Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39

Author Topic: GemSet v1.41 [42.04]  (Read 336344 times)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
Re: (24x24 / 48x48) GemSet v1.1 [40.24]
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2015, 04:10:05 pm »

Wow. Graphical DF modding sure has changed in the past year...

I've updated the main download with LNP support. The file hierarchy should be correct now, with separate 24px and 48px versions in their own folder. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, though. It'd put my mind at ease if someone could tell me if this works.

So yeah, for this purpose it's basically a super-complicated script to install a graphics pack - but that also means that you can distribute Gemset in a preconfigured format that works with TwbT and so on.  Folder structure:

Thank you for patiently explaining this to me. I'm a bit of a knucklehead when it comes to the technical bits of modding.

Some screenies with the 1.1 version, a nice mix of races and gore and multilevel maxed out on a high zoom:

Thanks again! I think I'll be using that biggest screenshot.

Hope these help. :)

No, they don't. They're silly suggestions. :P
Oh... ok.   :-\

Could you design a dancing dog then? That is not silly at all and makes perfect sense.

I'm just pullin' your leg, mate. ;)

If you check the update above that, you can see I took all of your feedback into account. Even the "undead have turned" thing. That's a good idea, because otherwise people with Protanopia and Achromatopsia would have a hard time telling the normal and animated creatures apart.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2015, 04:51:09 pm »

And creatures covered in vomit would have a similar green tint and people might mistake them for zombies...

(I know sarcasm if I see it)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Opaex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2015, 05:02:57 pm »

i tried it. works great. thank you!!

i was lost trying to do it myself.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2015, 05:48:56 pm »

I've updated the main download with LNP support. The file hierarchy should be correct now, with separate 24px and 48px versions in their own folder. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, though. It'd put my mind at ease if someone could tell me if this works.

Yep, I've checked both and they're perfect.  You even got data/init/colors.txt, which I forgot to mention  :-[
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »

Wonderful! And with that out of the way, I'll now be focusing on TWBT support.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2015, 06:00:16 pm »

Wonderful! And with that out of the way, I'll now be focusing on TWBT support.

Yesss....

You can check out Fricy's Spacefox for an example, though it doesn't start override filenames with an underscore.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 09:06:07 pm »

If you need any help with twbt, feel free to send me a PM.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2015, 10:20:47 pm »

And so it begins...

(Not a mockup)

If you need any help with twbt, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks, Meph! After a few hours, I've gotten the basics of DFHack and TWBT down. I don't understand what half these tiletypes are supposed to be, though, so expect to get a lot of questions concerning that. ^^;

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2015, 10:32:46 pm »

(Not a mockup)

WOW, what a great improvement on the tree.  At that perspective and resolution it almost doesn't feel like a tileset anymore.  Welcome to isometric dwarf fortress. :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:37:26 pm by Clatch »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2015, 10:37:10 pm »

Just a personal opinion: I'm a much bigger fan of solid-colored floor/grass (like phoebus/obsidian use) than icons with black background (like the original ascii tileset use).

Dont know if I can help with the tiletypes much, the list is as arcane to me as to most other people.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2015, 10:45:52 pm »

Just a personal opinion: I'm a much bigger fan of solid-colored floor/grass (like phoebus/obsidian use) than icons with black background (like the original ascii tileset use).

The problem with solid colors though is reconciling the background colors on all the different tiles and areas.  That's what amazed me so much about HaterSkater's tileset is how he managed to meld a mix of background solids with the rest of the color scheme.  There are hardly any noticeable seams in that tileset that aren't part of the theme -- even the legend maps look polished.  PigtailLlama's crazy 8x8 were like that too.  Eventually I always seem to go back to more traditional style graphics because they just seem easier on the eyes.

I imagine one day though, especially with TWBT, the tilesets  will hardly be noticeable.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:56:40 pm by Clatch »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2015, 11:19:09 pm »

Yes, I very much know what you mean... getting tree-stumps with a bit of grass just right so it fits with the rest of the grass, items getting the floor-background to merge with floors. That was so much work in the set I made once. Wish there could be a transparency option, displaying the item tile/sprite over the background tile.  :-\

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2015, 11:22:33 pm »

Yeah...The thing about Dwarf Fortress is that like many older games, it can only support a single tile layer. If you try filling in a tile with a background color, it will emphasize the borders between tiles and create attribute clash. So to work around this, many older games would keep black as the dominant color of the screen. On the left is Exolon, which embraced these limitations and sacrificed detail to avoid attribute clash. On the right is International Karate, which fought the limitations and looks very dated as a result.

It's games like Exolon that inspired GemSet, and I'd like to use many of the same tricks to get that old-school aesthetic.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:27:15 pm by DragonDePlatino »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2015, 08:17:26 pm »

I'm intrigued by the black background approach, having only played with solid color tilesets so far.  Can't wait to see where this goes.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2015, 08:58:21 pm »

Solid color tilesets always look really ugly to me. Partially because it makes the whole map look like a dumb patchwork and partially because black is actually a proper background color and having the background of the tiles not be black sorta ignores that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39