Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: any Military tips for masterwork?  (Read 4026 times)

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of the steelflame fort
    • View Profile
any Military tips for masterwork?
« on: May 12, 2015, 12:37:08 pm »

Military building in DF has always been one of the most important and complex(good gods so complex) things in DF itself,

and just like in vanilla DF when you get Military down you pretty much are set, but thats easier said then done.

the point of this topic is this, can i take the DF wiki here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Military_quickstart and will it more or less work in DFMW? if so GOOD! but is there any bugs that i need too look out for that MW has when it comes too Military and so on.

and ANY Military tips will be very much liked in this topic too, thank you guys and hope you can help!
("Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
I'm 99% sure this is how Resident Evil started.)

("A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration")

("I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.")

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
Re: any Military tips for masterwork?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 12:44:50 pm »

Seven steps for creating efficient and sizeable military :

1. Create a squad,
2. Craft some iron-grade armor and weapons,
3. Assemble a danger room full of featherwood traps,
4. Dump some useless peasants in there,
5. Assign your newly-created supersoldiers to squads,
6. Equip them with previously created weapons,
7. Behold your new weapon of mass-destruction!

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 05:55:04 am »

Squad all your idle drofs, don them at least copper grade armor and set yer meeting area at a danger room. And boom, easy dorf soldiers. For mdf, always rune all your weapons and armors with anything you get, they are effective against almost anything.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 05:59:27 am by jason0320 »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 04:16:05 pm »

* Many weapons (macuahuitl or daikatana for example) can be wielded 1H by an Uruk but require 2H for a lesser orc
* Some weapons (club, maul) are devastating in the hands of an Olog but are too blunt to be effective in the hands of a smaller orc

* Basic orcish weapons are mostly good at slashing.  If you are facing steelclad enimies you may need to either tech up or get foreign loot to get great piercing or crushing weapons; or get some ebony, ashglass, or mithril blades.

* Ashglass is light.  Ebonglass is heavy.  Both are strong; compared to high-end metals the glasses don't bend much before they break.  Orichalcum is particularly good against impact, and is used for some magical weapons.  All require special buildings and ingredients to mass produce, but are worth trading for at the caravan when you can.  Deepbronze is superior for all applications but too heavy for untrained users to wear as armor, and can't be traded for. 

* Many orcish weapons have both melee and ranged modes.  The tomahawk is good for civilian militia (killing keas and what not).  If you choose to advance in tech you can get more powerful versions like Dragon Warrior Society gear (bow & katana) or Legion Auxilla gear (hammer and crossbow).

* Pistols are just OK, muskets pierce armor and cause pain, hand cannons actually kill (but are heavy)

* Best weapons in the mod are probably dwarvish Legendary weaponry of any kind; and the mechanized crossbow or javelin thrower.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:46:19 pm by smakemupagus »

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:48:23 am »

@smakemupagus

i NEED too do a ork fort soon, they just seem too bad-ass and fun NOT too!

i have a idea for a ork embark but need too play them abit before i try it, but here is my idea:

*make a embark of orks with combat skills*

*give all of them weapons and armor and a bit of food and drink as well as some seeds and digging picks*

*embark on a human fortress*

*draft all orks in the military*

*!FUN! ensues*

*if all gos well then you have a new fort for the horde!*

gods i hope you can do that in this mod, can you embark on civs like in older DF or is this a pipe dream?
("Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."

("I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.")

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:03:59 am »

@smakemupagus

i NEED too do a ork fort soon, they just seem too bad-ass and fun NOT too!

i have a idea for a ork embark but need too play them abit before i try it, but here is my idea:

*make a embark of orks with combat skills*

*give all of them weapons and armor and a bit of food and drink as well as some seeds and digging picks*

*embark on a human fortress*

*draft all orks in the military*

*!FUN! ensues*

*if all gos well then you have a new fort for the horde!*

gods i hope you can do that in this mod, can you embark on civs like in older DF or is this a pipe dream?

If you're willing to download Embark Everywhere utillity - then yes, it's possible.

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:16:21 am »

@Emperor

you know where i can find it? if you dont mind.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:17:44 am »

@Emperor

you know where i can find it? if you dont mind.

Certainly!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21351.0

I'm not sure if it works on 40.24, though.

