Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS Dead on Arrival  (Read 1304 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
FPS Dead on Arrival
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:00:31 am »

I've been trying to play adventure mode, but I keep having trouble with game speed.  A couple times starting in fortresses, I was already FPS dead after character generation.  Entering or walking near fortresses was also problematic.  Towns and Hillocks were okay, but it seems dumb to have to play the game avoiding population centers. 

Any advice?
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Dead on Arrival
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:47:35 am »

What are you playing on? More populated sites will incur a crap-ton of lag, so you'll need a semi-decent computer to run them at a reasonable FPS.

I'd say maybe you could use a bit of modding to decrease the total number of peoples per civ, but apparently that behavior is either unimplemented or bugged.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:33:29 pm »

I assume by fortresses you mean dwarf fortresses?  I sometimes have trouble with these as well, while things are OK for me in most other locations.  While the new dwarf fortresses are cool, there isn't really that much to do in them yet, so avoiding them isn't going to dramatically impact your gameplay.  The main way to interact with them is the trade depot, which is on the surface above the fort, and which I usually can visit without problems.

Do you have big problems if you go into a human town?  I am usually OK so long as I don't exit fast travel mode in a marketplace (too many people there).  If your computer can't handle moving around in a human town then you may not be able to effectively play adventure mode using it.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 05:55:16 pm »

I'm actually playing a mod game where various animal people (foxes, rabbits, lizards) live in dwarf-style fortresses and others (horses, lions, ducks) live in human or elven style cities.  But I was also parkouring through a Dark Pits and it went bananas as I got close to a big cylindrical thing surrounded by trolls.  I got through one dwarven fortress fine, but when I got to another one, it died of lag as I was looking at the wall. 

I am playing on a gaming computer, but there might be some malware or loose ends causing it to slow down. 

The world is small with a high number of civs and long history, as I was hoping to visit a lot of different mod races with short travel time. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:44:00 pm »

I'm actually playing a mod game where various animal people (foxes, rabbits, lizards) live in dwarf-style fortresses and others (horses, lions, ducks) live in human or elven style cities.  But I was also parkouring through a Dark Pits and it went bananas as I got close to a big cylindrical thing surrounded by trolls.  I got through one dwarven fortress fine, but when I got to another one, it died of lag as I was looking at the wall. 

I am playing on a gaming computer, but there might be some malware or loose ends causing it to slow down. 

The world is small with a high number of civs and long history, as I was hoping to visit a lot of different mod races with short travel time.

I haven't been to any dwarven fortresses, but I tend to stay away from goblin sites due to the insane amounts of lag that I experience there. Human and elven sites work (mostly) fine though. Larger human cities can be a bit slow, but they're still playable.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:28:44 pm »

If you're using DFHack, thanks to Rumrusher and Max™ pointing to it, there's a method when using the "gamemaster editor" tool that comes with DFHack to make unplayable sites playable .
I wrote a simple "how to" for those not used to that gamemaster tool from DFHack :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149349.msg6104384#msg6104384

But warning, it's rather hacky, who know what side effect that method can have, make sure to keep a copy of your save elsewhere safe so in case you're unlucky enough to encounter crashes , you can re-use your original save.