Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.176.38a Released  (Read 9333 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.176.38a Released
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>The trap issue is a bug which somehow came about from the map feature creatures being able to dodge traps, though I haven't looked at it yet so I have no idea why it broke so thoroughly.</STRONG>

I have to say, I really enjoy the new challenge.  Having a hydra chase the human diplomat into my line of traps was the highlight of my last session.  It breaks old forts, is the only issue.  And I do remember as a newbie thinking that traps just affected anyone that wasn't part of the fortress, and therefore having untrapped passages to the depot.

dratsab151

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 03:05:00 am »

just have your depot outside of the main part of the fort/trap city, if merchants come while goblins come, then rush inside and let the merchants get whacked.

Also have two routes, both of which you can block, one route goes through trap-infestation and the other clean and clear.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 03:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dratsab151:
<STRONG>Also have two routes, both of which you can block, one route goes through trap-infestation and the other clean and clear.</STRONG>

And make sure the diplomat doesn't run screeching from the hydra and into your traps.

Really the only problem is that caged friendlies go insane and can't be released.  But my sheriff (the widow who still claims her husband owns the apartment) really likes having a caged dwarf in her bedroom.

gimlisonofgloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 06:04:00 am »

Biggest problem is that Liasons and Merchant Princes take tours of the fort...

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

First: nice update!
Im really glad that Ill never have to watch my 7 startingdwarves diing due to starvation running around chasing rats while the first immigrationwave produces so much food bursting the foodstockpile    :D

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »

I think it is weird that dwarves have no social skills at all until they come to your fortress.  Do dwarves from other fortresses just lock themselves in their rooms and never speak to anyone.  Or maybe that's why they are emigrating:  they are so socially awkward that their home fortress kicked them out.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

Hi!

I agree that social skills climb too fast, at least appraisal and recordkeeping. If you have a novice recordkeeper at the beginning, within a year or so, she will be a legendary recordkeeper.

By 1054, my mayor/broker/leader who has been doing all the trading (including offending the elves once) is already a grand master in appraisal. During the dwarven caravan, she decided to take a nap at the worst moment, so I allowed anyone to trade. As far as I can tell, a dwarf who had just joined the fortress from the most recent immigration wave decided to do it. It was one (long) trade transaction (about 19,000 value on my side) and it turned the dwarf into a trader with a talented appraisal skill.

The other social skills don't seem that much of a problem to me (but maybe my dwarves are simply too busy cleaning up the mistakes I made (^_^;; ), but these two skills really sky-rocket.

Deathworks

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

Hey, you'd be a legendary record keeper too if you spent a full year doing literally nothing but keeping records during your waking hours.  Bookkeepers on record duty don't stop for anything but the bare essentials.  They're mad, I tell you.

dratsab151

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

What are you talking about?  They take time out to get hammered on dwarven ale here and there.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 06:22:00 am »

WEll, he did mention bare essentials.  But as it stands, bookkeepers appear to be psychic dwarves, sending out their thought-tendrils to all the corners of the fort (and surrounding area) simply by sitting in a stone chair all day.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 11:29:00 am »

Mysteriously, my administrative starting dwarf wasn't automatically set as Expedition Leader, so now I have some unskilled fisherdwarf conducting meetings with the diplomat. What gives? Previously, it was always the dwarf I gave Judge of Intent+Appraiser+Organizer+Record Keeper that got the position.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

Like mentioned above, I also noticed that my administrator dwarf wasn't set either as leader or as bookkeeper/manager/etc. I've usually given one dwarf appr/org/rec/neg, which automatically resulted in him being appointed to all the starting noble duties. With the new version, in all my new forts I've had to change my noble settings to the right dwarf manually. Of course the leader can't be changed, so I'm stuck with whoever gets that position. I'm not sure but maybe he tends to be the one with the largest number of pre-generated friends..? Arguably the worst problem arising from this is that you no longer can choose your leader (and most likely the future mayor) based on him liking things like copper rather than adamantite and crystal glass  :)

Also, in my most humble of opinions, I think it might be better if social skill advances didn't give level/stat gains..

Trollvottel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2008, 08:22:00 am »

On my game I had a Miner who gained several Miner levels digging ... and then assigned him an office, made him Recordkeeper and set high precision.

After what felt like only a few minutes (though it's hard to keep track of the time while playing DF) his Recordkeeper skill overtook all his other skills.

Effect? My strongest, toughest dwarf has the job title "Clerk" :-)

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

Urist calm down man, you don't wanna fight that guy he's a CLERK... Yeah I know what he said about your beard, let it go he'll mess you up.

[ February 22, 2008: Message edited by: sorbius ]

keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sorbius:
<STRONG>Urist calm down man, you don't wanna fight that guy he's a CLERK... Yeah I know what he said about your beard, let it go he'll mess you up.</STRONG>

Starring Litast and Silent Thikut.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4