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 09:18:33 am »

awesome! thank you Emperor, i'll play some orks too see HOW they play and (if i dont forget) i'll test this lil'pipe dream out!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:29:28 pm »

Don't neglect your military early with any of the non-civilized races, even on a regular embark.  Even one squad of dwarves or elves can mess up your day in a hurry.  You don't necessarily need to embark with anything special, just have some kind of plan for how to gear up, or get walls up quick.

If you end up doing your Embark anywhere invasion, you should be able to use Meph's GUI to tweak the embark squad size and points, if you want.

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 01:47:20 am »

indeed smakemupagus, all ready done some embark stuff with that, i like it and had some fun times like:

had a 30 dorf embark and a CRAP-TON of points

but the 2 hunters i had at the start began too hunt some carp...next to a waterfall...about 8 zs down...

and it all kinda went down hill from there XD

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 07:03:39 am »

also two things:

1: any tips on how too keep your soldiers happy?

2:how do Colosseums work? as in what do you need for the reactions and how long do said reactions take before the dorf that does it gets pile-drived by the balrog that he summoned?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 08:13:05 pm »

Not sure how youve set up your schedule but my soldiers are active every month with no breaks. Dwarves don't like being recruited and don't like going off duty. I find it best to train two member dwarf squads so they level fast and send them all the time to kill wildlife so they can take joy in slaughter and numb them up from all the witnessed death. Keeps them pretty happy. Provides good meat too much faster than hunters and I can control them.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 05:15:12 pm »

iirc dwarfs don't get a bad thought if they have a point or two in a skill like fighting when joining the militia

i should do an orc embark.  i'm terrible at starting a militia :-[
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 04:32:42 pm »

iirc dwarfs don't get a bad thought if they have a point or two in a skill like fighting when joining the militia

i should do an orc embark.  i'm terrible at starting a militia :-[

Why assign a militia, when your entire fort can fight? Slap knuckle dusters on every single urist, ork, midget, necro, or what have you, and when an enemy comes rally them to a central point - then send your 100+ militia of bruisers out to fight. it works very well. Try it. ;) (Not even joking, just avoid any ranged units, and try to 'warm up' on stranglers, beak wolves, etc if they are on). Surprisingly effective. Also gives your doctor an actual use! (I'd advise this only for the more advanced players who seek a challenge, but a fun one none the less).

A fun tip, make a pet shop, and buy elephants. Steelclad said elephants. Now, use the war Kennel to war train them to 15 skills, and assign these, to your military (or as 'guard dogs'). They make brilliant companions as they are VERY freakin' hard to kill, and have a smash (very handy for armored foes), and a pierce (gore) attack. Even 5 of these can be amazing in a fight. They are rather slow to breed (if I recall it's something absurd like 5-10 years for a 'calf' to hit adulthood), but yes.

Another tip, use bladed arrows or projectiles. 'but enemies wear armor, and broadheaded (bladed) arrows are useless on armor!" - sure. Except all siegers have their legs/arms/butts/necks exposed without any protection at all. Slice off a siegers arm, they can't use their shield or weapon. Slice a leg off, they can't run easily, add in most bleed to death rather easily - bladed ammo is EXTREMELY overpowered especially compared to other types. Piercing is basically 'hit their heart or brain' or why even shoot? Blunt ammo similar issue. Same for guns.

Another-another tip, don't bother with legionaries caste. The Demon Born (I believe?) from the EVIL magic altar, impart very similar boons of the legion caste, but also give MAX strength (7500/7500 instantly, most often) as well as raising stat caps of endurance, etc, to crazy heights (which legion varies greatly based on luck). Further, they are able to dual-wield two handed weapons without effort, they cause fear and necrosis? I think? naturally by their presence, dont' feel fear and such factors. They are like... insanely, utterly overpowered and make a legion caste absolutely moot, especially as you can buy or cultivate the evil-logs from the fancy-trade-shop, or from the herbalist crafting shop, meaning you can get this anywhere.

The only true fact for military in MW, is that basically, it's too damn easy once you figure out the mechanics of it. When 3 individuals in steel armor can charge an army of 120+ ranged elves, and not be struck once when the elves are at 15 skills across the board... well. Why add runes, plate armor, poisons, 'candy', volcanic metal, pets, traps, turrets, or such advanced things in? There's simply no need for it.

(yes, I know this is a month old - but thought I'd toss in some things people might not know, meh :P).
Pages: [1] 2