Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Ymir - City Builder/Civilization 4X/Pigmen  (Read 10256 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Ymir - City Builder/Civilization 4X/Pigmen
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 02:56:13 pm »

Man I was all geared up to just dismiss this but you guys are making it sound fun.

I mean its def got some rough edges, but the mechanics are v nice (and its rather open ended).
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 06:37:29 pm »

Thats cool as heck actually. Ymir was that kingdom on the Eastern seaboard of the original continent in the North yea?

Also i've been playing a TON, I'd like to double down on my recommendation--the game opens up even further when you unlock the "economy", and multiple sites add an extra layer o strategy.

Also any interest in cooperative/just plain MP game @Zangi?
I'll give it a good ol college try.  But I can't host cause I never figured out how to get port forwarding working.  Or it just doesn't work if I do it local, who knows.
EDIT: Reckon you could add me on steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zangi ?  That how it works?  I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:39:53 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 10:11:07 pm »

Oh no, I am also terrible at port forwarding! I'll add you on Steam and we can attempt to figure it out lol.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2019, 01:11:21 pm »

I've unlocked copper age in my solo game.  It is about the time things start to really open up.  Then the AI throws 300 barbarian eagle warriors at me. 

I was not prepared, was some wanker that spawned in an already explored spot and I was in the middle of setting up a second city, which was gonna be my new capital city anyways, so I panic abandoned my old capital and moved to the new place.  Subjugated the savage spawn point, but still have 300 barbarians sitting over the old capital.  Their time will come eventually.

I really like this economic system and how it actually works.  I've unlocked currency, on top of bartering.  Prices are dynamic and based on supply and demand.  Some people can get rich.  Some people are perpetually underclass scrubs, thanks to me.

Oh no, I am also terrible at port forwarding! I'll add you on Steam and we can attempt to figure it out lol.
I havn't actually tested if some stranger could actually join my game or not.  I just know I can't join my own game, unless I 'join it' by launching the server.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:13:43 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2019, 02:28:29 pm »

in MP, I think barbarians are less devastating, but in SP I made it my priority to wipe out the Barbarians around me ASAP, I was surrounded by five Barb tribes, but slowly took em down.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2019, 02:48:25 pm »

In MP, barbarians probably only attack the closest neighbors.  They are effected by zone of control. 

...  If anyone wants to see if my port forwarding things works correctly or not, I have a game that I've been running for the past 2.5 days nearly non-stop...

I can't rejoin my own game without restarting the server.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 03:08:39 pm »

I was able to connect no problem.  Dropped in the middle of a desert, time to see if I can make that work.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2019, 03:35:21 pm »

Seems the game is worth getting after all. The video I linked, it looked a bit wonky. He didn't get very far though and was still kinda in the basics of it even after a lot of time playing. But from recent posts here, it sounds rather decent. Though I won't have money to buy it till May, since this month I'm poor and next month visiting my friend. That gives time for some updates at least and bug fixes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2019, 03:36:28 pm »

Oh nice, it works.  I can host things!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2019, 03:55:06 pm »

Oh nice, it works.  I can host things!

But can you join your own game lol?

EDIT: I also joined the game!

EDIT2: I am also in a desert (with sick fertility)

EDIT3: I'm actually just North of Shooer and Haisha
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:22:05 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2019, 04:35:28 pm »

what happens when one joins late? how much of a disadvantage is it?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2019, 05:08:45 pm »

Tech can be given.  Also the early knowledges don't take much time at all.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2019, 05:42:53 pm »

what happens when one joins late? how much of a disadvantage is it?
Tech can be given.  Also the early knowledges don't take much time at all.

ALSO barbarians can wipe anyone with the wrong set of variables. Also in the public MP games, people are constantly coming and going which to my understanding leaves a lot of partially developed territory open.

You can even join as a colony--i.e. an advanced start but you are already part of a player group.

EDIT: we are playing real time which is pretty quick (not ultra fast still), persistent is much more akin to LoL or one of those type games, which only requires a little bit of management a day.* thats why I bring up colony starts.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:49:09 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2019, 06:57:22 pm »

Colony start is basically a built-by-player city, specifically made for new players joining the server.  It'd probably take us some time to work on those for anyone interested.

EDIT: On a positive note, figured out how to quit alliances.

EDIT2: Huh, apparently barbarians raised up overnight, they took out one of our players.  Errr, I'll wipe it and turn it into a colony I guess.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:01:56 am by Zangi »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2019, 11:57:35 am »

Count me as another who was initially ready to dismiss this and was then intrigued by the comments. Starting up the game the first time it wanted me to start the tutorial, but I clicked on settings first. (That's the sort of person I am.) Turns out clicking on settings first makes the tutorial vanish, and I can't get it to come back.

Did I miss anything terribly important in that? I'm still getting starting tips/quests in my first solo game. Bit annoyed there's no pause in solo, best I can tell.

Also sounds (a la DF) I should be prepared to lose my first game? After figuring out how this all works, I may be interested in joining what is sounding like the unofficial DF instance. If that's okay with you all, of course.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5