Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CTD there a CTD there a CTD everywhere (both reborn and old version)  (Read 990 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So...

Generating world: First world works
Next attempt: more likely a CTD happens
Third attempt: Even more likely a CTD happens
Fourth attempt: Almost positive a CTD happens

Playing dwarf fortress, then go to main menu and generate world: CTD 100% of the time
Generate a 2nd world right after the 1st, without exiting and re-entering the game: CTD 100% of the time

Generate world, and press embark? CTD (this is semi-common)

Zoom in? CTD
Zoom out? CTD

Save the game? CTD 100% of the time

Have menu open and then force DFhack to save with "quicksave" no ctd...except 1 out of 3 times the game will CTD when attempting to go back in game...at least the game saved

Playing the game? Random ctd anywhere between 5 minutes and 40 minutes

Just start an embark: severe lag (4-5 FPS on a brand new embark) and then CTD (this is more rare though)

do a bunch of orders (mining, building etc)...severe FPS drop or/and CTD

Go out to hunt? CTD randomly (this is really rare though)

Start anywhere and EVERYWHERE is super dark and I can barely see icons (my monitor is really bright too). Light acts really weird all over the screen (there is weird blocks of light that flow through the map when I move the camera), and then severe fps drop and CTD (very common)

Select a warlock (or dwarf or whoever I'm playing as)? CTD (semi-rare)

Read information about warlock/dwarf or whoever by seeing their thoughts? CTD (semi-rare)

Move across the map with camera? CTD (semi-common)

My system specs:
Windows 7 64bit
8gig DDR3 ram
i5 660 CPU 3.3 Ghz
Geforce GTX 660 2gb
no ssd drive

Why am I getting so many crashes?

What I've edited: Nothing. I downloaded masterwork and moved it to my custom folder inside steam (where I keep even non-steam games) not instead program 64x or whatever, but my custom folder windows doesn't touch...and then started dwarf fortress from inside masterwork. Nothing else touched.

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a hunch - try disabling TWBT if it's enabled.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, I'll try that :)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You activated both Twbt and Rendermax without reading their readmes and probably did not run the LAA patcher for systems with more than 2GB ram.

Otherwise I can't really say. Some people have crashes at worldgen, but that depends on their system.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:01:59 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With TWBT off, I still got tons of crashes and lag. And lighting was still completely messed up. Darkness everywhere, and weird globs of light moving all around and if I moved the camera light was really buggy.

I disabled rendermax with DF hack (it says it needs rendermax enabled to run, but you can disable it afterwards in-game)...and CTDs went away. Lag disappeared, and the lighting wasn't buggy anymore.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Rendermax instantly crashes when you zoom in, zoom out, and is very heavy on the FPS. That's all stated in the readme and the price to pay for a lighting engine. It should be disabled by default, aka you download the mod, start playing and Rendermax is NOT on, precisely for these reasons.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is weird. Because I think rendermax was on by default for me. I didn't touch anything when I copied the files over...left it as it was.

But as a test, I tried moving the files again and it was off by default like you said. Maybe I accidentally clicked it at one point...probably what happened.

In any case, I figured out what was actually causing it to crash. It wasn't rendermax or anything else. My stupid AVG antivirus kept trying (and failing) to block dwarf fortress (no idea why...maybe because "dfHACK")...so since I've been wanting to remove AVG for a while since it kept doing stupid things I didn't want. And was using too much of my CPU all the time. I went with avast since I guess I heard that was a good one, and its going a lot better. Even with rendermax on (but that TWBT is off like it should be)...no more crashes. But I'm probably disable rendermax every time I launch DF so I get a more stable game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Twbt shouldnt cause crashes. You can still play with the item sprites and multilevel rendering, it only affects fps a bit.