Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How are people dealing with FPS death?  (Read 4279 times)

Cerbsen

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for butcher
    • View Profile
Re: How are people dealing with FPS death?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2015, 10:52:49 am »

I haven't had problems with flying things causing lag, haven't had giant keas but the buzzards should do similar pathing (and didn't cause any problem).

While keas and buzzards are both flying and steal food, keas also steal items and can climb. Maybe flying and climbing at the same time cause trouble with pathfinding or they are not able to find a path to thier desired item and spam new pathfinding requests.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2015, 11:17:42 am »

I haven't had problems with flying things causing lag, haven't had giant keas but the buzzards should do similar pathing (and didn't cause any problem).

While keas and buzzards are both flying and steal food, keas also steal items and can climb. Maybe flying and climbing at the same time cause trouble with pathfinding or they are not able to find a path to thier desired item and spam new pathfinding requests.
I bet the culprit is the climbing.  I wonder if it happens in the earlier versions when dwarves would climb everywhere, before Toady added the "climb as last resort" logic.  What makes something able to climb?  Can that be cut from the raws for keas?

Cerbsen

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 11:32:27 am »

I bet the culprit is the climbing.  I wonder if it happens in the earlier versions when dwarves would climb everywhere, before Toady added the "climb as last resort" logic.  What makes something able to climb?  Can that be cut from the raws for keas?

I think if you remove the following from the raws it is no longer able to:
Code: [Select]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:9000:8900:8825:8775:9500:9900] 1 kph, NO DATA
[STANCE_CLIMBER][NATURAL_SKILL:CLIMBING:15]

Here is the according wiki entry: DF2014:Gait
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:34:10 am by Cerbsen »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2015, 11:57:42 am »

In all my DF2014 forts the FPS loss has been pretty consistent in terms of how many dwarves there are and how many items there are around. But my FPS drops horrendously if I look at the surface. IDK why. It's pretty stable at 30-40 most times with 80 dwarves and numerous livestock, but if I look at the "light above ground" portion of my map with the trees, then it drops down to around 17FPS. Looking at my entrance/depot area which is above the lowest ground level but inside the cliff/mountain that dominates half the map provides no FPS issues.

And I'm fairly certain that world size would have little or no effect on FPS directly. Worlds don't do much on their own, it's the entities that inhabit them that cause issues. However, smaller worlds tend to have fewer entities and historical figures surviving to do stuff post worldgen, so there is some correlation or indirect causation. Just an amateur guess.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2015, 05:34:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure the issue was an undead cascade in the caverns. The script I wrote to eventually clean up the undead has kept my FPS more reasonable. Sitting at 80 dwarves with 50-60fps. Without the script, on just my observation, I had 250 undead roaming the caverns are one point, with that number steadily increasing because there was nothing to get rid of them.

Though, ten years in, and still haven't been visited by anything other than dwarves. Somewhat disappointing, I even made sure to embark close to goblins, but no dice.

I also wrote a couple scripts to make corpse parts, xClothesx, and food deteriorate and be garbage collected, so that helped a lot with item clutter.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:39:32 pm by omniclasm »

Cerbsen

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2015, 03:10:06 am »

I'm pretty sure the issue was an undead cascade in the caverns. The script I wrote to eventually clean up the undead has kept my FPS more reasonable. Sitting at 80 dwarves with 50-60fps. Without the script, on just my observation, I had 250 undead roaming the caverns are one point, with that number steadily increasing because there was nothing to get rid of them.

Did you upload your script somewhere ?
If not could you share it, please ;) ... i.e. Dwarf Fortress File Depot

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 07:59:21 am »

That would definitely be a nice thing to share.  ;D
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 08:57:48 am »

What lowers FPS more. the contaminants caused by a forest or all the logs from said forest lying about? I might try slash-and-burn techniques.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2015, 02:41:37 pm »

Did you upload your script somewhere ?
If not could you share it, please ;) ... i.e. Dwarf Fortress File Depot

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10867

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2015, 08:06:37 pm »

The main cause of FPS drops in DF2014 are the giant amounts of contaminants dropped by the new trees and changes to how pathfinding calculations work

Hrm, we could test this easily by using dfhack to remove contaminants

Also, contaminants disappear after retiring right?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2015, 05:08:21 am »

I've put the whole embark under priority 7 cut down trees.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2015, 04:18:17 pm »

I've made half a dozen forts in 2014 version, and all of them have dropped to single digit FPS before I even see a goblin.

My current fort that I'm about to retire is at 11 FPS with 37 dwarves. I've even used dfhack to destroy every single item on the map (including clothes dwarves were wearing), and destroyed all workshops as well as walling all 37 dwarves into a tiny area. Still 11 FPS.

Should I just go back to older versions? Is there any intention to make the newer version playable before adding new features?

I've never seen anything like that.  My current "DF 2014" fort has had hundreds of goblins and monsters across many sieges, plus forgotten beasts, underground creatures, and other attacks.  I use vanilla DF without hacking/helper utilities and generated the world with the standard "create a world" interface.

Have you tried vanilla DF (no mods) without utilities?

Even on my modest system, it's playable with all features on, tons of stuff, 150+ dwarves, lots of animals, etc.

I'd like to see a savegame from one of your instances.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:29:24 pm by Lightman »
Pages: 1 2 [3]