Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39

Author Topic: GemSet v1.41 [42.04]  (Read 334904 times)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
Re: GemSet v1.0 [0.40.24]
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 12:50:34 am »

This has a bunch of override examples and such down at the bottom with the formats for them: https://github.com/mifki/df-twbt

Well, I was aware of that page before I asked my questions, and it didn't really clear anything up. It explains how the basic overrides work, but none of the specific questions I asked.

EDIT:

For the next page, this is what I'm talking about.

1. Where would I find the subtypes for overrides?
2. Is the ID for defining a [TILESET:] optional? If you don't define it, does the game just slot your tileset into the next number? In your case, 2?
3. Is there any way to quickly test in-game if you have overwritten everything properly?
4. Can you link me an example of overriding a building as one giant image?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:53:22 am by DragonDePlatino »

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 01:15:00 am »

I'm really excited to be delving into TWBT! Aside from the technical bits, it looks like it would be fairly easy. I actually drew a mockup earlier to see how the overrides might look:

That mockup looks amazing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 02:57:09 am »

1. Where would I find the subtypes for overrides?
2. Is the ID for defining a [TILESET:] optional? If you don't define it, does the game just slot your tileset into the next number? In your case, 2?
3. Is there any way to quickly test in-game if you have overwritten everything properly?
4. Can you link me an example of overriding a building as one giant image?

1. You download the Twbt plugin, it includes two files that contain all types/subtype IDs.
2. It's numerical, counting upwards if I'm not wrong. But you can give it any name you want. You can try downloading Masterwork 6.2 (for 34.11) and check out the override file for an example with multiple tilesets.
3. By generating the item/building the workshop? I usually spawned stuff with the "createitem" dfhack script.
4. Yep, see below.

PS: Here an example for custom buildings. This only works with the ones you have access to in the raws. No idea if Mifki has done anything in the meantime to support vanilla workshops that are hardcoded: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.msg5530509#msg5530509

I also wrote a how-to/manual for using Twbt: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.msg5411475#msg5411475

Edit: One thing is outdated: "You open data/init and set PRINTMODE to STANDARD" should now be PRINTMODE:TWBT :)

Edit2: Can I make a graphics request? Decorational buildings/items like carpets, mirrors, clocks, statues, potted flowers, etc? Because I had something planned for this...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:59:36 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 03:20:34 am »

I meant the subtypes are those down at the bottom, sorry, the tiletypes stuff, building stuff, item types and so forth unless I'm missing which subtype of override you mean. Also you made the dorf kids horrifyingly cute, didn't catch that change from 0.99 to 1.0.

Oh yeah, not sure if it was deliberate or even controllable readily, but I noticed an odd quirk which you can see here:

The hunter dorf closest to me is actually the queen, she was a hunter, says so and such, but I'm not sure why her tile didn't change to the royalty one.

Oh, I was running around with the non-adventurer tiles btw, because I love the viking helmets.

The drunk tile is great too, especially when you get weird situations like this:

Ain't no party like a necro party cause a necro party don't stop until you stick an axe in their heads.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 03:27:34 am »

Noble sprites should always overwrite profession sprites, so if the hunter-queen shows up as hunter, than the text file in raw/graphics is wrong.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 03:33:05 am »

Nice work!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 04:00:15 am »

It was the right tile, 1:11, she just prefers to run around as a hunter I guess?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 04:12:03 am »

Also, many creature graphics were drawn rather hastily. Feedback on designs would be appreciated.
Horses have a pack on their back, which makes sense for traders arriving with them as pack animals, but not for horses pulling carts, horses you buy or wild horses.

Same for donkeys.

Bows at the bow-dwarves should face the other way (?)

Elves have grey/cyan armors/weapons. That's fine for dwarves, because they use metal and later on adamantine, so the colors fit. Elves on the other hand attack with wooden armor and weapons. The colors should be brown, with a bit of green to it (?)

Alll your characters look to the left. Maybe mirror the animated/undead sprite to make them look the other way... because they have turned. Get it? Dont kill me.

Elite goblin soldiers also have the cyan color. Maybe a different one, red (aggressive?).

