Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Roll to be a Celestial Space Wizard - Turn 30, page 23  (Read 34011 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Celestial Space Wizard - Open
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 06:10:01 pm »

I will have a sheet up when I finish showering.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 06:24:28 pm »

True, but the plague doctors with the beaks were only invented in 1619 according to wikipedia. The black death was a gruesome peak, but the disease stayed for long after IIRC.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 09:03:22 pm »

How many players are going to be in?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:51 pm »

Leaning toward 5-6 like usual.

True, but the plague doctors with the beaks were only invented in 1619 according to wikipedia. The black death was a gruesome peak, but the disease stayed for long after IIRC.

I wasn't aware of this, thank you for informing me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:15:42 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 12:55:04 pm »

... having some trouble getting the character I want to bring adapted to the setting, I'll PM you the character info and ask for your help making it work, if that's ok with you.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 01:10:23 pm »

Sheet almost done.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 01:17:06 pm »

I wasn't aware of this, thank you for informing me.
I'm just reciting what I found in the wikipedias though. I had no idea about any of this. Also, plague doctor is "plague master" in my language. Sounds kinda sinister if you ask me. 

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 01:17:53 pm »

[spoiler=Tafaw the Bioaugmentor]Character Name: Tafaw the Bioaugmentor
Place of Origin:
Gloduvis is a large moon orbiting a gas giant, whose radiation belt provides much of the energy which is used by the Gloduvians in their magic. The result is that Gloduvians are obligated to expend this energy to protect their small tribal clusters from radiation, and are also given a massive supply of energy. These tribes primarily live underground in an attempt to minimize the harmful radiation they absorb.
Bio:
Tafaw began her life on the moon of Gloduvis, but quickly began jumping to nearby moons in order to learn more about them. She realized that as she went further from the radiation belt, to planets where Mana sources were less accessible, that creatures there were highly underdeveloped. She began to experiment in secret, trying to influence these moons. She would establish creatures of the same line on two similar moons, and then augment them differently to see what the outcome was. What was once a hobby became an obsession, and she began to stray further and further from her home in search of xenobiology which could serve as both inspiration and subject.
Appearance:
Early in her experimentation Tafaw learned that planets with less radiation can often harbor microorganisms which could not survive on her own moon, and that these were often pathogenic. As a result, she developed a suit tight-fitting suit with an air filter and large glass face-plate. Over this she wears a silk draping made from an organism she designed, which incorporates into its silk a number of metals, including cadmium, silver, and indium, which serve to absorb some of the radiation on both her homemoon and the places she travels. This billowing silk covering gives her slight form in her containment suit a waifish, almost ethereal look.
Powers:
Xenobiological augmentation: Tafaw specializes in the manipulation of the phenotypic and genotypic information of foreign organisms, often for scientific purpose, though she has also used this for more practical applications including self-defense.
Xenopathogen creation: Viewing them as simple organisms she could potentially make from scratch, Tafaw has designed and created both viral and bacterial pathogens, though this takes an immense amount of effort and they are usually less effective than naturally occurring pathogens.
Stats:
---Basic Arts---
Creation: 1
Alteration: 1
Redirection: 1
---Advanced Arts---
Transformation: 1
Augmentation: 1[/spoiler

Let me know what you think, both in terms of balance and how well the details fit with your expectations.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 05:05:51 pm »

So after receiving Lenglon's character sheet (which is quite good, by the way), I've realized I need to make some of the mechanics a bit clearer.

-Mana is not able to act independently. Your powers come from your character's conscious thoughts. Effects that trigger when your character is dead can't trigger, and effects that trigger while your character is light-seconds away will have a noticeable delay equal to 2*distance/speed of light.
-You can, however, enable toggled effects. These will subtract a certain amount of affinity from their respective Art, but can be switched every turn.

-Mana is flexible. Celestial wizards aren't limited to a specific set of powers, they can naturally heal themselves, levitate small objects, fly around, etc. The appearance of their spells is more of how they mentally envision their spells to look like.

