Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Alcatraz - Run by the people of the internet  (Read 1932 times)

Bendigeidfran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Alcatraz - Run by the people of the internet
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:56:49 pm »

Hello denizens of the Bay12 Forum! I decided a fun thing to do might be to run a Dwarven Prison challenge fort based on the input of people that like the idea. I also posted this in the Dwarf Fortress Subreddit here so check that out if you're interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/3fc9w6/dwarven_alcatraz_run_by_the_people_of_the_internet/

The objective is to create a Dwarven Prison in a volcano, the details of the challenge can be found here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Challenges#Dwarven_Prison
I will accept all reasonable input from you fine folks on how to run the prison, what to take with me, what to do there etc. Will we have individual cells or one big room full of chains?
Will they be fed biscuits or only raw plump helmets or dog tripe roasts? You decide!

There are a few ground rules:

-I must take with me at least one pick and provisions for my initial seven Dwarves.
-Any unreasonable requests will be discarded, but this only extends to things that will take an unreasonable amount of time/effort to complete or will render the entire game unplayable for example "Only make cells out of solid gold" or "Every prisoner gets a personal pair of clown-tooth cuffs". Generally think how feasible something is with the small amount of labour I have at my disposal.

I will post a video on Youtube for each season that passes, detailing the events that transpired from the perspective of the Warden.

I would also like names for the Dwarves, if you want a name in the game let me know and also say whether you want to be a staff member or a prisoner and any extra details/requests.

I'll begin the fortress as soon as I know what i'm taking with me and any extra initial details related to the initial quarter. Here's hoping this is as fun as it sounds!

The Theory behind Magma, is moste Robuste.

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Alcatraz - Run by the people of the internet
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:22:37 pm »

My first thought for a prison was a spiral pit around a central column. Prisoners are stored in cells on the outer edge of the spiral. The central column contains magma and perhaps a few lava falls could be installed.

Each of the cells should be a little more than just a rock room. they should also have a workshop of some kind for hard labor. (also convenient use of burrows to ensure they stay in their cell.)

Collapsing the entire complex is a bit cliche, but the ramp leading around to each of the prison cells should be just 1 tile wide and the bottom floor should be a magma pool for convenient execution.

mc858

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 02:22:40 pm »

My first thought for a prison was a spiral pit around a central column. Prisoners are stored in cells on the outer edge of the spiral. The central column contains magma and perhaps a few lava falls could be installed.

Each of the cells should be a little more than just a rock room. they should also have a workshop of some kind for hard labor. (also convenient use of burrows to ensure they stay in their cell.)

Collapsing the entire complex is a bit cliche, but the ramp leading around to each of the prison cells should be just 1 tile wide and the bottom floor should be a magma pool for convenient execution.

The Chronicles of Riddik!!!!!

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:12:52 am »

Drop shafts for each cell room dropping prisoners into the lava if they don't comply.
Make it possible to individually drop sections or flood sections of the prison with lava (why build in a lava volcano if you don't use it properly for cleaning?).
Lava pumps when you need to show some elves the meaning of dwarven power management or to give a nice hot drink to goblin visitors.