Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Imagine the new possibilities? What will be your first pick?  (Read 10581 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine the new possibilities? What will be your first pick?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 10:05:42 am »

Well, it's not a bug, he mentioned that he did it because the historical figure populations were too low but it was slowing down world gen so he added padded populations. Once you talk to someone they become a historical figure, as do animals.

It is certainly a bug, and confirmed, at that

Padded non-historical populations are features.  The problem is that the procedurally generated creatures aren't actually marked to not spawn anymore once they become historic, meaning they are cloned with a new non-historic as soon as you move far enough away, fast-travel, or sleep.  I can have a full party of 6 of the exact same person following me by simply going to a castle and asking the guy standing in the same spot to follow me.

This also leads to worldgen populations never going down, making dark towers impossible to conquer.

Simply put, if a town has 100 people in it, you can murder 1000 people in that town, and come back, and there will now be 110 people in it, because there were some births when you went away.

See also: This thread.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:09:14 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 04:56:11 am »

What I'm interested in is interacting with Animal Men encampments in the caverns. The indigenous population has never done more than offer up the tiniest of token resistances. I wonder if now it's possible to convert the tribes you find into fort members?

Typically, the first thing you'd do after encountering a technologically less advanced tribe is try and convert them to your cause/make them a vassal.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 06:53:03 pm »

Well, now that beautiful and interesting creatures can come live in your fort I'll probably go out of my way to kill off the fugly bearded little fuckers player forts have traditionally been infested with. The secrets of steel belong with the Elves anyway.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »

Well, now that beautiful and interesting creatures can come live in your fort I'll probably go out of my way to kill off the fugly bearded little fuckers player forts have traditionally been infested with. The secrets of steel belong with the Elves anyway.

Fetch the hammer, we've got a heretic in our midst.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 09:03:16 pm »

Personally, I look forward to training up some hedgehogpeople.  As I understand it, their ability to curl into a ball when they have already been traveling at a sprint is capable of puncturing steel armor, and may be [BUILDING_DESTROYER].
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 08:02:51 am »

Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 05:21:29 pm »

IIRC, historic animalmen have a small chance to migrate to civilization this time around, correct? If so, I'll shoot for Sperm Whale (Wo)Men. A single adult trained for battle and turned into a vampire would easily be on par with forgotten beasts, nay, even greater, since SWM can use shields.

Oh, if only there was some way to make clothes and armor for their size. I would be able to make... gods.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 05:37:26 pm »

If only we could get blind cave ogres in our civs... though [SLOW_LEARNERS], they can use armour and weapons. Dunno about vampirism, though.
One wheel short of a wagon

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 02:32:13 pm »

IIRC, historic animalmen have a small chance to migrate to civilization this time around, correct? If so, I'll shoot for Sperm Whale (Wo)Men. A single adult trained for battle and turned into a vampire would easily be on par with forgotten beasts, nay, even greater, since SWM can use shields.

Oh, if only there was some way to make clothes and armor for their size. I would be able to make... gods.

Last time i used dfhack to make dingo men part of my fort, the were able to make clothes their size if a dingo man was operating the clothier's shop. I'd try that.

Be warned though; bigger animals get bigger, heavier clothes, so much so that they can become incapable of moving at a decent speed. You could wind up with sperm whale slug men slowly dragging themselves and their multiple-ton clothes along the ground.

I'll probably just be putting immigrants into whatever jobs they have skills in unless they have some special, incredibly useful trait.
Could use goblin bookkeepers/lever pullers for instance. No need to eat or drink, just give them a bed and let them hang out.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 07:12:43 pm »

I wonder if there's a way to turn off the padded populations feature after world gen?  I'd be interested in playing a world where there were only the historical entities and the unnamed population counts only ever rose after a childbirth event.  It would be a pretty sparsely populated world at first, but then the various battles between entities (where one entity is slain or retreats with or without a wound), would make more sense.  Fortress Mode would quickly populate a world, as every Spring all the civs could add births to their entity count

There would have to be an average births per female per year aspect to each race, with a secondary percentage of stillbirths from unmarried vs married females added into the algorithm.  For instance, human females -before modern medicine- had 1 birth possible every year, but an 80% chance of stillbirth due to various diseases and malnutrition.  That dropped down to a 20% chance of stillbirth without malnutrition, which made unmarried females have a chance of 1:5 to birth a viable baby and married females have a 4:5 chance, so long as there was enough food.

Each year, the total available food would have to be compared to the population of each settlement in a civ to see if any would die from starvation - the subpopulations of "Child", "Adult" and "Elderly" would each have to be compared (pre-procreative, procreative, post-procreative) - Historically, Humans generally placed the needs of nutrition in this order: Adults, Children, Elderly.  Only those in the procreative sub-populations would be able to be considered for generating new populations, with the Elderly often kept around for their use in childcare and their wisdom about how to best deal with the multiple challenges that may arise from year to year.

Anyway, it would be interesting to have a fortress populated by only historic entities, such that a poorly managed fortress with many deaths or well managed one with many survivors would significantly affect the population of the World as a whole.  Likewise, battles of attrition would actually affect the World population, such that an Age of Twilight was once more something attainable.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2015, 08:18:35 pm »

ya'll need jeezus.

Good idea.  I hear he can raise the dead like other necromancers.  He'd make an excellent field commander if we give him steel armor and toughen him up in a danger room, first.  Let's weaponize Jesus!

then technically its not jesus, its teh emperor of mankind, ok, just without the sci fi tech....

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2015, 11:46:23 pm »

Last time i used dfhack to make dingo men part of my fort, the were able to make clothes their size if a dingo man was operating the clothier's shop. I'd try that.

Be warned though; bigger animals get bigger, heavier clothes, so much so that they can become incapable of moving at a decent speed. You could wind up with sperm whale slug men slowly dragging themselves and their multiple-ton clothes along the ground.

I'll probably just be putting immigrants into whatever jobs they have skills in unless they have some special, incredibly useful trait.
Could use goblin bookkeepers/lever pullers for instance. No need to eat or drink, just give them a bed and let them hang out.

Yeah, I once made a mod in early 31.01 to test the new HFS where I made dwarves 1000 times larger.  It turned out their pig tail socks weighed 20 tons and slowed them down to minimum sluggish crawl until I mandated fortress-wide nakey time. 

I presume there would be no helping spermwhalepeople without a ton of armor user training (but I suspect they'd be pretty decently hardy in a danger room or coinstar trainer). 

You're probably better off looking for unusual skills like poisons or amphibious.  (Squidpeople who naturally octuple-wield one of every weapon, de geso~!)

I shall train my armadillo people squads for meat shielding for none can stand up to their armored balling might when my marksdwarves fire upon the enemy from the rear!
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:44 pm »

I really want to get Ant people of the Queen caste to create an Ant Man hive.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2015, 08:28:04 pm »

elf with an addy longsword. ((after they prove themselves worthy of being called my greatest warrior))  8)

give him/her a cool nickname too.

"storm"
"hurricane"
"lightning"

all good options.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2015, 12:54:17 am »

I'll definitely be making a human military force, armed with imported armour and given the finest steel weaponry. Maybe I'll have a fort with only a human military? Or have my dwarves be kind of the best of the best, have each squad have one dwarf, a few humans, and a few elves. The dwarf will be outfitted in the best steel armour, everyone will get steel shields and weaponry, and the humans and elves will get sub-par equipment.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4