-Mana is consumed in proportion to the amount of energy you are manipulating. So if you want to convert a planet into energy, you need a planet's worth of Mana. It's a curve that starts out level and approaches a linear fit for the amount of energy used.

Spoiler: Tafaw the Bioaugmentor (click to show/hide)

Let me know what you think, both in terms of balance and how well the details fit with your expectations.

((You forgot a spoiler.))

This is pretty good. Planetary rings in general are a source of Mana (great for refueling Wizards) as are radiation belts, since Mana absorbs EM for energy among other things. Moons are also likely to retain Mana due to lower gravity, although any pressure over time will still condense Mana into regular matter. So you're already an expert Magical Astronomer!

Creating pathogens doesn't innately require much effort, although due to the complexity of most genomes it can be intensive to design a specialized pathogen. Mana can be used for computing, fortunately, since computing is basically "manipulation of information." Tradeoffs are good. Accepted.

One advantage of this sheet (from a Bay12 standpoint) is that Tafaw can theoretically wipe out entire ecosystems with a well-designed microbe. Although my rules are supposed to make planet-busting intentionally hard by requiring tons of energy and Mana, you've completely sidestepped that limitation. Bravo.

Oh hey, I can make a second space wizard here. Noice. Does this mean pastblaster is on hiatus, by the way?

Sheet:
Spoiler: Michel (click to show/hide)

Posthuman medical skills probably classify as Alteration, but it's cheaper to have Medical be a separate skill. Sheet accepted.

This looks awesome. Reserved. Will finish soon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a little vague on the powers. By focused releases of Mana, do you mean some sort of charge-burst effect (which I can include special mechanics for, such as "can charge a spell for +1 affinity per turn spent charging")? While it's perfectly okay for a character to be a jack of all trades, this one is a little sparse on the uniqueness. I'll accept it as it is, but if you describe the powers more I can make the effects more flashy in-game.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:22:49 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Celestial Space Wizard - Still Accepting Acolytes
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 05:52:42 pm »

Character Name: Resteroth
Place of Origin: A small dwarf planet in Aldmerri 8B, a solar system closer to the center of the galaxy, but on the same leg as Earth. Because of the proximity of this solar system to a nearby pulsar, as well as a neutron star, constant waves of radiation moved over this planet, combined with energy from a F-Class star, this planet was only able to survive because of a colonization effort long ago by a space-faring race known as the Aldrovarians. The colonists here lost contact with their parent empire and were unable to leave the gravity of the solar system with the fuel their ships currently held, so they did their best to survive, terraforming the desolate planet, pumping atmosphere into the air, and stabilizing it. However, half the the population wanted to return home, while half wanted to stay, and after a brief civil war the surviving members of the Aldrovarians died off. However, over several more thousand years, life quickly sprouted in this paradise, a planet that they named "Fereroth". The creatures which evolved there looked like some mixture between a reptile and a bear which stood on three legs, one in the front and two in the back. They have one large grasper hand in the middle of their body and two other, smaller hands at their side which they used to hold things and do simple tasks. They have two eyes, attached to small stalks which can rotate separate of each other. They only recently, when compared to Earth, took to the stars, and have barely landed a few Ferothians on their two local moons.
Bio: Resteroth attained his position as a Celestial Space Wizard when one of the first rocket launches of the Ferothians went very wrong. The pilot got a clot of blood in his brain from the intense forces of gravity and soon died, and Resteroth was not able to successfully pilot the rocket back into an emergency landing. The ship, out of control, ended up in a slingshot orbit around one of the two moons, and got flung towards the pulsar star. Resteroth at this point lost consciousness, but woke up to find his ship caught in a kind of gravitational war as the pulsar star and the neutron star both fought each other's gravity wells to steal the ship. Resteroth, figuring it was all over, decided to honorably end it, and depressurized the ship with him inside of it. Caught directly inbetween the gravity wells, his death was stopped only by a figure sheen in light, so bright that Resteroth had to close his ocular devices. The being told him that he had interrupted his feeding on the mana inside a nearby nebula as he flung towards the star, and had piqued his interest. He offered Resteroth a choice: Die here in this space between two of the galaxy's mysteries, or join him as a wizard. Resteroth asked for a year to delegate with himself, and the wizard left him encapsuled in a body of breathable air for a year (A year by Resteroth's definition was approximately 2565 days, as it was back on Feroroth.) In the end, he decided to persist in life, and joined the Wizard. The wizard taught him all he needed to know.
Appearance:
Ferothians never truly evolved any sort of clothing, as they had no need for it. However, masks were soon invented, made out of wood and carved ornately. Resteroth often swaps between masks carved into different forms to express himself.
Powers:
Resteroth has the power to convert mana into basic elements, and can pair mana with already existing elements to create heavier and more complex evidents. He is very good at creating stable elements, but can work with radioactive elements too. He also has the basic powers of a Celestial Wizard.
Stats:
---Basic Arts---
Creation: 2
Reduction: 0
Alteration: 0
Redirection: 0
---Advanced Arts---
Animation: 1
Construction: 2
Destruction: 1

