Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detailed, Realistic Ecosystems and Animal Populations  (Read 1987 times)

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
Detailed, Realistic Ecosystems and Animal Populations
« on: May 15, 2015, 06:17:16 pm »

As the title says.

First - population selection changes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second - animals actually doing things

Third- dynamic animal populations

Fourth - better aquatic communities

This isn't done, not by any means. It's just the beginnings of an idea.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Detailed, Realistic Ecosystems and Animal Populations
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:46:59 pm »

Sounds pretty good.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:24:56 am »

+1 to all of this. Now I can see Elephants hunting Carp and the like or vice versa.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:14:13 am »

A lot of this is planned.  Toady certainly doesn't intend for non-grass-eating animals to go without food forever. 

Also, you might be interested in the Improved Farming Revised thread, as that also covers concepts like closed ecosystems and aquatic life, as well.

Beyond that, I have to question on what you base your assertion that whether or not there are natural predators changes whether or not those creatures are scared of dwarves?  As I understand it, what changes whether a creature is scared of humans or not is whether or not they have experience with humans.  Dodos weren't scared of humans even though there were other creatures that may have preyed upon them.  Meanwhile, Africa, which was where human life evolved, has few native species that are domesticable and are generally more hostile and dangerous towards humans than species of other continents specifically because they had plenty of time to get used to humans.  (The arrival of humans into an ecosystem for the first time is generally met with the extinction of most of its megafauna...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 03:01:39 pm »

Well, that's good to hear.

Yes! I've read parts of it. I don't have the attention span needed to read through the entire thing...

And that's true.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 04:43:09 pm »

i think demanding a full on eco system for the game might be a tad too much to ask for now.

its a freaking complex as fuck system and simplifying it too much might break the whole thing :I

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:16:05 pm »

+1 to this,

We need more detailed and realistic caos, I want to worry about the fragile balance in the wild community.
And yes, the waters are empty.

I guess this will be in the game in about 8 y (In terms of Dwarf time, in 8y fps just kill me)
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 06:52:07 pm »

Yes! I've read parts of it. I don't have the attention span needed to read through the entire thing...

Well, it's not something to read in one sitting (certainly took me months to write it...) but there's only about three sections most relevant to your interests - livestock, pests and wildlife, and food webs.  Maybe also animal housing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare