Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Considering forum upgrade  (Read 22491 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Re: Considering forum upgrade
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

Avatars? Why the heat against them?  I can see sig pics being used as ads or whatever that would suck but avatars??? Come on now...
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

Avatars are obnoxious and really break the theme of the forum.

"Wow... that is a Sonic Avatar... at this forum... and he has the same one... ohh look 20 people with no Avatars"

You then have to make your own...

At least that is the best I can explain why I don't like Avatars...

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »

Move.  I wouldn't mind it if you made it no avatar though.  Keep letting us set our own titles though... that way, we can get ascii avatars!

I manage a very small phpBB3 forum for someone else, and they're pretty good, though.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

In the forums I've visited with newer software they usually have an option in your profile to turn of other member's avatars and signatures.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

Either of those look fine and would be a great improvement, really. The current board doesn't offer much functionality at all.

I also agree with the folks here that would like to disable avatars... that or have a gallery of preset dwarf avatars all set to the same dimensions that people could choose from - that would make for an amusing gimmick. (Posters could request avatars they liked be added to the gallery of presets.)

Examples:

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Heh heh, yeah.  Have a list of differently-colored dwarf faces indicating that user's "profession".

I'd say either that or no avatars.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

me likes this forum

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

I say move. If only because I'm used to all the other boards where posting actually takes you to your post.

Agreed on the avatars - either a library of themed avatars, or no avatars. I liked TAUniverse in this regard - they had a library of avatars made from the game's (Total Annihilation) unit buildpics. As the user accumulated posts, he could choose from more avatars, but I found that particular bit unnecessary.

And I think this style should be kept. I like the color scheme on these boards.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

Move eet!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »

No avatars and no sigs!  No graphics of any kind, only ASCII

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

I think it sounds like a grand idea to upgrade the forum and keep this old one as a reference (changes/posting/registration disabled). I support suggestions that keep the new board fast and simple, for example, blocking images in sigs.

Avatars should just be a symbol/colour from the game  ;)

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Lightman ]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

A set picture avatar system to me... would be aweful for me (more so then a plain old avatar system)

if ONLY because I am willing to bet money that there isn't a single avatar I would like... Though that mostly comes from the fact that they are dwarves and the fact that dwarves are usually over stylised/themed then being a true race with variety and sets of values.

ASCII/Graphic set Avatar nearly perfect in my opinion if we have a avatar system.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

I vote for moving too.
As about avatars - I like the idea of "professions" with simple avatars which are already on the server.

The main problem of free avatars is that every 1-day user tries to use his "supermega" avatar and then quits, while the avatar stays uploaded.
Another one is that if you restrict the avatars to users with 100+ or more posts, it leads to many useless/stupid/unneeded posts and actually breaks the structure of clever threads.

As long as I love avatars I think they could harm the community spirit.
I think though that "professions" free avatars will save server disc space and will add some nice customization.

P.S. Also I think that it'd be perfect if these profession avatars were simple for us to add our imagination. Like that dwarf on the dfwiki logo.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

P.P.S. Excuse me, but is it me only whothinks that those dwarves on the set avatars (page 1) all are having orgasm/nice sex?

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Glaughdram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

I'm for the move, and for keeping the "simple no-nonsense style of this forum's layout".

I'm for avatars.

I'm against sigs.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>P.P.S. Excuse me, but is it me only whothinks that those dwarves on the set avatars (page 1) all are having orgasm/nice sex?</STRONG>

What, you thought it was a Legendary bedroom because the walls looked good?    :p

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11