Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Roll to be a Celestial Space Wizard - Turn 30, page 23  (Read 34017 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Roll to be a Celestial Space Wizard - Turn 30, page 23
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:47:50 pm »

You are a Celestial Wizard, a keeper of the ages. You have the power to travel between worlds and change the development of entire civilizations.
Heavily inspired by John C Wright's Count to the Eschaton series, but with wizards. And more space.

Magical Physics

Physical objects in this plane of existence are composed of either living or nonliving matter. Nonliving matter forms the bulk of the stars and planets in the universe, whereas living matter is composed of Mana, a substance abundant within gas clouds and interstellar pockets of matter.
Mana is a psychic substance, that is, it can be manipulated psychically by any conscious being--not only sapient beings, but anything with emotions or self-awareness. How Mana came to be a psychic substance before the existence of intelligent beings is unknown to science thus far.

Spoiler: Conservation of Energy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Time Dilation (click to show/hide)

Magical Biology

All biology comes from the Mana, a form of life that exists inside interstellar gas clouds, subsisting off of energy gradients. It condenses on planetary surfaces to form life as we know it, although this process depletes volatile Mana very quickly across geological time-scales. That said, the early stages of a living world's formation are shaped by primordial creatures channelling vast amounts of energy through whatever free Mana still exists. Those soon become extinct as Mana condenses into more stable forms, but impact events such as the famous "Dinosaur Killer" asteroid sometimes reintroduce volatile Mana into the world, locked and preserved inside meteorites.

Mana reintroduction events are the primary drivers of evolution on a world, causing rapid change in whichever animals are exposed to it. These events can happen when meteorites containing Mana break up in the atmosphere, or alternatively when the star system passes through an interstellar concentration of Mana. Occasionally this will introduce life to worlds formerly barren, revitalizing life until Mana is depleted.
Most planets have had life at some point due to the power of Mana. Most traces have since vanished, however, although fossils can still be found on geologically inactive worlds.

Spoiler: Machine Life (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Alien Life (click to show/hide)

Magical Astronomy

The universe is a large and mysterious place. This is a primer on the kinds of systems you might find, although it is by no means an exhaustive list.

Spoiler: Basic Categories (click to show/hide)

How to Play

You are a celestial wizard, a being of unimaginable power who is one with Mana. You are able to push, pull, and interact with free Mana where present. Celestial wizards typically carry bottled Mana potions to support their powers whenever free Mana isn't available.

One of the perks of being a celestial wizard is the ability to fly through space, provided you have sufficient Mana. In interstellar space, a wizard can "cruise," causing interstellar Mana to resonate at your command and exert a pull on your body. This allows you to accelerate to near-lightspeed at will, although remember that at high speeds you undergo time dilation. Celestial wizards are thus arbiters of the ages, passing by worlds across the galaxy and guiding the development of civilization as we know it.
Interstellar Mana, however, is not thick enough to use for basic powers other than flight. To simply maintain a pocket of breathable atmosphere, celestial wizards require stored mana, which can only be gathered near gravity wells, especially from young star systems. Maintaining a breathable atmosphere does not require a lot of Mana, but it does occasionally need to be replenished.

Actions

Actions use a d6 to determine if you fail or not. Instead of direct bonuses, I use an attribute called affinity. Your affinity for an action is the amount of times you can reroll an action if you roll a 1 or 2. If your affinity is negative, it instead counts how many times you have to reroll if you get a 4 or 5. Rolling 6's always overshoots, regardless of what your bonuses are.

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

The Setting

Due to virtual-reality technology and a planet-wide netvserse, Earth-Luna has developed a monoculture and abandoned its colonization ideals. There are five major colonies on Venus, Mars, Ceres, Europa, and Neptune, although they are mostly isolated and do not communicate much aside from joint asteroid-mining expeditions (and a fringe culture of interplanetary freelancers).
Earth-Luna here refers to Earth and the colonized Moon.

Instead, most human celestial wizards originated from the past, from ancient to modern times. Earth hasn't produced any celestial wizards since 2025, and Luna pretty much hasn't either. As such, you can be any character from myth or lore, provided that you have either found mana to keep yourself young/alive (if you wish to keep the form of an old person, that's fine) until the year 3000 AD.

