Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.169.33g Released  (Read 6974 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.169.33g Released
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

Humans and elves will come some time after they are angry enough at you.

Kobolds will start sending thieves once your pop hits 20 or you've traded a bit (value 500) or you've produced a bit more (value 5000).  If they successfully steal objects, they'll come back with more thieves, and if they continue to be successful, they'll bring (buggy) archers.  The power of the next attack is based only on how many objects were stolen during the last raid.  They'll start sending archers if three or more objects are stolen.  Assuming all the dice rolls go completely against you, and ten or more objects are stolen in the previous raid, they can send as many as 17 thieves and 36 archers, but this is incredibly unlikely.  If the stolen object number is five or more, they'll start sending important historical figures.

Goblins start sending kidnappers when your population has hit 50 or you have traded a bit or produced a bit more (5x the kobold numbers).  Once your population hits 80, they'll start to send more serious attacks instead of kidnappers on occasion.  The numbers sent during the serious attacks depend only on how many attacks you've been through.  If they have mounts or monsters, they'll start using them on the second attack, with multiple monster packs on the third.  Important historical figures also come with the third attack, but master weapon users can come on the second.  Important kidnappers come on the second kidnapping attempt.

All of this will be obsolete once I get the armies working properly on the world map, though there will still have to be some artificial mechanism in place to stop early forts from being wiped out.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

"A goblin army has passed by your <outpost>! It appears they decided you weren't worth the time and effort."
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

dratsab151

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 09:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>All of this will be obsolete once I get the armies working properly on the world map, though there will still have to be some artificial mechanism in place to stop early forts from being wiped out.</STRONG>

I'm guessing looking from the "what makes sense" point of view I'd make a small chance big assed goblin armies will attack early forts.  Just make it realistic, if someone plants his fort real close to goblin country then higher chance of it happening, if you got roads running all over your land goblins may follow them.  Smaller forts should be less noticeable and less chance to find them.

I just like the idea of the occasional dwarf fort getting pummeled just by to dumb (lack of) luck (and also planting your fort next to a goblin place).  Its fun to lose, right?  :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

Nah, the gobbos would just get angry because you moved so close but didn't bother to send them a fruitcake.

Fruitcake is very important for good neighbor relations. I bet thats why dwarves and goblins don't get along in the first place.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Once your population hits 80, they'll start to send more serious attacks instead of kidnappers on occasion</STRONG>

So I need a population of 80+ to get sieges?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Corbine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 05:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

So I need a population of 80+ to get sieges?</STRONG>

I believe so.  Once I hit 80 boozers, soon came a lovely itty bitty siege.  Which was followed by a bigger siege with more archers and a lovely fact that I forgot to floor the ceiling of my fort.  Poor humans.

hat

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

Toady, is there any way you would consider lowering the siege threshold or making it editable by the ini ?  Sieges should be a challenge to face, not a reward to unlock.  With enough traps a fort of 7 dwarves could stand a siege, why such a high threshold?

I don't care about mayors and nobles and the economy or the crippling frame rates that come along with 50+ dwarves.  I just want a few guys who I know by name trying to hold back waves of goblins, is there anything more dwarfy?

[ January 04, 2008: Message edited by: Baro ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

I'm not sure if there's a point now.  I'm doing my best to scrap the entire siege system with this arc I'm working on.  On the other hand, the core matter is still there, and there are people all over the place on the issue of whether or not you should be able to be sieged by an overwhelming when you are just starting out.  At the end of the day, I guess I'd rather let the circumstances of the world control it, but we'll see what happens.  Some people just like to play where they want without worries, and they shouldn't be forced to settle way over in the happiest area of the map.  Probably an init option.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Stregone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

What if you could spend points on a stealthy entrance to the area? So the goblin patrols don't notice you right away. And/or make the amount of above ground stuff you have make it easier for patrols to find you.

dratsab151

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stregone:
<STRONG>What if you could spend points on a stealthy entrance to the area? So the goblin patrols don't notice you right away. And/or make the amount of above ground stuff you have make it easier for patrols to find you.</STRONG>

That would be neat, though would cut into the timing of the armies concept he has for us.

Thanks Toady!

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 01:14:00 am »

In general, it makes more sense that a podunk deep underground dwarven camp would be much harder to find and attack than a giant sprawling dwarven metropolis that civilizations all over envy.
Perhaps make triggers for other civs to be aware you exist? Scouts, value, distance, exports, some funky renown statistic. It makes sense for only your parent civ to know about you right from the start; unless you are camping inside a kobold cave or something similar.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »

After reading the hobbit, I'd love the idea of secret entrances.

We actually do have the code for sight and such.  Why not have goblin thieves and scouts and such find out about the general location via caravans, and then enter the map and randomly look around.  They'd look for any signs of civilization.  Structures, mined area, stockpiles, anything.  The more signs of civilization the more likely they'd search the area more untill they find your entrance.  And of course that info must escape the map to reach their civilization's evil ears.

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Baro:
<STRONG>After reading the hobbit, I'd love the idea of secret entrances.

We actually do have the code for sight and such.  Why not have goblin thieves and scouts and such find out about the general location via caravans, and then enter the map and randomly look around.  They'd look for any signs of civilization.  Structures, mined area, stockpiles, anything.  The more signs of civilization the more likely they'd search the area more untill they find your entrance.  And of course that info must escape the map to reach their civilization's evil ears.</STRONG>

Reminds me of Evil Genius.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 05:45:00 am »

wasn't sure where else to post this, but i'm thrilled with this version.  with 33g i had recurring problems with my laptop screen going black and locking up the machine - i tried everything i could think of to fix the problem, finally resorting to playing only plugged in and removing the modded game and downloading 33g again and playing vanilla.  no help.

out of desparation i decided to try the delete/re-download again and realized that toady had released 38a, so i tried that instead.  so far i haven't had any problems whatsoever, and can play off the battery again.  yeah, toady!  i don't know what the difference is, but it works for me   :D

cause of unexplainable mischief
Pages: 1 [2]