(I apologize if I missed anything, please inform me if I did.
So hyyyyyyped!)
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 06:05:43 pm »

Mphm. Interesting. Let's try this again.
 Powers: Alexandreus' powers are channeled through focused beams. This is projected through multiple colors of fire. His fire changes from light yellow to pure white. He can focus it into a rainbow color, if he wishes.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 07:25:30 pm »

Mphm. Interesting. Let's try this again.
 Powers: Alexandreus' powers are channeled through focused beams. This is projected through multiple colors of fire. His fire changes from light yellow to pure white. He can focus it into a rainbow color, if he wishes.

Ah, so rainbow/light magic. The human aspect of light rather than the physical aspect. Good stuff.

Character Name: Resteroth
Place of Origin: A small dwarf planet in Aldmerri 8B, a solar system closer to the center of the galaxy, but on the same leg as Earth. Because of the proximity of this solar system to a nearby pulsar, as well as a neutron star, constant waves of radiation moved over this planet, combined with energy from a F-Class star, this planet was only able to survive because of a colonization effort long ago by a space-faring race known as the Aldrovarians. The colonists here lost contact with their parent empire and were unable to leave the gravity of the solar system with the fuel their ships currently held, so they did their best to survive, terraforming the desolate planet, pumping atmosphere into the air, and stabilizing it. However, half the the population wanted to return home, while half wanted to stay, and after a brief civil war the surviving members of the Aldrovarians died off. However, over several more thousand years, life quickly sprouted in this paradise, a planet that they named "Fereroth". The creatures which evolved there looked like some mixture between a reptile and a bear which stood on three legs, one in the front and two in the back. They have one large grasper hand in the middle of their body and two other, smaller hands at their side which they used to hold things and do simple tasks. They have two eyes, attached to small stalks which can rotate separate of each other. They only recently, when compared to Earth, took to the stars, and have barely landed a few Ferothians on their two local moons.

Pulsars are neutron stars. Neutron stars aren't pulsars, though. You probably knew this. Judging from what you're saying, the planet itself seems to be orbiting a 90° inclined (relative to the axis between the F-class and the pair) binary neutron star pair at a significant distance (2500 day years are less than Jupiter's year, but the neutron stars have a combined mass of 3-6 solar masses, so the overall distance would be >5 AU), which is unlikely but possible. I don't think planets would survive supernovas, but if the planet once belonged to the F-class star it could have been stolen by the binary neutron star's gravity.

They're unlikely to have stored enough oxygen in their ships to make a planet habitable. The mass of the Earth's atmosphere is 5*10^14 kg, which is a lot.
If the planet had a dense CO2 atmosphere, small lifeforms could terraform it eventually.
However, there are sources of oxygen in space, such as asteroisds and regolith, or simply water. So perhaps if their interstellar fuel was antimatter, but their interplanetary propellant was hydrogen or water (easily replenishable, but not good for interstellar travel), they could have produced enough over time to allow for basic lifeforms to survive. Then you wouldn't need a dense CO2 atmosphere to begin with.

