Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Imagine the new possibilities? What will be your first pick?  (Read 10661 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine the new possibilities? What will be your first pick?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 06:00:43 pm »

I just want a fortress where the only citizens are batmen.

Training of the comedian skill is punishable by perpetual use as unarmed sparring partner by all other citizens until death, upon which time contractual immortality passes the title of highest comedian skill is passed onto someone else who has to take on the same name, but highly variable acting skill. 

Furthermore, all married citizens are to be executed upon their first child advancing out of "baby" status. 

*AHEM*

But anyway, yeah, all joking aside, Moonshadow has the right idea.  We should not be executing the elves that have awakened to the truth and are ready to make amends for the backwards ways of their ancestors. 

That said, I certainly look forward to getting a generation fort going where I breed some sort of interesting animal-people as a part of the fort, like brown recluse spiderpeople or something, so that my whole military has a lethal bite attack.  Alternately, any aquatic-creature-person because they're all amphibious, and hence can allow me to selectively flood my fortress with impunity.  Bonus if they're something like crabmen, because then they have armored bodies for military work, and I could do things like have a courtyard for fighting goblin sieges I could flood on a moment's notice if things started going south. 

That or a whole fortress of peach-faced lovebird people because LOL.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:19:38 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 06:12:28 pm »

I wonder if there's actually any historical precedent for nations selectively forming militaries from a particular group of immigrants (voluntary immigrants, i.e., not Jannisaries). History is weird, so probably.

That said, I'm looking forward forward to making elves live as second-class citizens inside the stumps of highwood trees.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 06:21:14 pm »

I wonder if there's actually any historical precedent for nations selectively forming militaries from a particular group of immigrants (voluntary immigrants, i.e., not Jannisaries). History is weird, so probably.

That said, I'm looking forward forward to making elves live as second-class citizens inside the stumps of highwood trees.

You mean, like the Mamluks? Or, since DF is so big on Norse myth, Varangian Guard?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 11:19:53 pm »

Military conscripted only from badger men. Make it so.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 01:35:28 am »

My elves- They shall drink ale, wear steel, and slaughter their hippie brethren with impunity. Fire shall burn deep in their hearts as they pull the lever that floods the forest with lava and they hear the screams of their families. The mewling of the orphan children shall be music to their ears. Stone their friend, wood their fuel.

It is one thing to torture one into misery.

It is entirely more satisfying to turn one into the reason for the prior's misery. Make them one of your own- let him wrack his kin's souls. 'Tis more effective than you doing it yourself.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 01:51:02 pm »

ya'll need jeezus.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 05:00:41 pm »

ya'll need jeezus.

Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 07:42:29 pm »

ya'll need jeezus.

Good idea.  I hear he can raise the dead like other necromancers.  He'd make an excellent field commander if we give him steel armor and toughen him up in a danger room, first.  Let's weaponize Jesus!
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 08:12:32 pm »

You mean, like the Mamluks? Or, since DF is so big on Norse myth, Varangian Guard?

Mamlukes were slaves, and the Varangian Guard was made up of Norse who travelled to Byzantium specifically to join it. I think the closest thing would be the Roman Foederati; groups were allowed to settle within the empire in return for supplying armed forces to defend specific regions.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 08:28:36 pm »

Mamlukes were slaves, and the Varangian Guard was made up of Norse who travelled to Byzantium specifically to join it. I think the closest thing would be the Roman Foederati; groups were allowed to settle within the empire in return for supplying armed forces to defend specific regions.

Mamluks were originally slaves, but the Mamluk sultans certainly weren't.  In fact, a large part of Arab/Muslim culture is molded by the fact that they were frequently occupied by foreigners who ran the military, but commercial, bureaucratic, and religious life were theirs. (Although they stole the bureaucracy from the Persians, themselves, and originally had Persians running their empire while they were the military caste.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 11:20:24 pm »

I also wonder to what extent one can manipulate what visitors arrive at your fortress.

I'm picturing embarking in the middle of elven lands (far away from any non-elven sites), getting a decent fort going, retiring, then making a demigod adventurer and slaughtering my way through the surrounding forest retreats to send a wave of pointy-eared refugees to my dwarven outpost. Then starting the inevitable final solution from there.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 07:19:17 am »

This could lead to a full caste system, forcing the lesser species to do the manual labor.

because we certainly want more nobles and high borns into our forts.

also speaking of geezus. i wonder if toady will ever impliment gods into the game as more physical beings...capturing and taming armok as your fortress guard would be actually pretty darn fun....

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 07:28:36 am »

What I'm interested in is interacting with Animal Men encampments in the caverns. The indigenous population has never done more than offer up the tiniest of token resistances. I wonder if now it's possible to convert the tribes you find into fort members?

I'm thinking of setting my population cap super low and relying entirely on visitors/fortress-bred dwarves for additional citizens.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 07:22:55 pm »

I also wonder to what extent one can manipulate what visitors arrive at your fortress.

I'm picturing embarking in the middle of elven lands (far away from any non-elven sites), getting a decent fort going, retiring, then making a demigod adventurer and slaughtering my way through the surrounding forest retreats to send a wave of pointy-eared refugees to my dwarven outpost. Then starting the inevitable final solution from there.

That would require that Toady fix the long-standing bug that makes generic populations completely immortal/replaced by their own clones upon being moved, first...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 08:01:06 pm »

Well, it's not a bug, he mentioned that he did it because the historical figure populations were too low but it was slowing down world gen so he added padded populations. Once you talk to someone they become a historical figure, as do animals.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4