Same for humans, they also have the cyan color, but no access to adamantine. Traditionally human officers/high ranking soldiers were noblemen, so maybe purple instead? Or keep the grey (metal) armor and add a purple coat/feather to them?

Kobolds cyan colored elite soldiers too, I'd use a different way to distinguish them. I personally find them a bit too dark and aggressive looking. I'd imagine them cuter, large eyes, without the aggressive eyebrows. They also seem to have albino-soldiers (?)

The hippo coloration seems a bit off and reminds me more of a cow.

The deer looks a bit off. The ears are very large in comparison to the antlers. The antlers also look like elk antlers, and the fur does not have spots. Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but it looks somewhat like a dog with antlers.

The alligator is brown... RL they are more dark-olive/green. (or it's my screen, but it looks like the same color as the buzzard next to it. Curiously enough, the DF alligators have GRAY scales in the raws. O.o

The cheetah is missing the very unique eye-markings that RL cheetahs have. The black-tear like marking. The orange shading/fur on the neck also makes it look like it has a mane, like a lion.

The saltwater croc is blue?! I assume that's on purpose to show it's connected to ocean/saltwater? RL it's again olive/greenish on top, with beige stomach scales.

You seem to have made creature sprites for vermin too. They are currently unuseable, because vermins use TILE_NUMBER ingame. I hope that Twbt will enable you to overrite these, but I think mifki would have to add some more functionality to Twbt for that. This sadly counts for most of the fish too. (creature files small ocean and small riverlake mostly)

Goblins have RED eyes. They even glow red in the dark in Adv Mode.

The rat man (subterranean creature file) has grey fur in the face, brown fur on the rest of the body. I assume that was a copy/past mistake?

The Giant cave spiders are BROWN, not white like you made them. I do like that you made many cave animals white (lacking menalin/albino), but the spiders are not one of them.

Hope these help. :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:14:43 am by Meph »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 05:06:19 am »

I have no idea why certain royal positions aren't working right, anyone else seen queen/king/champion loaded up properly? I've found generals, captain of the guard, militia commander, broker, baron/ness/consort, manager, mayor, bookkeeper, all of the various noble positions you tend to find in world-gen forts with the right tiles but not king/queen/champion, and for some reason the 1.0 graphics sheet makes all kids show up with the baby tile.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 06:04:13 am »

The ID has to fit the ID used in the entity file. These can be anything you want, so QUEEN_OF_THE_ANDALS would work too, if both entries use it. Maybe the graphic files you made/downloaded dont fit the object files you have in your DF version.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 06:17:34 am »

This is amazing!  They look wonderful!  I assume you're OK with me adding Gemset to the Starter Pack?

Suggestions: 
Date format should follow ISO 8601, to avoid international ambiguity.  eg today is  "2015-05-16".

Any TwbT overrides etc.  that are not valid tilesets should have filenames beginning with an underscore - that prevents PyLNP installing them as such and breaking the game.  (@Meph:  I'm renaming yours for a future pack; I'll kick the image and override files back when I'm done if you want)

PyLNP also has a manifest file format for graphics packs - it would be awesome if you picked it up!  Details here.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 06:37:40 am »

Sure thing PeridexisErrant, just let me know if any of the syntax changes. I'm still very surprised that not more people have done anything with the Twbt Overrides. My set is still the only one, yes?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2015, 07:42:52 am »

Sure thing PeridexisErrant, just let me know if any of the syntax changes. I'm still very surprised that not more people have done anything with the Twbt Overrides. My set is still the only one, yes?

LeoClean extended the overrides for Spacefox, but otherwise yes.  Then again, who of the graphics people is active?  Ironhand, Mayday, and Phoebus have basically moved on and came back briefly for DF40.01, Obsidian has suspended updates, Spacefox is mostly being updated by other people... Essentially it's just Fricy updating the raws, and that's it!  Plus Gemset now, which is pretty exciting :D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2015, 10:11:32 am »

Tilesets seem to pop up often enough. And I'm not even a graphics person, I just hacked together stuff as best as I could. Maybe it would be a good idea to scour graphic-related forums for people that like DF, and not the DF-forum for people that might to graphics. :D

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 10:52:55 am »

This is adorable  :) Will probably use this in future.
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39