"Recently, when compared to Earth" depends highly on the distance. If they are many dozens of lightyears away, then by the time one arrives in the local stellar neighborhood the Ferothians won't be newcomers anymore. They're not likely to spread quickly, though.

Bio: Resteroth attained his position as a Celestial Space Wizard when one of the first rocket launches of the Ferothians went very wrong. The pilot got a clot of blood in his brain from the intense forces of gravity and soon died, and Resteroth was not able to successfully pilot the rocket back into an emergency landing. The ship, out of control, ended up in a slingshot orbit around one of the two moons, and got flung towards the pulsar star. Resteroth at this point lost consciousness, but woke up to find his ship caught in a kind of gravitational war as the pulsar star and the neutron star both fought each other's gravity wells to steal the ship. Resteroth, figuring it was all over, decided to honorably end it, and depressurized the ship with him inside of it. Caught directly inbetween the gravity wells, his death was stopped only by a figure sheen in light, so bright that Resteroth had to close his ocular devices. The being told him that he had interrupted his feeding on the mana inside a nearby nebula as he flung towards the star, and had piqued his interest. He offered Resteroth a choice: Die here in this space between two of the galaxy's mysteries, or join him as a wizard. Resteroth asked for a year to delegate with himself, and the wizard left him encapsuled in a body of breathable air for a year (A year by Resteroth's definition was approximately 2565 days, as it was back on Feroroth.) In the end, he decided to persist in life, and joined the Wizard. The wizard taught him all he needed to know.

Intense acceleration, not gravity ;). By "gravitational war" you might mean an orbit at the lagrange point between the stars. These orbits are unstable, so you would get ejected from the system at a certain point. But depending on the separation between the stars it might take a while (you could also have a corkscrew orbit, however unlikely), and it appears he was out of his civilization's reach anyway.

Nebulas are diffuse clouds of nonconcentrated Mana. The wizard may have been likely feeding on mana inside the Zodiacal cloud instead, which would be much closer and within relativistic travel range.

Appearance:
Ferothians never truly evolved any sort of clothing, as they had no need for it. However, masks were soon invented, made out of wood and carved ornately. Resteroth often swaps between masks carved into different forms to express himself.
Powers:
Resteroth has the power to convert mana into basic elements, and can pair mana with already existing elements to create heavier and more complex evidents. He is very good at creating stable elements, but can work with radioactive elements too. He also has the basic powers of a Celestial Wizard.
Stats:
---Basic Arts---
Creation: 2
Reduction: 0
Alteration: 0
Redirection: 0
---Advanced Arts---
Animation: 1
Construction: 2
Destruction: 1

(I apologize if I missed anything, please inform me if I did.
So hyyyyyyped!)

Transmuting elements either requires energy or releases it due to the binding energy of atoms. Mana is made of elements lighter than iron, so combining it into metals would release a ton of energy. This--paradoxically--can be what powers the contraction needed to fuse elements in the first place. The first atom (redirected through Creation) would release enough energy to excite new atoms, making those easier to fuse, and so on. The biggest problem would be that initial reaction, which requires extreme precision (how else do you get two atoms to collide with each other?)

You could try doing this close to stars, perhaps,  for a guaranteed source of high-energy particles. Gives a new meaning to "forged in celestial fire."

Alternatively you could just carry around antimatter trapped inside fullerenes so you can initiate fusion whenever you want with an energy gradient. That works too. But the celestial fire thing is cooler imo.

Sorry if this came out as nitpicky. I like the backstory a lot. Accepted.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:34:10 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 07:44:45 pm »

I'm glad you like the backstory. So does that "Accepted" mean that I'm on the player list? Or does it mean I'm on the list of people that you're considering choosing?
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 08:00:31 pm »

I'm glad you like the backstory. So does that "Accepted" mean that I'm on the player list? Or does it mean I'm on the list of people that you're considering choosing?

Second one. If we only get six total though then I'll run with 6 players.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:37 pm »

Hrm.. Actually, currently not liking the current concept I have. Will get character up when I think of a better character concept.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24