Elsewhere, celestial wizards are born regularly in the stellar neighborhood (and further out in the galaxy) and travel across the stars, shaping civilizations as they go. Most wizards use interstellar Mana to repair their bodies and keep themselves from aging, although relativistic travel also contributes to a lack of aging. The average celestial wizard has encountered maybe 5-10 other wizards in their lives, and has encountered civilizations in various stages of development, although few choose to make public contact:
A-Class: Prehistoric, no writing or large-scale organization
B-Class: Intermediate, pre-industrial.
Ca-Class: Industrial, pre-computing.
Cb-Class: Computing, pre-industrial.
D-Class: Post-industrial with computers
E-Class: Systemwide exploitation, no permanent colonies.
F-Class: Permanent systemwide colonization.

The classes end after F because timelag makes it nearly impossible to have an interstellar empire. G-Class is sometimes hypothetically reserved for civilizations spanning multiple systems.

Sign-ups

This is the character sheet. Your character will most likely be:
-A human from 2025 AD or earlier
-An alien from the local stellar neighborhood
-An alien from elsewhere (edges of the galaxy, inside Sagittarius A*, etc.)

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)

Here are some example characters I've made:
Spoiler: Mira (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Psychomancer (click to show/hide)

This isn't FCFS.

Players will start in space, somewhere in the local stellar neighborhood. There will be a basic list of radio sources for each player, along with extra info about the relevant stars if necessary.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:03:52 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 08:48:11 pm »

Current Character Sheets:
Yourmaster
Pancaek
Urist Arrhenius
Lenglon (PM'ed)
Coolrune206
H4zard
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:12:16 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Celestial Space Wizard - Open
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:00:38 pm »

This looks awesome. Reserved. Will finish soon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:00:47 am by Yourmaster »
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:11:57 pm »

Alright. I forgot to mention I wasn't planning on this being FCFS. If you have any questions on balance just send me a pm. Characters are allowed to be pretty powerful though.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:04 pm »

FCFS?
10/10.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:10 pm »

Will make character.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:54:42 pm »

FCFS?

First-come-first-serve. This isn't. So I'll pick whichever characters I think are most interesting.

By the way, you missed a [/spoiler].

As for the sheet, I've struckthrough a couple of grammatical errors that somewhat confuse me:
Shaman. He was known as the shaman. Alexandreus took more titles as he found more things and created technologies for(to?) be found hundreds, if not thousands of years later. He told stories of the stars, and how they could descend(Do you mean the humans can "ascend"?) to godhood, eventually. Soon, he saw a cloud rising over his homeland. He stepped forward amount his group members, the weakest of them all. Then, the lightning struck him. He was filled with the power of the celestial wizards, and became powerful. He wanted to save and destroy all over the cosmos, and be the arbiter of what can and can't be done. Maybe even make a planet to call his own.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:00:44 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:59:42 pm »

Will probably make a sheet.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:24:08 am »

interested but haven't picked which character to bring. too sleepy to read all the details right now, which I intend to do before chargen.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 02:51:34 am »

This feels rather familiar.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 06:02:08 am »

Actually, he had no idea if they could ascend or not. He was just making up something.
10/10.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 02:15:31 pm »

Sheet incoming.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 03:59:01 pm »

The fact I'm the only finished character while others are still working worries me.
10/10.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 04:27:01 pm »

Oh hey, I can make a second space wizard here. Noice. Does this mean pastblaster is on hiatus, by the way?

Sheet:
Spoiler: Michel (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:34:37 pm by Pancaek »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 06:01:41 pm »

Oh hey, I can make a second space wizard here. Noice. Does this mean pastblaster is on hiatus, by the way?

Sheet:
Spoiler: Michel (click to show/hide)

No, pastblasters is stiill going on. I'm just waiting for two of our players to post, but I think I will auto them after I'm done with university for today.

By the way, the Black Death was around 1350-1360 iirc...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:07:01 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24