Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Polls

Are
Dumb

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45

Author Topic: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!  (Read 53339 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!
« Reply #645 on: May 18, 2015, 09:26:15 pm »

Yeah, the AI really change what you'll build. The closest way to tell how potent your gladiator is will be through the object-testing arena. And even then the RNG can change the outcome on a whim.

You know, it might be interesting for me to give a little reward to the champions, I was thinking something along the lines of having them describe a creature they would like to see as a race in the arena and mod it in for them. Of course we'd balance it, but it would prove a good way of subverting the desire for more playable races. And allows the champion to affect the future of the arena, just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:49:40 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 18, 2015, 10:06:09 pm »

If you add custom races the balancing will be harder. I think the coolest thing would be to have some sort of hall of champions, maybe an image wallpaper sized that would get updated with a statue of every victor.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 18, 2015, 10:08:07 pm »

If you add custom races the balancing will be harder. I think the coolest thing would be to have some sort of hall of champions, maybe an image wallpaper sized that would get updated with a statue of every victor.

I hope you aren't even thinking of the chance that I can art. Have you not seen those MS paint pictures?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 18, 2015, 10:25:01 pm »

[SELECT_POSTER:UNRAVELLER]
[REMOVE_SKILL:ART]
[USE_POSTER_TEMPLATE:TOURNAMENT_ORGANIZER]

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 18, 2015, 10:30:01 pm »

Well there! See, I absolutely cannot do arting.

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:00 pm »

We could keep it simple then, a small image of a great hall of champions drawn from DF tiles. Or a banner consisting of a character string containing the character icon of each champion ?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 18, 2015, 11:38:11 pm »

Now that sounds like something I can do better, screen shot things and paste them in MS Paint, its what I've been doing this whole time after all.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #652 on: May 22, 2015, 08:07:39 am »

Is it too late for me to sign up for this?
Regards,
Dampe

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 22, 2015, 09:16:03 am »

Is it too late for me to sign up for this?

Well, yeah. Considering it already ended. However I am planning to hold a tournament every month, so watch out for it on the 14th of June. Hope I see you there!

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 22, 2015, 11:40:19 am »

Okay, do I have to wait for June to roll around to submit a character?
Regards,
Dampe

_italics_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 22, 2015, 12:53:03 pm »

I think you can make your gladiator whenever you want, but I don't think the tournament rules have been set in stone yet. At least, I believe the next one might be semi-secret, where you only show your name and race.

Unraveller: I have figured out how to change the names of the gladiators in the arena. This makes the logs way better than "Serpent Man 1 bites Serpent Man 2". Will post it when I'm totally happy with it.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 22, 2015, 04:15:12 pm »

Oh, yeah, you can do that with customize in the status window.
Regards,
Dampe

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 22, 2015, 05:19:38 pm »

You can actually do that! I had mo clur. What is the exact process?

Dampe, you can create your gladiator but like mister italics said, things aren't in stone.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 23, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »

OK, I've genned a world and am in the process of setting up a super squirrel secret location for the possible recruited champions to get to.  Along the way, they'll be able to amp up their skills and attain a list of kills and whatnot to wow the crowds at the Arena.  I imagine that if a PC "manager" continues recruiting heroes and truckin them along to the Secret Arena Entrance (retiring them there), then they could build up a whole stable of gladiators to compete against each other.  Best part about this is that multiple copies of the World save file could be played at the same time by multiple Players, so that we wouldn't have to wait for one person to pass it along - The gladiators would be the best of the best from multiple parallel worlds, who step through a dimensional Portal to represent their world Mortal Kombat style...

Of course, the entrance fee for each hero should be an artifact from their world - the hero would have to be carrying it when they entered the Portal, and that would be the prize of the other hero that bested them, (something that still-living heroes could enjoy, until the final winners were living like kings with artifacts surrounding them...)

Just imagine that each manager is one of those "outsiders" that suddenly appear in a world with no history or knowledge of the world around them - it would explain things pretty well if they were like that because they were inter-dimensional recruiters for a multi-dimension hero's challenge...

edit:  Each artifact would have to be unique, if one was already used in one world, it would stop being accepted in all the others.  The finite nature or artifacts in the world would make the number of heroes able to qualify finite as well.  (Unless a hero was able to bring a named weapon or something.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:54:48 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

_italics_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 23, 2015, 05:03:17 pm »

Oh, yeah, you can do that with customize in the status window.

That doesn't help, unfortunately.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45