Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Assault: A Threetoe Story  (Read 5474 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarven Assault: A Threetoe Story
« on: February 23, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Assault: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

(Bah, mention of slavery in the story, but not the conclusion...)

I have to say, I wasn't so interested in the army arc before, but now...

These stories are great, both in themselves and giving a vivid depiction of the way things might be.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:24:00 am »

The first part was like ww1 df style, I liked it.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 04:03:00 am »

'"Don't fire until you see the color of their beards," growled Malcom.'

Good lord, I adore you, TT, even if you do destroy me at chess.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »

Excellent story, as usual.  :) Gameplay-wise, the best part for me was the jars of acid and all the neat little (magic?) tricks the elves pulled. I can't wait till we get something like that in the game.

The action scenes were pretty intense, but really, the part that stood out in my mind was this:

quote:
"It was a dowry for the dwarf princess, soon to be married to the elven king."

My God, am I the only one who finds this absolutely horrific? Did the elf king lose a bet or what? I can't get rid of the mental image of Legolas and a slightly less hairy version of Gimli in a poofy pink dress he might have borrowed from Princess Peach.

Yes, I know that for a lot of Tolkien "fans" that's a great premise for an erotic fanfic or three, but still. Ugh.

No wonder the king wants that bed back so bad, he's going to need that endless joy to make it through the wedding night.

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 05:42:00 pm »

Hey, hey, beauty's relative. Besides, no one ever said what DF elves look like. They could be as ugly as Joan Rivers with her face torn off by a weed hacker right before she spent 14 continuous hours in the sun, WITH NO SUNSCREEN.

And that's pretty freakin' ugly.

he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

I always figured that Dwarves and Elves are basically the same species; one just has a bizzare beard-shaving fetish.

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »

But... how would they shave without wood, bone, or metal tools?
he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »

Flint, man. Flint.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »

Elves always make those stupid short jokes when they're talking to my dwarves so I think we can assume they're taller.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 11:42:00 pm »

They aren't taller.  Their heads are just so full of hot air that they float a little higher.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 11:53:00 pm »

One thing I noted in the story is that there is significant mention of an artifact bed that was stolen from the dwarves, but no mention in the analysis of punitive raids or theft raids that civilisations could start on their own.  It's one thing to order your kobold assassins to "steal food" from a neighbouring dwarven village, but another entirely to order your kobold assassins to "steal Akurlkala, a mahogany bed".  Kobolds and monkeys do thieving raids, and goblins do kidnapping raids, but I imagine the objects are simply discarded.  It would be much neater if the objects were transported to the enemy villages (except in the case of mandrills, where they are scattered to the winds), such that you could send troops to get them back.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 12:37:00 am »

We try not to include prior analysis elements in a new analysis, and we thought we had something like that covered elsewhere (the pirate story had something like this, though I don't know if it was in that analysis either).  It's quite probable something slipped through the cracks though.

edit:  Right now, stolen items are stored in the civilization, but aren't placed in the world again (except possibly when kobolds choose their weapons, though I don't remember if I took that out or not).  As armies get the ability to carry things, the kobolds thieves etc (which would now be an army) will bring the objects back to their caves.  That might be waiting for the caravan arc.  Clearly roaming groups will have to carry extra objects at that point.

[ February 28, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

[ March 03, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

Hunting down a lost artifact should be fun, a quest in its own right.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »

Re-reading this, I notice that they call the bed an artifact.   To me, 'artifact' is sort of out-of-character speak for something in-game, or something really old in the game.  Would it not make more sense for an object of artifact level power to be labelled as a 'marvellous' or 'mysterious' creation?  

This is a really minor thing, but I've been thinking about it and it just seems weird to me.

Pages: [1] 2