Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My worlds SUCK!  (Read 1998 times)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My worlds SUCK!
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:09:27 pm »

Every single world I generate always is stuck in 1-2 ages, either "Age of myth" "Age of *megabeast*" or "Golden age."

No matter what I do I always end up with lackluster worlds! I want a world that goes from myth and cycles through lots of ages and may end up at civilization age, fairy tales, or something of the sort. Help!
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: My worlds SUCK!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:31:25 pm »

Civilisation age: super strong bias towards 1 civilisation e.g evil=goblin, mountain+mineral=dwarven, lowlands/plains/forest or whatever+mineral=human.

LOADS of rivers. Probably many interection disturbance types for infighting? Not sure...

MANY embark locations, few caves, low megabeast, semimegabeast count, few night creatures, vamp and werewolf curses. Demons will be helpful for goblins, I think.
One wheel short of a wagon

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:58:42 pm »

Testing your advice now, so far after 400 years still the roc is alive and goblins have taken a lot of the land  :'(
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 01:01:44 pm »

400 years is a short period of time to get massive a mounts of wild crazy stuff to happen (like the passing of several ages) on a large or medium world. But what exactly are you looking for in a world? Just because there is a dominant race or age of myth doesn't mean a world is boring.
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »

I'm only play on small or pocket worlds, 400 years should be enough time for something to happen

What am I looking for in a world .. Well

- Lots of ages, to give the world layers
- In order from most wanted to least wanted > civilization age, fairytale age, twilight age, golden age
- Humans to rule the planet

I don't think I'm asking for too much, just some history to the world

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:17:50 pm »

I would definitely bump up the time if you want multiple ages. I've never gotten a fairytale or twilight age myself because I tend to go with worlds just young enough to have titans, mega-beasts, etc. and necromancers. Going off what NJW2000 said, make the world flatter and less evil in advanced parameters to make it more likely for humans to thrive. Best of luck.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 01:49:43 pm »

Maybe the people in my worlds just aren't capable of killing the monsters? I've never seen a titan get slain, and dragons are also never slain. What can I do to beef my people up?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 01:56:19 pm »

Don't try all the race benefits at once. ALL will then have an advantage, and goblin scum spread fast >:(

May have forgotten to mention: high good, and , I think, savagery, for elves. For kobolds, if you really want them, caves.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 02:45:16 pm »

Yeah, I got some good results regarding human spread (Nearly the entire map) but they never killed the bronze colossus, I think I'll just give up, maybe the new version coming in the next month or so will fix it. Meanwhile, genned with the basic world gen a smaller world with high civ beasts and sites for 1050 years and was still myth the entire time.  :-\ I just have terrible luck, thanks for your help guys

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 03:11:40 pm »

There's an option for megabeast cull time, and megabeast no., I think, which should help.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 03:15:51 pm »

There's an option for megabeast cull time, and megabeast no., I think, which should help.
Same with titans.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 05:29:52 pm »

I don't understand why you don't like the age of myth. The age of myth is the best age because it has the most megabeasts and megabeasts are fun. There's also no big difference between the different ages, it just reflects the worlds populations. It's not like playing in a golden age is different from an age of myth except there's less megabeasts. Going for an age of a civilization is like trying to make the game boring, it's just the same thing, but with only one type of civilization.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 07:16:45 pm »

I don't understand why you don't like the age of myth. The age of myth is the best age because it has the most megabeasts and megabeasts are fun. There's also no big difference between the different ages, it just reflects the worlds populations. It's not like playing in a golden age is different from an age of myth except there's less megabeasts. Going for an age of a civilization is like trying to make the game boring, it's just the same thing, but with only one type of civilization.

To me there's a huge difference. Perhaps you enjoy slaughtering megabeasts and raiding tombs full of hydras but to me that's just not my thing. The age of civilization doesn't sound boring to me, and I ask that you respect my opinion on gameplay. There's no "right" way to play dwarf fortress, after all. In my opinion, there's more to dwarf fortress than slaughtering megabeasts and breaking into hell, the history of worlds and the way things move is what really attracts me to the game. I know it's not the most fun aspect of the game to many people, but I have a thrill for adventure and exploration. I love to make worlds with secrets and shutting of "reveal all legends." I guess I'm just boring though.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:26:38 pm by Klitri »

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 07:21:39 pm »

Update on situation: Interesting note, I was able to START at civilization age, and it regressed to fairy tale age shortly during world gen. Interesting, I think this will do a lot better, even if I have no real history!  :D

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 07:54:40 pm »

Beasties are part of the history though, but part of the fun is the range of stuff you can do.

Turn site cap after world gen up, that'll help them flourish while wiping out the beasties.
Pages: [1] 2