Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with the different types of edged attacks  (Read 1048 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Help with the different types of edged attacks
« on: May 14, 2015, 10:12:53 pm »

I'm trying to make some special weapons for all the vanilla civs, and for humans I was thinking a spear-like weapon with some sword like slashing attacks. However, there's two problems, I don't really know what attributes make piercing attacks more effective, and I'm not entirely sure on where the boundary between an attack being piercing and an attack being slashing is. Help would be appreciated. I guess I might also considering releasing this as a mod once I finish all these, though I personally don't feel enough work was put into it to warrant a mod, I guess I probably should.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the different types of edged attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:40:37 pm »

The orc fortress version of such a thing is:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR_TOOTHED]
[NAME:toothed spear:toothed spears]
[SIZE:600]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:20000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:bladed edge:2250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:30000:2000:rake:rakes:toothed edge:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:5000:stab:stabs:point:1000] normal spear stab is 20:10000:1000
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:10000:impale:impales:point:2000] MWDF spear impale is 10:12000:2000
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:strike:strikes:shaft:1000]

This is a DF2012 weapon, obviously it needs prepare & recovers.  My suggestion is to give "impale" a slower speed than the others (ed:  assuming this is possible).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:48:40 pm by smakemupagus »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:12:01 am »

I don't really know what attributes make piercing attacks more effective, and I'm not entirely sure on where the boundary between an attack being piercing and an attack being slashing is.

There really isn't a boundary. Edged attacks are edged attacks, the combat report names are purely relative. My old notes say that if the weapon's contact area is less than 25% of the bodypart's calculated size, it tears flesh and "chips" (breaks) bone. If the contact area reaches all the way over the bodypart, it tears apart the meat, shatters the bones and can chop the limb off entirely, if the hit is deep (penetration depth also reaches all the way through) and strong enough.

Upping the weapon's size means more mass and more energy behind the swing. Small contact areas make the hits hurt harder, but might not be able to sever the limb at all. Vast contact areas lop off smaller limbs with ease, but might only make a shallow 20-inch skin gash across the torso. If you just want the attack to hit harder, full stop, physics be damned, increase the velocity multiplier at the end.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:40:35 pm »

Alright, I think I have some satisfactory numbers. I'll still have to test the weapons though. I'd also like to ask if anybody has had any experience attempting to make combination blunt and edged weapons where you're actually supposed to use the blunt attack. I know blunt attacks are 100 times less likely to be chosen than edged attacks, so I was thinking just copy the same blunt attack 100 times, and if there's a better way I'd like to hear it. I guess it'll end up really messy in adventurer mode so there's probably no good way to handle this.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 06:02:20 pm »

Simple: edged attacks with extremely low penetration. Cuts the skin, crushes what's beneath.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:09:50 pm »

Simple: edged attacks with extremely low penetration. Cuts the skin, crushes what's beneath.
I didn't really expect that to work, but strangely it does. It causes messages about tearing the skin, and seems to be a bit better when made out of adamantine than intended (though that could also be due to it being twice as heavy as a war hammer), but it seems to work.