Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Humble Classic Tileset v 1.0  (Read 23481 times)

Cyprinodon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Humble Classic Tileset v 1.0
« on: May 15, 2015, 02:37:25 pm »

Hello ! Nice to meet you all !

Here is my Humble work :

A square 20x20 ASCII Tileset that aims to enhance the original visual feel of the game in his own way.
It is designed to be clean and readable on large monitors.

For now, only classic version is available with an optionnal color scheme but three other versions are currently planned to be released.

If you have some positive criticisms, suggestions or complaints I would be glad to hear them out.
They can without a doubt benefit this tileset.

Planned features
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Installation Instructions
Screenshots
Download Links

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Classic Tileset v 1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:08:18 pm »

Very interesting, and nice colors

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:13:07 pm »

oooh smooth. I like it.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:04:16 pm »

The colours are very easy on the eyes. I am definitely going to use this!
I've lost control of my life.

Cyprinodon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 04:16:00 am »

Thank you ! I'm glad you like it !

I'm actually working on another color scheme: a blue themed one.
I made some light changes to the actual fantasy color scheme to make some of the colors blend a little more with each other .
I will post the changes soon.

oriramikad

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McUrist cancels job: Waiting for new laptop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:42:59 am »

Wow, that looks great! I'll bite. The color scheme reminds me of something, but I can't place it . . .

EDIT: I've been playing exclusively with this tileset for the last two days, and it looks AMAZING! \@o@/ Really readable and cohesive. New favorite tileset.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:30:22 pm by oriramikad »

oriramikad

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McUrist cancels job: Waiting for new laptop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:49:12 pm »

Any more updates coming?

Cyprinodon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:07:02 am »

Any more updates coming?

Yep ! The next iteration is pretty much done. I'm fiddling with it to deliver it as good as I possibly can.

Evaristo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 01:44:51 pm »

I know this hasn't been posted to in forever, but I just want to express as a lurker how much I absolutely love this tileset. I've been using it for years now and applying it to every update. Although I personally stick to DF's default color palette with it, it's hard for me to go back to the old Curses tileset because the smoothness of the font accompanied by the cute little bearded and helmeted Dwarves which are easily distinguished between civilian and military, not to mention still color-coded is just perfect for me. ASCII has always been my preference over graphics in DF, but I was never averse to visual improvements. Personally, this is my enhanced edition of DF and when I am able to lend my support to the Steam version it's going to be all I can hope for an easy way to put these tiles in that version too.

I don't know if the creator is still out there, but just know that I still appreciate the work you put into this simple little set, because it has since defined how I view DF. Thanks again!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 04:42:44 pm »

This tileset has been inactive for a very long while, but. It nicely compliments other alternative tile sets so i can appropriately theme my modifications overall feeling of aesthetic tone, thanks for digging it up -but 2015 was a very, very long time ago, with the OP ceasing up any kind of activity in the coming years.

Posting to watch i guess.

I wouldn't apply the init directly because the notice Toady has provided on all inits is good advice, more stuff was added in 47. after all that has changed the experience of loading in old modifcations. All you really need to do is move the assets, colors and type in the relevant fields to activate it on the init you already have.

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 12:00:27 am »

Kind of sad that I missed the hey-days of this one, it looks great and the 20x20 is a good size for the tiles.  They are very smooth, and even though I wouldn't necessarily use the washed out color palette, I still like it.

Cyprinodon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 07:27:22 am »

Hi,

I was browsing the Tileset forum index, taking note of recent changes and was very surprised to see my old work on the first pages. I didn't know there was such interest in this little work of mine, even to this day.

As you guessed, yes, this tileset is abandonned. Mostly because I'm unable to follow my projects in the long term. I'm always struggling to keep up with all those new ideas that pops up on very diverse subjects, and become easily distracted by them. This tileset was, at the time, an attempt to prove to myself that I was able to do something and more importantly share it with strangers, as I'm usually too shy to share my work and display my weaknesses. It appears I can do things that can please others and I am very happy to know it.

Thanks to all of you for your interest in this Humble Tileset all these years and I can only hope I will gather up the courage to propose something else to you in the future (hopefully, NOT in ten years :)).

comfyBruh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 02:44:26 am »

Hey there just wondering if there was any way to find the files again for the latest version and if there was any compatibility issues with version 50+. Hope you are doing well. This is my favorite color scheme and tileset.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 03:16:55 pm »

The download on the first post still works, and the install instructions are the same, but classic 50.04 doesn't work with square tilesets.

Click to enlarge

Edit: OK, all you have to do is also change BASIC_FONT in init.txt, in addition to FONT & FULLFONT

So, all 3 of these lines in data/init/init.txt
Code: [Select]
[FONT:Humble_classic_20x20.png]
[FULLFONT:Humble_classic_20x20.png]
[BASIC_FONT:Humble_classic_20x20.png]

Note, the buttons along the bottom are some times not clickable, it works for me when fullscreen and maximized, but not at the default window size.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 06:34:16 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.