Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39

Author Topic: GemSet v1.41 [42.04]  (Read 334565 times)

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GemSet v1.41 [42.04]
« Reply #540 on: February 05, 2018, 05:41:41 pm »

Hey I noticed you didn't incorporate any of the fixes I made into your repo? Is there a reason why? I've also got a sprite sheet for giant animals and animal men I'd like to submit if you'd want to add them.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 06, 2018, 08:48:09 am »

Sorry about that. I think I became the de facto manager of this graphics pack about a year ago, but I'm not sure if I realized it until a couple months ago. New sprite sheets would be great!

It looks like you are talking about these fixes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm on my phone right now, but I'll look at it in a few hours.

Edit:

It's added to the repo. At first I thought I was supposed to add your new amphibians sprites to the existing, but now I realize that you probably left Toads off because they're vermin and can't use creature graphics. Maybe all the graphics that aren't actually used should have their sprites removed from being installed by default. (But still keep working versions of them in another folder in case Toady ever makes Toads not vermin or ever makes cats trainable or whatever.)

While optimizing the pack this would also be a good opportunity to reorganize it if that's cool with everyone. With the current format, it's a pain to add new creatures when new creatures get added to an objects files. In a more Quiet-Sun style format, new creatures can be added without shifting the whole tilesheet around.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:43:48 pm by jecowa »

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 07, 2018, 08:58:00 pm »

Yeah essentially there are a couple of images swapped in the sprite sheet I fixed and I made a couple of new sheets that I believe encompass all the new giant animals and stuff that were added in 42.04, as well as some matching override files. I've got another sheet and overrides mocked up for the animal men added in 42.04, but the only new sprite I made for that was elephant man so far, everything else I added an identifying icon to in the sprite-sheet. I made these because I like giant animals and animal men in my games but gemset didn't have anything for them. I figured if I put the effort in others might as well benefit.

Did you happen to fix the smooth floor issues yet? I've got it fixed in my files but I did it by making a completely different floor tile that I like better. If you don't have it fixed I can see about what needs to be done about making it work for the original tile.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 07, 2018, 11:34:02 pm »

Did you happen to fix the smooth floor issues yet? I've got it fixed in my files but I did it by making a completely different floor tile that I like better. If you don't have it fixed I can see about what needs to be done about making it work for the original tile.
I'm not sure what smooth floor issue you are talking about. YetAnotherLurker did something to the twbt overrides make the smooth walls and floors not always be grey, if that's what you mean.

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 09, 2018, 12:15:54 pm »

There was an issue with how transparencies were set so floor tiles couldn't display information properly. Specifically, vision cones in adventure mode were broken among other things.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 10, 2018, 11:41:07 am »

I'm kind of curious about the transparency issue with the cone of vision. I'm not very familiar with adventure mode. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the files.

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 10, 2018, 11:15:09 pm »

I'll post some screenshots and an updated file when I have time. I also found a couple of things left out of lurker's overrides that I can change (his changes only applied to constructed walls, natural stone walls aren't changing color based on material still)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:10:16 pm by LCastillo »

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 16, 2018, 10:28:41 pm »

Here is a comparison picture. Walls and floors were behaving very strangely when smoothed, erasing most of the details. I fixed the alpha channel so they don't erase the details while still being recognizable as engraved. I uploaded the changes to the overrides picture and init to my google drive link.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:40:49 pm by LCastillo »

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 16, 2018, 12:21:02 pm »

Regarding engravings, I almost never engrave my walls or floors, so that slipped by me. I don't think I changed anything aside from the color settings on constructed walls/floors, but it's certainly possible that I made a mistake somewhere while saving changes to tiles. I don't really know much about graphics editing, just kind of bumbling along until it looks right, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if I screwed up transparency settings somehow.

Anyway, please do bring up anything you notice that's broken, and share anything you've done that looks good. A while back I was planning to throw something together for the other new professions, but real life got in the way and I never really got around to it. Ideas very definitely welcome for both color palette and design suggestions. I was thinking something along the lines of holding a largish book with a cover related to the subject for scholars, but that's as far as I got.

Express

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 19, 2018, 12:16:22 am »

Given that the init file in this GemSet folder does not match the updated version of 44.07 in that the new one has additional options how would one know which files to copy over and which not to? Any updated installation guide for outdated graphics mods?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 19, 2018, 12:51:22 am »

Thanks for the notice. You can get an updated copy of GemSet from the repo on GitHub. https://github.com/DFgraphics/GemSet/releases

Express

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 19, 2018, 01:12:47 am »

Thanks for the notice. You can get an updated copy of GemSet from the repo on GitHub. https://github.com/DFgraphics/GemSet/releases
oh wow I didn't know there was a github for it. why isn't the thread updated?

Express

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 19, 2018, 01:18:57 am »

oh wow I didn't know there was a github for it. why isn't the thread updated?
broader question. Why are none of the packs here updated? I just noticed most graphics packs are up to date on github but not on this forum.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 19, 2018, 03:20:24 am »

I think most artists like to move on to new projects and do new things. It's like you're embarking on a world Dwarf Fortress and your fortress is struggling at first, but you then you get everything worked out, and your fortress grows. Eventually you either start running out of things to do or you have too much to do, but don't really want to mess with it and you have a hundred dwarves in the fortress and the gameplay starts coming to a crawl and maybe that's a good time to retire the fortress and take a break from the game. And maybe eventually come back to start a new save or maybe play another game for a while.

Lots of older packs are maintained by the community, like Ironhand, Obsidian, Mayday, Phoebus, and Spacefox. There probably aren't links to the maintained versions in the original posts because no one has asked the original authors to put them up. Some of the authors still pop into the forums every-so-often.

Express

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 19, 2018, 05:15:23 pm »

I think most artists like to move on to new projects and do new things. It's like you're embarking on a world Dwarf Fortress and your fortress is struggling at first, but you then you get everything worked out, and your fortress grows. Eventually you either start running out of things to do or you have too much to do, but don't really want to mess with it and you have a hundred dwarves in the fortress and the gameplay starts coming to a crawl and maybe that's a good time to retire the fortress and take a break from the game. And maybe eventually come back to start a new save or maybe play another game for a while.

Lots of older packs are maintained by the community, like Ironhand, Obsidian, Mayday, Phoebus, and Spacefox. There probably aren't links to the maintained versions in the original posts because no one has asked the original authors to put them up. Some of the authors still pop into the forums every-so-often.

oh so the people maintaining them are not the same as those who are the original post author. makes sense why everything here is outdated then.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39