian aerospace forces single-handedly.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:06:21 pm »

I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 07:03:04 pm »

This is how it's gonna work; you ask the questions, I'll answer them. I did mention interruptions earlier, but allow me to make an addendum to that statement: This story is going to take all night, so I'm bound to screw up a few details here and there. I'll take a break now and then; during those times feel free to grill me about inconsistencies in my story, ask me to clarify or go over something I didn't cover. I know a lot about the Army and the United Federation in general so I can explain anything you'd like to know.

Thank you very much Mister Dak-

Please, call me Gav. The boys always called me Gav.

Gav, then. So to start..
- Tell me about the United Solar Federation. [META]
- Tell me about the Martian rebels. [META]
- Tell me about the events leading up to the Martian war. [META]
- What was your involvement in the Battle of Phobos? There wasn't much in the papers, all I know is that it was a short naval battle that coincided with the Landings on Mars proper. [META]
- The Landings. I'm told it was quite bloody. [META]
- We'll come back to the Landings later. Tell me about your first deployment in the Air Cavalry. [META]
- [Ask your own question.]

[META] Choose this dialogue option to learn more about the war.
[BATTLE] Choose this option to play out a battle as Gavin. (Currently Unavailable)
You can also pose your own questions in lieu of the suggested options.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:56:33 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 07:08:25 pm »

Tell me about the rebels.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 07:29:38 pm »

Tell me about the United Solar Federation.
Dying of laughter?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 07:43:04 pm »

- Tell me about the Martian rebels. [META]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7