Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Ivybolt - On hiatus until parts may be acquired.  (Read 24597 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ivybolt - Three founders down, six to go.
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2015, 08:53:19 pm »

Alright guys, bad news. Due to a physical malfunction with my external hard drive (the port of the usb cable snapped off and tumbled into the thing,) Ivybolt and all other inactive forts are lost save for Blackhold and a very old Riverrun save. Until I can find out if it can be repaired, Ivybolt is functionally dead. Sorry about the wasted time everyone, especially you 4maskwolf cause you put some good effort into the stuff with Ironbeard.

There's a couple of possibilties. A fair number of external harddrives are normal internal ones + enclosure. Failing that, you can likely solder in a new connector (if you're in the Rochester/Western New York area, I may be able to do it, though I need a new iron). What drive model is it exactly?

I don't know the model. And I'm certain that's what it needs and my mother happened to do stuff like this for a living; I know we have an iron around here somewhere, just a matter of finding it. And unfortunately I'm not, I live in the southeast.

On the upside, Minecraft. Finally broke down and got it.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile

Shall you switch to Blackhold then, or I can keep on ruining it?  :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:21:32 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile

It's not lost.

we can rebuild.

just call it a migration.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2015, 05:35:14 pm »

Alright guys, bad news. Due to a physical malfunction with my external hard drive (the port of the usb cable snapped off and tumbled into the thing,) Ivybolt and all other inactive forts are lost save for Blackhold and a very old Riverrun save. Until I can find out if it can be repaired, Ivybolt is functionally dead. Sorry about the wasted time everyone, especially you 4maskwolf cause you put some good effort into the stuff with Ironbeard.

There's a couple of possibilties. A fair number of external harddrives are normal internal ones + enclosure. Failing that, you can likely solder in a new connector (if you're in the Rochester/Western New York area, I may be able to do it, though I need a new iron). What drive model is it exactly?

I don't know the model. And I'm certain that's what it needs and my mother happened to do stuff like this for a living; I know we have an iron around here somewhere, just a matter of finding it. And unfortunately I'm not, I live in the southeast.

I recommend disassembling it carefully, and see if the drive is just a standard SATA drive in an enclosure. If so,you can just buy a new enclosure, put the drive in it, and be rolling again.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2015, 12:04:03 am »

I recommend disassembling it carefully, and see if the drive is just a standard SATA drive in an enclosure. If so,you can just buy a new enclosure, put the drive in it, and be rolling again.

Well I'm just worried about forcing the thing open. The housing seems to be made from slotted together plastic, and if it snaps free the wrong way, the drive might get damaged whic would of course also be bad.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Can't rescue a few dwarfs without making a few omlettes. If there's a label on the bottom (there usually is), you can ID the drive model.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't rescue a few dwarfs without making a few omlettes. If there's a label on the bottom (there usually is), you can ID the drive model.

Indeed!

So good news guys, I can salvage thing sassuming I haven't messed up the hard drive too much with all the jostling around. Me and a friend managed to pry open the plastic casing and while the USB connector is broken, the drive itself can easily be slipped in and connected to the main drive provided I can either get the right kind of screws or get the money for a drive adapter to mount it outside the expansion bay under my DVD drive.

It'll be a while, but who knows. Prehaps Ivybolt can continue in due time eh?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Ivybolt - On hiatus until parts may be acquired.
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2015, 01:43:05 pm »

Great news, good luck with repairs!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]